PDA

View Full Version : bubble coral dying... aything I can do to save it?

Aaron
11/01/2003, 07:58 PM
After a kalk accident two weeks ago, my bubble coral has barely any bubbles (all small also) inflated. over the past few days I can really see the skeleton now.

any ideas on how to save?

muzzelfuzz
11/01/2003, 09:27 PM
yeah bring it over to my house and put it in my tank........

dmorel
11/02/2003, 12:09 AM
Keep the coral clean, making sure it gets low flow to keep any dead tissue from staying on the coral. Do some water changes, plenty of smaller ones rather then large changes, and run a little carbon for a while. It's hit or miss frankly, but you don't want to go and do anything drastic right now. Give it plenty of time to recover.

Good luck,
-dm

Aaron
11/02/2003, 09:35 AM
the incident was almost two weeks ago. I have been monitoring the water since then and the params are all excellent. It is strange that is has taken this long to really take its toll.

dmorel
11/02/2003, 10:46 AM
perhaps it was not the kalk accident then, anything else that could be causing the coral distress?
-dm

reef_freak_hou
11/02/2003, 12:49 PM
I've had bubble corals do similar things. Started with areas of small or non-existant inflation. I wish I could be more help on the cause.

I would agree on the advice not to do anything hasty. I have a friend who "lost" his large bubble. He kept the skeleton in the tank as part of his aquascaping. In a few months the skeleton is showing signs of budding all over it. Very cool looking.

Aaron
11/02/2003, 02:43 PM
It was definitely the kalk that caused the issue... my goldencrown leather has a few "damaged" spots (they are almost healed now), the frogspawn had two heads die, and my colt and torch has been deflated ever since. :(

I moved the bubble coral to get a tad more flow (still low flow) and it does look as if the white tissue is "parting" at several very very small areas. there are still 6-8 very small bubbles inflated. so, I double checked all the water params... and now it is a waiting game.