PDA

View Full Version : New Reefer. Random Thoughts.

clay3482
10/30/2003, 02:34 AM
Just wanted to say hi.
My wife and I are new to reefing. Actually I bought my first small coral fragments today, wednesday at fish tales in Rainbow City. I was at a doctor's appointment in Gadsden and I decided to look up the local fish store. I live about 1 mile from Georgia and do most of my shopping, work, etc in Georgia. Let me say that when I walked in "Fish Tales" my jaw droped.

I want to make it clear, after seeing the corals in FT's I am more than ever dedicated to reefing long term. I was given a 125 G tank. It has been set up for about 8 weeks. I have 3 metal halide lamps. I also have a sump with protein skimmer. One day I hope to have a reef comparable to the one's in FT's. There was one coral, somthing, it was white and was little bity circles. It just pulsated. I will get one of those. I could have looked at it for hours.

Through my research it seems that just about everybody in this hobby has on average only been it for about 2 years. Why is the experience level or the lack of stick to it so prelevant? I don't know if it's water leaks, tired of everything dying, no patience, but I think some of it might be that we seem to be in a big damn hurry in everything in our lives and therefor when our tanks are not Picture perfect in 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years we stop. I think it is easier to give up fish tanks than cats or dogs. Honestly how many people would keep buying dogs and cats if every animal they bought came with different instructions, and after every effort they died anyway?

I am looking forward to sharing anything i have learned or any of my sand, rock, fish, inverts etc with any and all in this group. All you have to do is email me and I will try to help all I can. I have ran power Plants for 13 years, I know alot about water chemistry, techincal crap, however not alot of practical that applies to reefs.

I learned 3 new reef thingys today.
1) Get some activated carbon. Put it in a panty hose. rinse it. rinse it again. rinse it alot. put it (still encased in the panty hose) in the sump. replace a spoonful 1 a week.

2) For a great Refregium line the bottom of your fish tank with plywood. some lights. and finally pond liner and voila instant 100 gallon refugium. total cost 15 to 50 bucks.

3) use this stuff called kalkwasser. 1/4 tspn per gallon. mix with water in container. let sit for 24 hours. skim crap off of top and add just the water that is between the top layer of scum and the bottom. never put the kalkwasser directly in the fish tank. add it as told above.

4) i know i said 3 but remembered one more. 1 snail per 1 to 1.5 gal of water. so for a 125 gallon tank were talking 100 snails, also 100 blue crabs. man thats alot of algae eaters.

anyway see yawl later
talk later.
clay

clay3482
10/30/2003, 02:46 AM
I couldn't help it.

Just had to say that I want one of those Oyster thingys real bad.

speakeraddict
10/30/2003, 09:42 AM
I think that most people have only been in reef keeping because it has only become affordable and easily obtainable in the last few years.

I have been into reefs since the dark days of UG filters and in the tank PVC skimmers. I love them and only gave them up for four years because of a divorce.

I agree with the patience thing. My wife kept going "when are we going to get fish in there" every day for a month. I had 7 coral frags before I ever put in a fish. (damsel last night). The tank was completely cycled without fish and was at 0 on all tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate before I put anything live in it except macro algae.

Anyhow, glad to have you aboard! I will be making a batch of aragocrete rocks in the next couple weeks with some other folks from the group. You are welcome to attend. We will be needing some live rock rubble to seed the liverock once it has cured so feel free to donate.

speakeraddict

Westpat
10/30/2003, 02:20 PM
Clay,
You are very lucky to have inherited such a nice system to start you off in reefing. This is a great resource also. If you have a question or concern than someone on Reef Central has had it before you.

I am sorry I did not make a formal introduction yesterday, because I was in Fish Tails at the same time you were. For someone starting in the hobby that is about a nice a selection and staff as you could ask for.

Speakeraddict is right, the hobby has only become widespread in the last 7 or 8 years, and really in the SOuth over the last 5. So that is why there are not alot of 15 or 20 year people. In fact RC has only been around for 4 years or so.

The part about the activated carbon is not incorrect, but there are differing views. If you do a waterchange like Phillip everyweek, then carbon is fine. If you only change once a month than carbon can pull out the good minerals as well as the waste.

For those things you want, Xenia, the white stuff, and a clam, maybe not an oyster, best to give the tank a year or so to mature before adding them. (Lots of reasons for doing so.)

There is a book I would reccomend called The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Palletta, it is a must for entering the hobby!
Read it, you will learn alot. Iknow I did!

Also try out thereeftank.org, there are a ton of GA reefers with lots of experience that frequent that place. Post on the Atlanta Reef Club Forum, you will find someone close to you.

I hope to see you at Fish Tails on the 8th for the seminar, and welcome aboard!

David West II