PDA

View Full Version : Pale Watchman Goby

russr
06/18/2001, 11:57 AM
Hi all...

I have a little yellow watchman goby in my 55 that I've had for a few months now. Had him in quarantine for a week and a half before putting him in the tank. Lately, he is very pale...almost white. Occasionally he does this flipping thing on the sand which I can't tell if it is scratching or normal behavior. He is eating fine and has no visible problems other than his color.

From what I've read this is probably some type of protozoan infection...? Is there any type of treatment that would be reef safe? medicated food? He makes his home under a large rock in the middle of the reef structure, so he would be nearly impossible to catch without taking down the whole tank. :(

billsreef
06/18/2001, 10:17 PM
The occasional scratching is not a problem, but if it occurs frequently in a short period of time it is a sign of infection. Do you notice any increase in breathing rates?

The faded color coupled with frequent scratching can indeed be symptomatic of a protozoan infection. Unfortunately a reef safe medication that actually works as yet to be developed. This basically leaves you with 2 options, either find a way of removing the fish to a Q tank for treatment or you can try feeding it high quality foods soaked in Selcon and vitamins and hope that the fishes own immune system will combat the problem.

russr
06/19/2001, 12:18 PM
He does seem to be breathing a bit heavier but not too bad...

I think the second option is the only one I've got. He is still eating well so hopefully good nutrition will help him fight it off.

Thanks!

russr
07/08/2001, 12:54 AM
Update:

I managed to remove the goby today and move him to a Q tank. He is pretty lethargic so it wasn't to hard to get him out.

He did fine for a while, but his condition has deteriorated. He is breathing very heavily and I havent seen him eat in a couple days. His color isn't as bad as it used to be, but he is still a little pale. I don't see any visible problems other than his breathing and color.

Doing some research online but thought I would ask here as well. Any treatment recommendations?

Thanks,

Russ

billsreef
07/08/2001, 09:16 AM
If it isn't too late already, I would go with copper. Cupramine from Sea Chem is my personal preference.