PDA

View Full Version : Local "goodies"???

Aquarius Lady
10/27/2003, 06:27 PM
I know that Tideline gets a lot of it's red algae, glass shrimp and other things locally out of the waters here (not sure where), what about any of you in the hobby??
2 years ago, before I HAD a SW tank set up, while just swimming with the family (I can't remember if it was Sullivans Isle or I.O.P) we found TWO healthy & happy sea hares, and also a huge chunk of Sargasso sea weed and inside it (swimming with it) was several types of tiny file fish, shrimps and other live goodies (including a sargasso crab that had gorgeous yellow and blue fringe on it!) Of course on the sand you can find TONS of little hermit crabs, sea stars on occasion, and yes once I even found an INTACT shark egg! (The little shark fetus nearly fully devloped was dead though).
Any of you collect locally? Are the local hermit safe to use in reef tanks (assuming you quarentine them first and the whole 9 yards?) We are going this upcoming sunday, (with our shrimp net) and was wondering your suggestions, input (your best finds) and if there is a GOOD place to collect?
Thanks in Advance
Warmly,

minfinger
10/27/2003, 07:14 PM
I have heard of some people taking the Sea Fans out of the river and from the beach home into their tanks. They live for a while, but eventually die.

A few people in the group also get snails from the salt marshes.

skipm
10/27/2003, 09:23 PM
One of the biggest things that I am afraid of is introducing some sort of natural disease or pathogen that wild animals have developed a defense for, since I have some captive bred animals plus corals and fish that are not native to the area I would be afraid that I might introduce something that they have no defenses for. JMO, Skip
PS I too have heard of others that have gone snail collecting locally as well as a friend of mine that likes to keep local fishes.

Aquarius Lady
10/27/2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by skipm
One of the biggest things that I am afraid of is introducing some sort of natural disease or pathogen that wild animals have developed a defense for, since I have some captive bred animals plus corals and fish that are not native to the area I would be afraid that I might introduce something that they have no defenses for. JMO, Skip
PS I too have heard of others that have gone snail collecting locally as well as a friend of mine that likes to keep local fishes.

Very true, the other thing is, that so close to shore the animals (plants) are subjected to being hit by pollution/industrial run off etc. I suppose one could always set up another mini for local stuff (or just have a nice quarentine tank) I am probably going next weekend to one of the beaches known to not be near any industrial areas (like Edisto, etc) I will look, but I will not just dump anything into the current tank, I agree with you Skip, not unless the newcomers get a NICE long quarentine time, really the only thing I was looking for was maybe any hermits or just to see what is out there :fish1:

Simbo18
10/28/2003, 08:13 AM
Our local snails are worthless, that's not joke either. They REQUIRE a place to roam outside of the tank, so if you would like some be sure to donate your floor for the snails to raom on.
The sea fans will live as long as you feed them, they do not and cannot use light for food so require phyto, rotifers, and maybe even pods to use as a food sorce. If you do supply the sea fans with sufficient amounts food (amounts that would pollute your tank) they will do very well for you. I used to grow phyto but my culture crashed because I contaminated all my phyto with rotifers.... lol and raiseing phyto is really a big pain in the butt.
Contamination of your tank is a big deal. It all depends on when you collect spesimens from the harbor/beach/marsh. There are different pasrasites/jellyfish (fry?)/ dynoflagellates/ and who knows what else out there at different times of the year due to extreme temperature changes. But a word of caution, if you do collect from the harbor and even some spots at the beach, if you get something you don't want it will be extremely hard to kill. As everyone knows we have major rivers dumping tons of fresh water into the harbor and that causes a salinity change and temp. change off the scale which the animals have adapted to. So these animals are exptremely hardy. Just be careful as to what you add.

Luke

Aquarius Lady
10/28/2003, 04:49 PM
What are these "Grass or Glass shrimps" some people have caught locally to use as feeder shrimp? (I believe one LFS even slowly acclimates them to fresh for feeders??)
1) Are these reef safe?
2)Anyone know where I would go after these? I live real close to the Ashley, but up in the Summerville area.
Who knows if there is ever an intrest (Club wise) maybe we could go to one of the beaches, marshes or inlets, cast some shrimp nets and see what we can find?? (Consider it a field trip! Haha!)
As many suggested (for safety of hard worked Reef tanks) the inhabitants we catch or examine could be useful for setting up a "Local Tank" or something. (Maybe that will be another project. A Nano "local" tank. ) I still like Mfingers Nano tank and may do that as well.....
Oh you all are going to get me in Soooo much trouble with the spouse! ;) Soon there will be tanks, refugiums and frag tanks all over! (I have a couple 10 & 5 gallons that have nothing in them at the moment! their just sitting there calling to me) :D

Simbo18
10/28/2003, 05:56 PM
Those glass shrimp are everywhere, I know exactly where to get them but they are only around in the summer, the water is already too cold for them, I should know I surf in it every day. LOL. But maybe next summer we could take a trip out to DNR and catch a couple hundred. lol
I belive they would be alright to put in a reef tank, considering they are mostly scavengers. I don't think you would want to put them in a "reef" tank they don't look all that great, lol they would proably go unnoticed for quite a while. I think the "local" tank is a great idea.

Luke