PDA

View Full Version : Do you silicon your Bulkheads ???

VegasMike
10/28/2003, 06:12 PM
Do any of you silicon your bulkheads in addition to relying on the rubber gaskets? Given the pressure that is on some of these bulkheads and the extreme hastle to get to some of them, does this make sense?

I have never had a bulkhead leak, but I just wanted your thoughts. Draining 450 gallons would not be fun.

Twize
10/28/2003, 06:19 PM
VegasMike
Great topic. Are you refering to silicon on your BH's in a closed loop vs. BH in your overflows?

ButterfyBoy
10/28/2003, 06:59 PM
I've always found it to be a good idea. IME even overflow bulkheads under no pressure will sometimes leak just a little, and the gaskets can deteriorate with age and uv exposure, etc. Silicone doesnt adhere too well to plastic, either, so its usually easy enough to take it off again if you need to make a change or something.

VegasMike
10/28/2003, 07:05 PM
Twize,

Yes, my primary concern are the bulkheads in the main tank, but the overflow bulkheads are still a concern, just to a lesser extent. Now, if one were to silicon their bulkheads for an added seal, which part would you apply the silicon to? Would you do it between the gasket and the tank, the gasket and the bulkhead or both. Or would you just go over the top and silicon the hell out of the hole (least likely approach in my view)?

Mike

ButterfyBoy
10/28/2003, 07:21 PM
When I've done this in the past (and I've done on the order of 200 or so) I've basically put silicone liberally on both sides of the gasket before assembling the bulkhead in the hole. There's usually a fair amount of silicone that squeezes out around the edge of the bulkhead (and back onto the threads on the other side of the glass); I just smooth this out to make a neat seal around the edges. This has worked well for me.

ORLANDO
10/28/2003, 08:01 PM
yes, i have that problem right now , one of my bulkheads in the overflow is leaking not much but you can see the salt built up, so take my advise and please,do put silicon on it.

myreef
10/28/2003, 09:25 PM
I started using silicone on my bulkheads when I set up my 400. I put some on the bulkhead flange itself, then put on the gasket, but don't press down hard. Then I put some more on the other side of the gasket itself, then install. Let it cure and I have never had a leak from any I have done this way....it may be anal, but better that than 400 gallons of water on the floor. I have several bulkheads 6" from the bottom of the tank in the back.....

VegasMike
10/29/2003, 12:43 PM
What type of silicon did you use? Where did you get it?

Thanks,

Mike

uryy4me
10/29/2003, 01:21 PM
If I recall correctly I used a GE product I picked up at HD, think it was called Silicone II (comes in a tube like caulk). I used it liberally and found that I had to be very careful with it when tighting down the bulkhead to make sure the gasket did not bind in any way. In retrospect I wonder if a silicone based plumbers grease would have worked better?

ButterfyBoy
10/29/2003, 06:00 PM
I use a silicone made especially for aquarium use. Perfecto MFG. sells theirs in a gun-type tube as well as the little squeeze tubes, and this is definitely the way to go if you're doing a lot of fittings. The problem with most home-depot type silicones -- leaving aside the issue of any toxic mildewcides, etc -- is that most are not designed for continuous immersion. Windows, showers, that kind of thing, don't stay underwater all the time, which can be pretty hard on a silicone not made for it. The silicone grease is great for use as a thread lubricant (though teflon pipe compound works better) and also for lubricating o-rings, but I personally wouldnt use it on bulkheads. IME it's messy and because it never fully cures it can get squeezed out over time, causing the seal to loose some of its effectiveness. Plus, there's that nasty "my hand is covered in vaseline" feeling every time you brush against the bulkhead cleaning the tank or whatever and get some on you.

myreef
10/29/2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by uryy4me
If I recall correctly I used a GE product I picked up at HD, think it was called Silicone II (comes in a tube like caulk). I used it liberally and found that I had to be very careful with it when tighting down the bulkhead to make sure the gasket did not bind in any way. In retrospect I wonder if a silicone based plumbers grease would have worked better?

I used the same stuff...I also used it in black. I bought mine at Lowes, but Home Depot carries it as well.

z28pwr
10/30/2003, 04:49 PM
Home depot sells one that specifically says is Aquarium Safe.

ReeferMac
11/04/2003, 04:37 PM
Had the same problem on my new tank. Gaskets didn't seem to help much (as I tried several on the one hole, and nothing would get it to seal). I finally just siliconed the crap out of everything, and let it setup overnight. Getting a subtle leak and a little salt from the one, but nothing I can't handle ;)

- Mac

Dakan
11/04/2003, 05:26 PM
I wish I would have used silicone on the two bulkheads on the bottom of my tank. They both leaked for several weeks untill enough salt creep built up to stop it. The salt creep is slowly growing bigger so I know the leak is still there. If I was to clean away the salt they would most likly start leaking again. If and when I get a bigger tank I will silicone them just to be safe.

untico
11/05/2003, 12:20 AM
Last time I saw a bulkhead on the bottom of a tank it leaked and what a mess. I would use an acrylic adhesive and will never leak. If you ever have to change the bulkhead (don't see why) you could knock if off. It will be hard to remove but not impossible and don't have to worry about leaks at all.

ChrisB
11/06/2003, 01:03 AM
myreef - How many bulkheads do you have coming out the back?

You have yours 6" above the bottom, do you have elbows on the inside going up to the level you want?

What diameter are your bulkheads? Sorry for all the questions, I am a newbie building my own tank, and I am a little confuse about the whole bulkhead setup. The tank will be 96x36x26 and this is what I was planning:
4 - 2" bulkheads coming out the back and connecting to one 4" main which would flow into the 150 sump. From there I wanted to go into a single pump and tee off the return (part to the refugium, rest back into the tank). Does this sound ok?

Also, where is the best place to buy 2" bulkheads? I am assuming you drill a 2" hole? Do these 2" bulkhead fittings fit 2" PVC piping?

Gudwyn
11/06/2003, 02:18 AM
It's definitely not a 2" hole for a 2" bulkhead. Check the sizes online anywhere you can buy bulkheads. A 1.5" bulkhead from Marine Depot needs a 2.375" hole. But that can vary by vendor and sch80 vs sch40 pvc.

I have the 1.5" memorized since my soon to be delivered tank has 5 of those drilled in the bottom. Three are not protected by the overflow, so theres gonna be a whole lot of prayin and siliconin goin on round here next week...

ReeferMac
11/06/2003, 06:36 AM
Ditto what Gudwyn said. I used 2" BH's from Aquatic Ecosystems on my tank, and I think the holes had to be 2.5 inches diameter? Could be wrong, check your bulkheads first.

- Mac

untico
11/07/2003, 09:30 AM
bulkhead 1/2" hole size 1 1/8" $6.50
bulkhead 1" hole size 1 3/4" $7.50
bulkhead 1 1/2" hole size 2 3/8" $8.50
bulkhead 2" hole size 3" $11.00

at MarineDepot.com

If you are putting bulkheads at the bottom of the tank consider using acrylic glue (especially if it's a permanent setup. They'll never leak. ) The glue will melt the bulkhead to the acrylic of the tank and will become one piece. However if you ever want to remove them you can still knock them off, it's hard but they'll come of. I always use some silicone around the whole joint just in case but I've never had one leak period.

VegasMike
11/19/2003, 12:53 PM
The Ge Silicon Type II says specifically that it is not for use on aquariums. IS there some reason that you decided to use it even though it gives that specific warning? Id it because they do not want people using it to put aquariums together or could it be leaching something harmful into the water or could it just be that it wasn't designed for continuous immersion?

Trek Rider
11/19/2003, 01:08 PM
Check out:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=267446&highlight=silicon

I used 100% silicon with "safe for food contact" on the label. I don't remember other specifics.

grunstad
11/19/2003, 03:50 PM
silicone on bulkhead = BAD

dkh0331
11/19/2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by grunstad

grunstad,
Why is it bad?

David

myreef
11/19/2003, 04:02 PM

Care to be more specific? I have had mine on my tank for over a year now...no troubles at all.

reaper10
11/19/2003, 08:17 PM
Never siliconed a BH and never had problem with 7 tanks, there is no need to with the gasket, even with a sloppy hole, have a problem now with a slip to slip BH leaking internaly, but never externaly, the slip to slip BH's seemed to be a sloppy fit with 1" thin wall pvc, will never buy a slip to slip BH again.

Reaper10

uryy4me
11/19/2003, 09:41 PM

I'm interested too

ChrisB
11/20/2003, 08:54 AM
Me too...... grunstad? Why is this? WE NEED TO KNOW! :)

Gudwyn
11/23/2003, 07:26 PM
Everyone says hand tight plus a quarter turn. In the past that worked fine for me. But my 1.5" bulkheads are to large for my pliers. What tool do you use to get that extra 1/4 turn? It's kinda tricky also because the nuts are recessed into holes in my stand so I need something like a huge socket wrench.

Anyone have suggestions?

discocarp
11/24/2003, 10:24 AM
Channel locks work normally. I'm not sure about your space constraints, you'll have to decide that yourself.

Channel Locks (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00942743000)

Peter

Dakan
11/24/2003, 11:21 AM
Gudwyn.
Let me know what you find to tighten your bulkheads. My bulkheads are also recessed and since I don't want to take my tank apart I have just been dealing with a small leak. I would like to fix it though.

Dakan
11/24/2003, 11:21 AM
delete

ReefRelated
11/25/2003, 11:14 AM
I have never used silicone in 10 years of reef keeping and many different tanks and I have yet to have a leak or salt creep. Like other have said, you must tighten the nut with a big wrench. Now this is not saying silicone isn't good I just have never done it. IMO, if I was to use silicone, I would probably not use the rubber gasket. The silicone would be my seal. It just seems more logical to choose one type of seal, either silicone or the rubber gasket, not combine the two. I would think you could have more of a chance of leakage using both together. I'm sure we all have done it many different ways with success, these are just my thoughts. Maybe this is what grunstad was thinking also.

ChrisB
11/25/2003, 09:55 PM
Which part of the bulkhead goes on the inside? The smooth round piece with the threaded extension? or the collar/nut that screws onto it.
I am guessing you stick the threaded end thru the hole from the inside and screw the gasket and nut on from the outside. IS this right?

Gudwyn
11/26/2003, 12:21 AM
The gasket is always on the flange side. Never on the same side as the nut. Doesn't matter whether you put the flange on the inside or outside of the tank. Or at least that's the story.

BTW. I'll be doing water test late tonight or tommorow. No silicon. Used an adjustable wrench I found at HD in the plumbing section. Piece of *#?@ thing but they are hand tight plus a quarter turn. I'm feeling kinda nervous but it's too late now. Half way thru cementing on 7 union-ball-valves (this is a brain oxygen replenishment break). After that it requires destryoying the bulkhead if I want to remove it. Should have used double threaded, but threaded connections always strike me as untrustworthy.

Good luck to all. Hope your floors stay dry and your spouse stays cooperative. Sorry bout the rambling - that purple primer has me seeing spots.

ChrisB
11/26/2003, 06:36 AM
Thanks,

I will be putting the flange on the inisde.

One side of the gasket has some grooves in it. Do these grooves go against the flange side or the tank side?

ReefRelated
11/26/2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by ChrisB
Thanks,

I will be putting the flange on the inisde.

One side of the gasket has some grooves in it. Do these grooves go against the flange side or the tank side?
The grooves go on the tank side or against the glass and I always recomend the flange go on the inside for the best results. I know some people lack room under there tanks and have to put the flange on the outside but if you have the choice, stick it on the inside. Like Gudwyn said, the gasket must always be against the flange no matter which side of the tank it's on.