PDA

View Full Version : Pyramindellidae - Snail's on Maxima and Crocea

DeepBlueSea
06/16/2001, 07:24 AM
Issue Topic Snail Infestiation....

After 7 years of reef keeping, last Februrary (2001), I purchased my first clams. A 3" Maxima and a 2"Crocea. The clams have been doing very well in the SPS dominate tank. Yesterday, while admiring them, I noticed white snails over the outer fringe of the clams, so I immediatly reached for the bookshelf and grabed Giant Clams by Daniel Knop. Page 105 has my snail identified as Pyramidnelliadae. Seem's like I shouldn't worry that much, as long as I remove the parisitic snail on a regular basis and make sure they don't overcome the snail's.

Yesterday (6/15) I removed the clams from the tank, and scrubbed the shells with a tooth brush. This morning I checked the waterbath that I cleaned the clams in and there were a lot more snail's then I origianlly thought. I also noticed a couple more snail's still on the clams themselves. I'll attempt to remove more snail's today.

My question though.... Should I continue to scrub them with the toothbrush? What other methods are there to remove the snails? Will I continue to have these outbreaks? What can I do to assist with erradicating these snails?

Thanks in advance,

Deep Blu

MiNdErAsR
06/16/2001, 08:41 AM
Keep removing those snails. Check at night as this is when they are most active. Also look for (and remove) any gelatinous masses (egg cases), which more than likely can be found within the scutes.

Certain wrasses can be used as a natural method of removal, but this IME can be hit or miss. These same wrasses will also target the infauna we try so desperately to maintain. And good luck trying to remove that wrasse when the job is over.

My method of removal was to create a syphon, using a combination of rigid and soft airline tubing. Then syphoning into a brine shrimp net over a bucket. This is less stressful to the clam, and you can return the water to the tank when you're finished. You'll have to be diligent though as these snails are persistant.

Good luck.

OrionN
06/16/2001, 01:14 PM
Remove these snails as often as you can for a while (daily or every few days). When you notice there are very few snails or none, check your clams weekly for at least 4-6 weeks more. There is no way you can see all the eggs, so you will have new snails hatched. You need to remove all these snails too. The time these snails grow from hatchling to reproducing adults is about 3-4 weeks. After you see no snails for 6 weeks, you are homefree. You need to do these for all your clams in the tank at the same time. Once the snail is eliminated from your tank (you think) you should check by looking at the clams at night once in a while. You don't need to take them out of the tank anymore. Using this method, I was able to get my tank Pyramidnelliadae free and all my 12 clams thriving. None of my clams attach to rock. They are all on the sand.
Good luck

APynckel
06/16/2001, 11:46 PM
I FOUND A COOL NEW WAY TO GET THOSE ANNOYING CLAM KILLERS OFF YOUR CLAMS!!

First take some small diameter silicon tubing, start a siphon, and suck the basstards off!! WUAHAHAHA

:smokin:

APynckel
06/16/2001, 11:48 PM
deep blue check out my post!

DeepBlueSea
06/17/2001, 01:10 PM
All,

Thanks for the feedback, I will attempt the siphon method.

As for egg masses.... Where are these masses and what do they look like. Can they be seen with the naked eye?

Since removing the clams 72 hour's ago, they are once again secreting there gelatenus mucus. Should I attempt to siphon this also?

Deep Blue