PDA

View Full Version : ESV Bionc

gcrowptc
10/26/2003, 08:49 PM
I am not sure if I got a bad batch of this or not bought it already mixed at Water World in North Olmsted and when I add part 1 it just percipitates in the water looks like a snow storm in the tank, I wait about 20 min then add part 2 The tank seems to be ok, except the coraline algae growth is mostly green with some nice dark red showing up and I have plenty of rocks with purple and pink on them but they are not growing,I use only RO water the few small coral frags in this tank are doing good and lighting is 100w pc 50/50 on 12" deep tank, have excellent macro algae growth and all inverts a couple of fish including a black/white percula are doing awsome

chicod00
10/26/2003, 09:32 PM
Tell us how much your are dosing, your current calcium level and if you have a sump to add to total volume.

I wouldn't worry if your livestock is happy. Coroline algae color is largely dependent on Light Temperature (10K, Actinic, etc.) and current.

gcrowptc
10/26/2003, 09:43 PM
am dosing 5ml ea. per day for 20l tank, calcium @ about 425 no sump, 96w 10k and actinic pc prism skimmer w/diy overflow, magnum hot 250, 30+ lbs of rock, 20+ lbs of varied live sand, 8w uv sterilizer w/ 200gph flow and 2 105 gph powerheads

chicod00
10/27/2003, 02:19 PM
if your dosing into a high flow rate area, I don't know why your getting the precipitaiton.

I tried dosing my bionic into the display part of the tank instead of the sump today and it did not precipitate.

gcrowptc
10/27/2003, 04:15 PM
this is what I do not understand either,as it is always dosed in high flow areas

chicod00
10/27/2003, 04:22 PM
well, precipitation neutralizes the effectiveness of the additive, so i wonder if your Calcium reading is accurate, since adding additive that is precipitating should not effect calc levels.

Maybe if you try lowering the dose and testing your calcium concentrations to see if they change at all, you can decide if you even need to dose as much as you do now.

fade2black
10/27/2003, 07:44 PM
You might want to ask Randy Homes-Farley about this in the Reef Chemistry Forum. I seem to remember this question being asked a few years ago, but can't recall what the solution was.

Fade

fade2black
10/27/2003, 07:48 PM
What is your alkalinity and pH? If they are out of line that could be the cause of your snowstorm.

Fade

gcrowptc
10/27/2003, 08:02 PM
ph is 8.4 and use only ro water so nothing to drasticly alter the alkalinity which is with in range, have not added any new rock lately or sand the only recent addition has been some spaghetii Algae and a mythrax crab and some shrimps

chicod00
10/27/2003, 08:26 PM
Your going to want to get your hands on some Test kits.

Randy-Homes Farley is going to want to know your parameters.

gcrowptc
10/27/2003, 08:38 PM
chico you don't understand we have the kits and all water parameters are in normal ranges, after over 30 yrs in the aquarium hobby and doing our first salt tank in 1974 we do know a few things about water chemistry fade2black thanks for the info have posted with him

chicod00
10/27/2003, 09:27 PM
sorry if you felt insulted gcrow, i assumed since you didn't post your parameters that you didn't have the test kits.

fade2black
10/27/2003, 09:28 PM
I agree with chico, in order to give you an answer, we need to know the actual values. "In line" doesn't help. SOMETHING is out of whack to cause this precipitation and the only thing I can think of is a pH/alkalinity problem. When was your last water change? What salt are you using? What is your specific gravity? What is your calcium level? Go do these tests and report all of these water parameters, that way we can help you find out what the problem is. Otherwise we are just taking shots at what the issue is.

Fade