PDA

View Full Version : where to go?

rhwimmers
06/12/2001, 09:13 AM
Hello I thought there was a special thread theme for this type of thing! Anyway, my wife and i are going to go down south the 1st week of july and wanted to go snorkeling, maybe scuba diving..we have both been snorkling a couple times, and I went scuba diving in the bahamas once on vacation...we have no certifications or anything like that but was wondering what all of your ideaas would be to have a good time...We will be staying in southern georgia, just a couple hours away from the gulf so that swhat I was thinking...someone told me about dolphin island and that it was pretty neat...last year we went to a state park that you could snorkle at along a the edge of the rocks that would break the tide...it was okay, but obviously it wasnt a reef and not too many cool fish...When I dove they gave me a little lesson on how to do it etc...some basics and took us out in groups of people with a diving "coach" or whatever, that was the best damn time i ever had! i didnt know if I could do anything like this or not..
Im thinking just a one day trip or something but ....anyway...just looking for ideas!!
Thanks guys!
Ross:bum:

KorbinDallas
02/15/2003, 06:09 PM
I'm gonna 2nd that. Are there any reef sites to snorkle at off the coast of Georgia or somewhere in FL? I'm going to visit my Grannie soon on St. Simon's Island.:D

GreenGoblin
02/21/2003, 07:35 PM
im not positive but i dont think you can realy go snorkaling in georgia. all the dive site are like anywere fron 50-250 ft deep.
i think im not positive. if you realy want to go snorkaling you realy should come down here to FL to make it worth your wile.
i highly highly highly recomend looe key reef. probably one of the best site in the continental us. IMO

Prater
03/05/2003, 12:27 AM
I dove Panama City, Florida last year. You might look into that area. There is a national park that is available for diving. There are also manmade reefs and wrecks that have day trips to them.

GreenGoblin
03/05/2003, 06:18 PM
NO! i realy recomend u not go to panama. its the durtiest water iv ever seen all the reefs are mamade so all u see realy is concreat with a tiny bit of coral and alot of algea. the fish all are basicly snapper and maby ull see 1 grouper. might sound nice to ppl not from florida but i woldnt waste my time and especialy my money to go there.

Prater
03/05/2003, 09:18 PM
Green, Not the best diving I have been to, but beeing in Oklahoma I go anywhere possible.....I dove the jetties and had lots of wildlife around me, maybe just caught it on a good day.

GreenGoblin
03/05/2003, 09:51 PM
well i used to go to panama alot b/c my friend lives up there. all i can remember is 20 ft vis and eevery thing was brown its like thats the only color there lolonly ever saw 1 grouper and that was the highligt of the dive.and it is kind of scary to be down there with bad vis and havin a shark come out of no were even if its not harmful it sort of jumps you.

JonT
03/07/2003, 04:09 PM
My wife and I love W Palm Beach here in FL the most. The Keys have a lot more sites, but we both think the reefs in WPB are prettier. Currents can be strong, though, so you definately want to go with a Divemaster if you're not too experienced.