PDA

View Full Version : Big System, Many Questions

calihawker
10/29/2003, 12:33 AM
Geetings Anthony!

I'm setting up a new system and I'm at the stage now where I can build anything and do everything right the first time. I'll just tell you what my plans are and you can correct me as I go.

The display tank is 300 gallons it has 2 corner overflows each with 2, 1-1/4 inch bulk heads, (total of 4 is that gonna cut it?). 50 gallon sump, 60 gallon refugium, protein skimmer and calcium reactor all from Lifereef.

Water flow:
A dolphin 3600 will pump into 2 sea swirl ocillating units for the majority of the circulation. The tank is 8 feet long and my plan is to have sps stonies on one side, soft corals on the other and a clam bed in the middle. So I was think of adding a flush type system as described by Eric Borneman to fascilitate natural water motion on the sps side of the tank. Either that or a manifold system with pumps hooked up to a wave maker. I don't want one stinkin' power head in my tank! If I decide on the toilet flusher how much water and how often do you think should run through it?

Filtration:
The refugium will have a plenum but do you think I would benifit from a plenum in the display tank? If not I'm thinking a DSB seeded with live sand. 4-6 inches of aragonite? Any thoughts? The refugium will be above the display tank to overflow into it and avoid running all those micro critters through a centrifigul nightmare. How many gph should I run through the refugium? Because of the mixture of species I was going to use activated charcoal in the sump.

Lighting:
Right now I have 4 250 watt MH multi spectrum and 4 actinics. Again I was going to shift the lighting to the sps side of the tank but I think there's going to have to be some experimenting on my part to see who needs what, when.

Any way, thats all I can think of right now. I'm sure ther'll be more later. I've been away from the hobby for quite some time and decided to jump back in the water in a big way!
Thanks for all your help and hope to here from you soon!

Steve

Anthony Calfo
10/29/2003, 12:47 AM
Cheers Steve...

very good to see your endeavor and homework in advance. Ingredients for success :)

To summarize... these overflows do not have a prayer of keeping up with your pump(s) large enough to avoid the use of powerheads. You will need more or larger holes here. Calculate your running water flow first, then see the bulkhed mfg specs on flow tolerances.

Your refugium also does not need a plenum (I have done extensive work with them and find plenums to neither help nor harm measurably on our small scale aquaria... more so for enormous displays.) Your 'fuge is also on the small side for a tank this big (especially with hope of having heavy sps planktivores). 20-40% of the display size is the minumim (public aquaria go 1:1!).

for more refugium concepts... do see if you can find/peep my new book "Reef Invertebrates" which has extensive coverage of refugiums, plants, algae, live sand, DSBs etc [around 100 pages just to these].

Your lighting with 4 250 watt MHs will be just fine even with sps corals. Trust me: 400 watt + MHs are grossly abused by too many aquarists IMO.

Seek some 10K lamps if you opt for shallow water sps corals... or lean 20K Radium for deeper water Montiporas or LPS corals.

best regards,

Anthony