PDA

View Full Version : ReefCentral or Reefs.Org

Reefcrazy
06/12/2001, 02:44 PM
Reef Central of course :D

djheywood
06/12/2001, 02:47 PM
I get the impression the people here are much more experienced as a whole than reefs.org. There are just too many flames on that board. But I do still go there once in a while.

SteveP
06/12/2001, 02:48 PM
I like this board better. I visit .org once a day, and I check RC all day long.

Steve
8{I

Randy V
06/12/2001, 02:53 PM
You picked the only two boards I visit. They are both quality boards. But I'd have to give the edge to reefs.org on all points you list except #4 ease of use.

King Jason
06/12/2001, 02:54 PM
I would have to say that there are more posts here per day. I can refresh the screen and almost each time there is a new post. It's like being in a chat room. :)

olgakurt
06/12/2001, 03:01 PM
I like them both alot but would have to give the edge to reefs.org. I do not care for all the separated forums here.

npaden
06/12/2001, 03:09 PM
I think both boards are hit and miss. Sometimes you post a thread and it is a hit, and sometimes you post a thread and it is a miss! :)
I know there are many experienced reefers who visit reefs.org that choose not to participate in the everyday doldrums of newbie questions.
At reefcentral.com there used to be alot more experienced people who were willing to provide some input to the newbies, but as the volume picks up this is happening less and less as the same question is asked over and over again.
If you get into some technical threads on chemistry, etc. often the more experienced on both boards will choose to get involved.
I also visit reefland.com and it is a decent board, just nowhere near the volume of the 2 mentioned.
I would rate the 2 board about the same, but I frequent RC more as than reefs.org.
JMHO, Nathan

gas4544
06/12/2001, 03:09 PM
I don't have the time to keep up on two boards. Reefcentral is my home. I hung out over at reefs.org briefly when we were having response time problems here.
It gets too nasty over there. I cannot believe some of the stuff people were saying to each other. I do occasionally search some of their posts when I am looking for a specific answer, though.

cjdevito
06/12/2001, 03:10 PM
[Responding on both boards, so I can be disagreed with in Stereo.]

1. is more helpful?

Tie. Few threads go without responses on either board.

2. has the more intelligent/educated members?

Reefs.org by a significant margin. A lot of the more educated, worthwhile posters who used to post to reef central no longer seem to do so.

3. is more friendly?

Reef Central, provided one isn't a liberal democratic and goes into the Lounge.

4. easier to use?

Tie. Neither is harder to use then the other. Organizationally, the billion forums on reef central has gotten to be a bit much, but isn't a large issue.

5. do you prefer?

Reefs.org

Bishop
06/12/2001, 03:23 PM
1. is more helpful?

Reefs.org has far more history than the other ubb's on the web, it has been maintained with a true interest to the hobby with archives as well as a huge amount of information in it's library. Reefs.org as most people know, is also based around #reefs on the IRC network. Sanjay, Eric Borneman, and other people can be found there. Even Ron has been on irc before.

2. has the more intelligent/educated members?

dunno... near impossible to judge peoples intelligence on the web.

3. is more friendly?

reefcentral is more user friendly, but it kind of ebbs and flows as far as the members are concerned..

4. easier to use?

see above

5. do you prefer?

dunno.. I don't post on em that often to really have a preference..

Baalz
06/12/2001, 03:28 PM
I think Chucker and Microchip are the greatest!

Well.. they do work hard at keeping the board clean

Ok Ok, i have to add that Chucker is the most intelligent and wise reefer that I ever met and that Microchip learned all he knows from him..

thanks for the free frags chucker!!

Wolverine
06/12/2001, 03:30 PM
Like gas4544, I have limited time, and can really only consistently check one board. I have chosen this one since; it just feels more like home to me. I've been here so much more that I sort of feel like an outsider when I post over on Reefs. I know that's silly, since so many people are on both boards, but that's just the way it is.

When I have more time, I also check out reefs.org, but I just can't do it consistently.

Leonard,
You know, you really should have taken advantage of the polling feature for this question (does reefs.org have that feature?).

Dave

saltshop
06/12/2001, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by cjdevito

3. is more friendly?

Reef Central, provided one isn't a liberal democratic and goes into the Lounge.

LMAO! I guess for the most part it depends on what question you are asking. Reefs has some really good members such as Randy Holmes-Farley, CJ, et all. Reefs does have a great amount of information in its database of articles, talks, and archives so it definitely has the advantage there. Other than that I would say they are about equal in everything else, although one is much less likely to get their head torn off here at RC. :blown:

MiNdErAsR
06/12/2001, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Baalz
I think Chucker and Microchip are the greatest!

Well.. they do work hard at keeping the board clean

Ok Ok, i have to add that Chucker is the most intelligent and wise reefer that I ever met and that Microchip learned all he knows from him..

thanks for the free frags chucker!!

Oh please...you're making me nauseous. :eek1:

But seriously, that is like asking which is better Chevy or Ford? Both provide equally good (or equally lame) products, depending on your point of view. As far as I'm concerned, there are good people on both BB's.

Personally, I'm a Chebby man from way back. ;)

Grumpy Vet
06/12/2001, 05:07 PM
Now this is some exchange of info....Good for this board.

Actually I am relatively new to the boards of reefing and have been trying to find my niche.

I did a search and started checking about 8 boards. One of them was as dormant as the local college library at 10PM on a Saturday night......others just plain were not responsive.

Over a three week period I whittled my list down to 4 boards.

I checked them all daily ( I take a long time to wake up in the morning and work out of my home occasionally).

Reefs.org
ReefCentral
Aqualink
Saltwaterfish.com

Last night I got banned from Saltwaterfish.com b/c I commented on the rude post of a moderator. Someone asked for help and the mod quipped - no links allowed. That's it.

I probably got a little carried away - but over the 3 weeks I read that board - they were banning people left and right and the mods were rude as hell....I got fed up and took a shot -

Pompous *****3$.....I shan't go back there nor order from them even though they have the best prices I have seen.

So here I sit....I check 3 boards....Aqualink has been wonderful and I really enjoy the people.........Dot Org and Central have been very welcoming as well....

Jury is still out w/ me.

GV

JohnL
06/12/2001, 05:37 PM
If people have comments about this board, feel free to post them in this forum. If you have comments about Reefs then post them in the appropriate forum over there.