PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Question. Sander Skimmer.

Gliu
06/12/2001, 10:18 PM
anyone ever try one of these the Sander Piccolo skimmer? its airstone driven and seemed rather interesting since it quite small and decent priced. 20 bux. 9 inches tall so it can fit even some of the smaller tanks. supposed to be rated up to 100L tanks.

Anyways i know skimmer is probably not really needed in a nano, but nonetheless would a small skimmer like this benefit the tank? like would it be a good idea, to help reduce algae blooms and such at the beginning and things like that such as give more stability to the system?
or is it just a piece of junk not to be bothered with?

taekim78
06/13/2001, 09:27 PM
my friend got it in his nano (10 gallon). works well, takes out lots of smelly stuff. had to put it in a aquaclear filter cause there was no room for it in the tank cause of the hood we made. but it works like a champ

brianm
06/26/2001, 03:41 PM
How does that work, a skimmer inside a filter, i presume its an external canister filter you are talking about.

could you give a little detail on that set up
thanks

taekim78
06/26/2001, 09:24 PM
well the sanders skimmer is just a round tube with airstome on the bottom. it is small in eought to fit in side a aquaclear 150 power filter. so instead of putting the filter media in the aquaclear you put the skimmer. and it skimmes the water.

pmui
06/26/2001, 10:05 PM
Any place in the states that mail orders this skimmer? Would the Lee skimmer version be comperable to this model?

Thanks
Peter

taekim78
06/26/2001, 10:16 PM
hey peter, i bought mine many years ago from coral aquarium in queens and my friend bought his from new world aquarium in manhattan. i think some MO places sell it but dont know where. also i have heard man different stories from Lee's skimmer owners.. some say it piece of crap and other says it works... so i dont know...

tae

brianm
06/27/2001, 12:24 PM
Again im sounding stupid, but if the external power filter is a closed canister except for the input and output hoses,

how does the airstone pipe get in , does it feed through one of the filter hoses??

how do you empty the collection cup except by taking off the sealed filter top

am i missing something?? are your external filters not sealed
a picture would help if anyone has one

thanks

taekim78
06/27/2001, 12:26 PM
the aqua clear 150 is not a canister filet its a hang on back power filter. sorry fot the confusion

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/thestore/prods/AQUACLEAR150.html

thats the link fo rthe filter

Cajun
06/28/2001, 07:49 PM
I just got a Piccolo for my 10 gal reef...found it at the following......

www.aquariumcity.com/marine.html

CAJUN:D

pmui
06/29/2001, 02:19 PM
ok, I've look every where for this skimmer. The only place that is carrying it, is aquariumcity. I've noticed that Coralife makes on called a Super skimmer I, it's also a co-current. Any feedback on that model.
After taking a look at it it's just a plastice tube with a airstone. I took a look into my spare parts box and junked a visijet(junk) skimmer to salvage the part to make one. I took the body, the skimmate cup and stuck an airstone into it...waaalaaa a $35.00 junk skimmer reduced to a $20.00(est.) working skimmer :) I guess the $15.00 difference is the power head. :p I have still in the parts box.

Peter