PDA

View Full Version : Which spare parts do you keep around?

uryy4me
11/05/2003, 12:39 PM
Lots of parts go into these systems and keeping a backup of everything is probably not practice, what do you keep spares of?

I keep a fairly good stock of lamps, heaters, test kits, ro/di filters, carbon, polyfilter and additives (kalk, caco3 media, stront). Recently I learned it would be nice to have an extra ballast and now that I am thinking of it realize I probably need a spare main pump from my sump to the tank ...what else?

- scott -

AQUATICADDICTION
11/05/2003, 03:45 PM
spare pumps and ballast are definatlly at the top of the list. but i would put the Sparemain pump at the top . a day or two without light doesnt kill near as much as a day or two of no water movement. PLus Murphy Law allways come into effect. I have Lost 1main pump and 2 ballasts. not at the same time . but it ALWAYS happens on a sundays at about 600pm when all the stores in the area are CLOSED. other than that bulkheads are alway good to have extra of to.

AuroraDave
11/07/2003, 12:55 AM
A spare pump is at the top of my list. Something that can be used as the main circ pump, skimmer or closed loop.
I also have a heater, bulbs, battery powered air pump and just about every possible plumbing part from 3/4" to 2".
One of these days I am going to add a bkup battery pack or gas generator, although I have been saying that for some time.

Loudz34
11/07/2003, 01:41 PM
well i found out its nice to have spare mh bulbs and a ballast around.... and a tube of silcone for that late night leaker......

simonh
11/07/2003, 05:01 PM
Spare return pump. + various other "emergency" spare pumps. Spare ballast + bulbs. Spare heaters. Spare aqua-computer ready to download programming and swap. A few spare plumbing parts suchas o-rings and shut off taps. Petrol generator for emergency power backup.

Spares for the skimmer is something that I don't have! Hmm.. must sort that.