PDA

View Full Version : LFS are killing corals. What can I do??

Pete Jaenecke
11/03/2003, 10:47 AM
Im just woundering if there is somebody that checks out the LFS to see if they have the right "stuff" to keep corals. This store is always killing corals a week after they get them in. they have NO lights 8in hight on the tanks that anenomes are in:mad: What can I do!! Who can I talk to about them!! Any info would really help. Thanks Pete:)

Surf
11/03/2003, 01:13 PM
did you talk to the manager/owner? if it a large chain store, theres usually a regional manager?

I work for a local turtle rescue, when we see this sort of thing and talk with the manager/owner they almost always correct the problem. Most times its done out of ingnorance.

SoKaL ReeFiN
11/03/2003, 01:53 PM
Try talking to the owner. I would think that if the corals were dying each week when they come in, that the store would've done something about it by now.

birdman204
11/04/2003, 04:09 PM
Buy em all and save em yourself!!!

wee-reefer
11/04/2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by birdman204
Buy em all and save em yourself!!!

Hope you're joking! That just makes it worse.

dendronepthya
11/04/2003, 09:54 PM
I would tactfully tell them your opinion of their husbandry techniques. If they choose to ignore you, allow them to continue their current practices and lose thousands of dollars per month. The nice thing about the business world is that it is competitive and there is no place for a vendor that kills more stock then he sells. No pet store can take that kind of loss for an extended period of time. Either they get better or fail and leave the market.

musicsmaker
11/05/2003, 10:32 AM
I would be suspicious of a store that killed every animal they got in, never sold anything, and stayed in business. A pet store would be an easy way to launder money.

birdman204
11/05/2003, 11:24 AM
Of course I was kidding. LOL at Musicmaker...good one....never thought of that.

Pete Jaenecke
11/05/2003, 06:20 PM
The store also sells birds, dogs so they have other money coming in besides just marine fish and corals

WetWilly
11/09/2003, 09:07 AM
you think they kill corals? my guess is the fish casualtys are even worse. I agree with prev posters, if they continute to pour money into livestock and have it die, they wont be in business long. OBTW the biggest offenders of killing things by far are hobbyists.
support coral propogation and online trading communitys and dont by lfs corals (or fish) It can be a tuff hobby:(

technoshaman
11/09/2003, 03:25 PM
There are national chains that have 100% , yes 100%, shrink in their saltwater section nearly every month in some stores. Why oh why would they keep carrying livestock? Seems really senseless to me but instead of 'saving' them just don't patronize those stores that practice poor husbandry and go to the LFS that takes the time to give their livestock some TLC even if it means paying more.

Flanders
11/10/2003, 11:06 AM
OBTW the biggest offenders of killing things by far are hobbyists.

I totally disagree. The biggest offenders people who are supposed to know what they are doing - the people importing and selling. The petcos, and other crap stores like that.

WetWilly
11/10/2003, 01:36 PM
having been on both sides of the eight ball in this issue i can say that importers and wholesalers genarally go to great lengths to keep their stock alive and healthy, as it would be very bad business to sell sick and dying stock. Stop and Shop dont sell rotten peaches rite?(dont answer that.. you get my drift:)) the real trouble starts when the animal leaves the wholesaler and gets to the pet store. ocassionally you find people in charge of the fish dept. that are passionate and knowledgeable about their trade, but my expirience has been that even if you find a place like that, the owners often dont provide him with the resources to upgrade systems ect. These stores make their money selling drygoods, you cant kill dogfood.the livestock loss is written of as a necessary evil to keep up the front of a "real" pet store. Now if you think the people selling the fish are unqualified, who do you think they sell the fish to? We here in these forums are and exception to the rule im afraid. So in a way im really agreeing with you flanders:) theres more to the picture than meets the eye. Support online trading communitys and aquacultured livestock. WetWilly<--------------takes a bow

shaw
11/18/2003, 09:22 PM
i worked at one of those stores for 3 years. i stayed there just to help things out (better procedures, etcc...)
i ended up getting fired because i wouldn't sell enough (hard to keep corals and fish)
just plain sucks, wish i could do something
thanks

Pete Jaenecke
11/18/2003, 10:37 PM
Thanks All, I have the day off of work so I will try to go to this "Pet Store" and take some pics of what Im talking about!!

bachtor
11/18/2003, 10:59 PM
Sometimes it is just stupidity. The local 'national chain' puts their mushrooms, shrimps, snails, and haitian anemomes in the same tanks they treat fish with copper. They're probably looking for someone more clueless to actually buy the stuff and then wonder why they die.

wwxc
11/22/2003, 03:04 AM
Aside from the national chains, I've noticed the pet stores that keep going out of business are the ones with the dying corals, sick fish, and usually the lowest prices.

The ones that have stuck around always keep their livestock alive, have great displays, and usually have a quarantine system in the back and will let you know the exact date they recieved each animal. Their prices are usually higher, but it all works out in the end.

Good think capitalism is alive and well in this country, I just wish there was a better way of weeding out the bad lfs.

tylinbrando
12/03/2003, 02:02 AM
Just had to add to this thread. About 8 months ago Lfs almost exclusively devoted to aquatic sopened near me. They had a modest display set up for the selling of corals. The lighting was 4 pendants with maybe a total of 36w 50/50 pc each pendant. THe holding tanks were 3 feet below the light with a total of 100--150 gallons (4 tanks)
They would get their new corals in from Los Angeles every monday and a few times I bought showquality corals but each time I scolded them harshly for their pitiful lighting arrangement. I promised them that if corals remained longer than a week or so under that lighting they would lose the livestock. I would visit at least 2 or 3 times a week and comment on the dying creatures to the point that I am sure all the employees hated me.
I would offer suggestion for lighting and even offered to start a donation cup for an "upgraded lighting for corals" cup at the register.
Long story short. just a month ago they installed MH pendants and lowered the F()*($*& lights. Now the corals are happy and surviving and look a thousand times better.
SPEAK UP AND DRIVE EM CRAZY TILL THEY CHANGE OR GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS!!!!

Kurant
12/08/2003, 05:23 AM
Man I thought you were talking about one of the LFS here in Alaska, it's terrible.

One LFS has a tank LOADED with Aptasia. I mean, clowns could host in these things, they are huge. The tanks are only skimmed, with water changes probably keep the params in check, but they are loaded with hair algae. There is so much hair algae and other stuff in the tank, there is a blenny that's skin has been dyed from algae, it's horrible.

The other LFS has decent corals, but coupled with below average regular flourescent lighting, bad water quaity, tons of apstasia, and insane prices, they just die and go to waste.

xxaquanutxx
12/17/2003, 11:32 PM
I am sure there is like an Animal police that you can contact. THey will go in and take a look and if they see anything wrong they will write the owners a warning and tell them to fix it. If they come back and it is not fixed then they'll get fined.. See it on animal planet all the time!

staticfishmonger
12/19/2003, 10:35 PM
its a conspiracy.

tylinbrando
12/20/2003, 01:17 AM
How is it a conspiracy? Please tell!!!

vitz
01/09/2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by technoshaman
There are national chains that have 100% , yes 100%, shrink in their saltwater section nearly every month in some stores. Why oh why would they keep carrying livestock? Seems really senseless to me but instead of 'saving' them just don't patronize those stores that practice poor husbandry and go to the LFS that takes the time to give their livestock some TLC even if it means paying more.

people who buy livestock, also buy the supplies for caring for that livestock ;p

many lfs's see livestock as a write off to begin with, it's factored into the prices of all the dry goods/supplies, rest assured;)

pet stores can stay in bizness for YEARS before closing, (or not), doing nothing but killing what they don't soon sell

i know of a such a store -that used to be primo, 'A'#1 years ago.
the owner decided to run it into the ground, and sell mostly dog food, now-l/r is just rotting in 1/2 filled tanks, and the fishroom is just disgusting-literally, it stinks.

and yet-he's doin quite well, hehe

vitz
01/09/2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by xxaquanutxx
I am sure there is like an Animal police that you can contact. THey will go in and take a look and if they see anything wrong they will write the owners a warning and tell them to fix it. If they come back and it is not fixed then they'll get fined.. See it on animal planet all the time!

fish/corals are not legally designated as 'pets'

musicsmaker
01/09/2004, 11:11 PM
EDIT: Ha, I didn't even realize that I already said that.

frog_toad_99
01/21/2004, 03:34 AM
Lets be honest until hobbyists are ready to pay more and have far less options we will ALL continue to be a MAJOR part of the problem- yes myself included.