PDA

View Full Version : Lighting plan - need some opinions

VegasMike
11/06/2003, 12:29 PM
Tank dims are 96"x36"x32", real water depth more like 29". I currently have four of the Reef Optix III pendants with 250 watt DE 10000k AB bulbs. I know I will probably have to have another row of lights for the front part of the tank, but I am waiting to see how these look before deciding between 4x72" VHO (2 actinic and two daylight) or more of the RO III 250 watt pendants with 20k bulbs. If I go with the additional RO III pendants, I will alternate them with the 10000k and 20000k bulbs.

My question is this. Given that there will be very few corals, if any in the front 1' of the tank, does the height that the bulbs are above the water make that much of a difference?

Additional considerations - I am planning on two separate racks of lighting for the front and back. My tank is an in-wall, accessible from both the front and the back with walls on either side about 1" from the tank. I planned on mounting tracks on the walls so that the racks would slide front to back. My problem is that I want to be able to move the racks all the way forward or back independently which means that there will be two tracks, one above the other. What are the distance ranges that these lights would be most useful without getting to the danger point? I know the optimum distance for the RO III is for the bottom of the pendant to be 7" from the water level, but since one set needs to be above the other, both can't be "optimum. If I go the VHO route, they can be lower, but how much lower.

I plan on making the rack out of 1" tubular aluminum. Will the 8' span of 1" tubular aluminum have two much bend to be used as a single level rack. Total weight of the light fixtures is not any more than 15 pounds.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

myreef
11/08/2003, 09:37 PM
Mike--I have 7 halides on my 400. 2 400 10k ushios in the back 3 250 watt 20k DE's in the middle and 2 more 10k 400's in the front. They are all about 11" off the surface.....I am not running any actinics. My tank is 84x36x30...so similar dimensions.

In your case, you might want to put the 250's in the front and 400's where your corals will be. This way you could offset the height and not affect anything greatly. I have always run my 400's at least 10" off the surface.....

absolut
11/08/2003, 09:58 PM
myreef,

what brand 20k are you running??

myreef
11/08/2003, 10:39 PM
I am using the XDE bulbs form Hello Lights. I really like them in the 250 configuration especially since they are supplements to the 10k Ushios.