PDA

View Full Version : sebae lighting

mr. pluto
06/19/2001, 01:02 AM
whats the general consenses of lighting for a sebae?
i would have 150 watts of pc llghting to work with.(2 blues and 1
10K )

Carlos
06/19/2001, 02:02 PM
What size of tank?

Where will the anemone be located in relation to the light source?

Unfortunately anemones require a little more than just good lighting. There are other factors such as good water quality, food (anemones like to be fed otherwise they would not have digestivle system), oxygen rich water, and good water current.

HTH,

Carlos

mr. pluto
06/20/2001, 01:30 AM
OK,here goes, it resides in a 50 gal 36"x15"x20 .13 month old tank this will be in a soft coral environment so water flow will not be too brisk. it has an over flow to a rufuguim, 20 gal long sump
filled w/ 4" dsb & a macro algea farm. the return is throttled down to a least 250 gph. i have a aqua c remora pro that hangs of the main tank and a hagen 401 powerhead on a wave timer...
the sebae is yellow w/ purple tips and the foot is yellow as well.
lets see, it must sit approx. 10" to the left of centerline,about
10" from lighting and centered front to back. i feed it squid, or fish
pieces.at least twice a week. it seems not to like it so bright so
its fuller w/ the lights off. thats why it's been moved to the side and down some.
it has a maroon clown as its friend who is 3" long, if i figure out how to post a pic i will.
thats all folks...

ReefDomain
06/23/2001, 12:06 AM
REEF DOMAIN (http://www.reefdomain.org)

I have kept a sebae anemone for about 3 months and he is fine. When I got him from my LFS he was about 1 inch in diameter. When I put him in my tank with 1 48" actinic and 1 48" 10k NO bulbs, he opened up to about 7" in diameter. This is in a 55 gallon reef. When I upgraded my lighting he started moving to shady areas and now he's behind the LR and i cant get him. SO I think they like lower light.... But this is my own opinon based on my expeirences, which may not hold true with yours. But I welcome any debate on my findings!

Agu
06/29/2001, 02:43 PM
Mosey,

My sebae is 15" under dual 55pc's and dual no actinics in a 24"long tank. The flow is modest, mag 5 return pump hooked to a spraybar. It's maintained it's color and about doubled it's size in the last year, now about 10" across and looking good.

Based on my short experience your lighting should be fine.

I have no powerheads in my tank and suggest that any powerhead inlet be well protected. Besides a sponge I'd recommend some sort of cage that keeps the anemone at least an inch or two from the powerhead.
fwiw,jmo,

Agu

mr. pluto
06/29/2001, 04:42 PM
thanks, for the reply Agu, mine is looking real good right now too. i was going to put in it in my big tank because i have a bt in there right now but it has over 1000 watts of halide/pc lights.
the bt really likes the light and current.:)