PDA

View Full Version : New cooling solutions for nano reefs !!

Pseudo Boy
06/14/2001, 12:06 PM
Hello all,

I am trying to find some new ways to make our nano reefing experinces better and more fullfilling. I had a problem a few days ago with heat in my tank and short of putting a sump on my tank the options were really limited.

I do not want to keep puttin ice into the tank, I don't want to set up a sump because of the fear of overflows, refugiums were to big or ugly. As some of you know I was looking at the Ice probe chiller which would work but I have a room constraint. So I was back to square one. What to do ??

Chris is bored asked me "Why don't you build your own" and I thought about it. First it was possible but I would have the same problem as before even if it did save money, "how to apply it".

And now I might have found something. There is a company the makes a Petier cooler that has all internal components including pumps, variable return flow and is able to drop the temperature by 10 degrees. They have several size units so can be used on different size applications (small volumes of liquid to large volumes), and best of all" can be remotely located " .

I am waiting for more information on these units (price is a major consideration for us) power usage, Actual size of unit, ect...

As I find more info I will pass it on to you guys and gals.

Timbo, now this is what I should have answered to your question "Don't you wish you had" .You made me really work for this one bro. I am trying to impress you man.:D :D

Sorry the post is so long:smokin:

Pseudo

nvillacci
06/14/2001, 12:54 PM
Well there are a few problems with Peltiers. First off I have some experience with them as they are used in computers often to make the Processor faster. In order to make your Processor aka CPU faster it need to be tricked into thinking it is a faster model. Nothing to that except flipping some switches. Also the wattage must go up to keep the CPU working corectly. This is where the peltier comes in.

Peltiers basically are flat little pads. Imagine a 3x3 inch piece of tiel and thats a peltier. What it does is take all the heat on one side and puts it on the other side. So in effect you have a freezer on one side and a Radiator on the other side. This can cause ice to form on the cold and burnt fingers(or fish) on the other. A good way to incorporate a peltier is to pump some water through a metal block attached to the cold side, in essence a cooler. But you have to get rid of the intense heat on the other side.

BEsides the thermo problems, peltiers take a large ammount of wattage to operate, somewhere between 30-50 watts of energy. Thats alot!

Just a headsup and keep us posted:)
Nick

Timbo
06/14/2001, 01:36 PM
Pseudo,

Its great to see this board being used both to discuss nano's but also to discuss our ventures in building stuff for nanos ;) It sounds like you have a great lead on your hands, good luck in following it through. As for me, I've been successful in finding a micro peristaltic dosing pump, now I just have to research cheap means of modulating the flow on a DC motor and some of you guys might be using $85 tiny dosing pumps within the next few months.

Keep us posted Pseudo!!!

Tim

nvillacci
06/14/2001, 01:43 PM
Jus tseeing how much your asking and the specs on it:)

l8rs :smokin: Nick(who doesnt really smoke)

Timbo
06/14/2001, 04:32 PM
nvillacci,

ain't gonna happen any time soon but i'll let you all know when it does.

Tim

ChrisIsBored
06/15/2001, 11:19 AM
Hey Pseudo Boy, good to see you're still at it.

I came up with another idea of keeping the water temp. down for our nano's. And computer overclocking comes to the rescue again.

A few days ago I posted a thread about metals and salt water, in essence in my mind was to create something like this...

http://www.leufkentechnologies.com/graphics/image46.gif

which would be of use for our tanks. Apply one nice sized fan onto the radiator, and some hose with a small pump on one end, and the cooled metal should help lower the temp a few degrees.

I'm still working on that, but it's not of great importance to me since I don't have any heat problems as of yet.

Just another route for you to take to find a working solution for ya. ;)

Good luck!

Q-ball
06/15/2001, 11:35 AM
Sweet! That's all my coworker's gotta see, a radiator on my "fish tank", they'll really think I'm nuts then! LOL!!! I think that idea's got some potential though...

Q!!!