PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

Aquarius Lady
11/09/2003, 10:48 AM
Here is a 'newbie question' for ya....
On the Ricordia rock I have, there is what looks to be Aptasia....Now, I want to be certain before I go plucking anything valuable off with tweezers.... (My Peppermint Shrimp hasn't touched it, whatever it is). What does Aptasia LOOK like? anyone have a link to some photos of it, so I can attempt to identify it?
(It's way to small for me to get a good shot of it with any of my cameras)...
Part 2.
If it IS Aptasia, what method do you recommend for removing it. (Is's a fairly small rock chunck with two ricordia's on it. In fact where these 'aptasia looking things' are, the ricordea seems to be pulling far away from it.)
Thanks in advance!

Troy182
11/09/2003, 12:20 PM
This is the best photo I have

Aquarius Lady
11/09/2003, 12:50 PM
No, this is smaller with maybe only 4-5 translucent little tendrils. It looks like it has a body of a "tude worm" feather/duster with these 4-5 little translucent non-moving "fingers". I don't know if they are just immature Aptasia or some other harmless worm/duster creature.

alan214
11/09/2003, 01:09 PM
Troy's picture is the "classic" example of Aiptasia but without a picture of your's, it hard to say. One thing for sure, if the Ric's aseem to be pulling away, they're probably getting stung.

As for the tweezer approach, if it IS Aiptasia, tweezering it will just cause them to split up and spread (a lot like fire ants!). There are several threads on RC that describe using Kalk mix, lemon juice and other chemicals to "burn" the Aiptasia.

minfinger
11/09/2003, 05:33 PM
Jackie,

If you can get a picture, that would be great.

Aquarius Lady
11/09/2003, 06:18 PM
Oceanarus stopped by today and looked at it,
It was just a new (to me) feather duster/ tube worm kinda thing <g> ;)

minfinger
11/09/2003, 08:01 PM
Cool...Sounds interesting.