PDA

View Full Version : CRC - November 15th Meeting @ 12PM

minfinger
10/24/2003, 02:05 PM
The next meeting will be November 13th @ 12PM at the Applebee's in West Ashley. The reason it's earlier than normal is because they said it was better for them. I don't want to upset the nice place we have our meetings so, 12PM it is :D

Thanks to skipm (Skip) for giving us another fine idea for a topic, Filtration Discussion - Including Refugiums and Sumps. We're going to discuss everything from Wet/Drys, to Power Filters, Sumps, and everything in between. This should be a great thing because between my tanks in the house, I have 3 different systems.

Everyone remember to bring frags!! We had such a great success with it at the last meeting that I'm looking forward to this one and bring more frags. Skip thanks for the killer shrooms, they look great!! Thanks to everyone that brought frags to trade!

Here's a map link (http://applebees.know-where.com/applebees/cgi/site?08539)

oceanarus
10/24/2003, 03:44 PM
13th or 15th?

minfinger
10/24/2003, 04:58 PM
Ugh...15th...Stupid Typos LOL the web page is right :D

Aquarius Lady
10/27/2003, 08:49 PM
Will do my best to be there! I found it a timely topic as I am just setting up a Mini refugium inside my mini reef! LOL! (Right now I just have the "Mickey Mouse" version which is a modified old Livebearer breeding/rearing tank that sits on the side,) but I ordered one of the intank w/ it's own powerheadhead refugium from CPR..
We'll see what it's like...

minfinger
10/27/2003, 08:54 PM
Do you have a link, I'd like to see that...

Aquarius Lady
10/27/2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by minfinger
Do you have a link, I'd like to see that...

Here ya go, CPR makes two that look REALLY interesting! (and not to badly priced!) I ordered the INTANK, in time I may get that outside tank one too...... LOL!
> http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3621

Here is a link to both of them (I like that they come with a tiny PH inside, other than relying on using my main PH, pretty economical in the long run <IMHO> and I can use my own lighting off the tank. ;) (Below is both of CPR's Aqua-Fuge products)
> http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/sc_view.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3727
What I am using at the moment is an Intank Livebearer breeder/rearing tank, which is almost identical to the intank refugium, sans powerhead. You can get these intank breeders at ANY petshop or your local walmart, etc.

Aquarius Lady
10/27/2003, 09:31 PM
Here is almost exactly what I have now for a "makshift" refugium
> http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3832
However the dimensions in mine are: 2"W x 7"L x 6"D
I have it near where my intank PH is, right now I have in it my Calupera and red macro algae, in time I hope to put some frags in there ;)

minfinger
10/27/2003, 09:36 PM
I've seen that second link before, but no the other. That 1st one looks interesting, for $30, I'd order it.

But honestly...If you have it availabe to you, the parts and glue that is...You could build that second one. Heck, Justin, at Tideline, could probably build for you for less than $90, with the pump. Maybe...

If I need it, I'd build one...Good idea though...Little bitty pump and that overflow tube. Sounds neat.

Frags...I took 1 1/2" wide acrylic pieces and and bent them so they were like hangers. I hung them in my 55G and laid a 6" x 26" piece of acrylic across them. It works great to hold my frags.

skipm
10/27/2003, 09:38 PM
The intank refugium would be real easy to DIY, just take a catch cup made to hang on the tank and drill a hole just large enough for the discharge of a powerhead and add a few extra holes for circulation. The biggest thing I don't care for on the CPR version is that it uses a RIO powerhead which I do not care for due to thier less that reliable reputation. I have a hang on refugium here next to my shed that I started but decided to go with a seperate tank instead. The tank part is built and has been holding water for a couple of years now. It needs a brace or two and the plumbing added to it to be complete.
Depending on what you want a refugium for there are other ways of adding one. One example would be if you either wanted a place for pods to mutiply or macro to grow where herbivorous fish couldn't decimate it before it can grow you can simply make a "cage" out of eggcrate or coarse mesh. The caulerpa can grow inside of it and the pods can reproduce without predation but when the caulerpa starts getting to big it comes out of the mesh and is then food for the herbivores, the same thing for the pods. HTH, Skip

Aquarius Lady
10/27/2003, 09:44 PM
Thanks again for teh ideas, if I get to much caulerpa or red algae growing I'll just bring some to the meeting to pass around.
Don't have anything herbivorus yet, and I know the hermits won't be able to go through it THAT fast! LOL!
But yeah, thanks for the advice, in time if I want a larger hang on, I can either do the seperate tank, (maybe a micro 2-7 gal?) as a refugium.
Minfinger can you tell me more about your 7g nano?? What do you keep in it, and what alterations (if any) did you have to do to it? Using the light it came with or did you retrofit or??
Thanks again, your advice on various things have really gotten the ol' wheels to turn and gave me stuff to think about. Thanks!

minfinger
10/27/2003, 09:49 PM
This picture was from last may about 1 month or so after I set it up...Not much has changed except things are larger. I bought a non photsynthetic coral that's really big since this picture, and it looks great. Lighting it 2 9W bulbs on an old CoralLife Hood. I took out the 12" strip light and Notched out the plastic so the Corallife would fit. I wish I had way more light, but it costs $$$ ;)

Here's the link: (Large File)http://host36.ipowerweb.com/~myyamaha/CR/Images/7G/2003-05-03/DCP_1165.JPG

Aquarius Lady
10/27/2003, 10:29 PM
Really nice nano reef!!!!!! thanks for the photo :D

minfinger
10/28/2003, 11:57 AM
No problem, thanks.

ReefSC
10/29/2003, 02:02 PM
Gotta..................Make it.....................To..............Next..........
......Meeting...............

Work is cutting into my reef tank time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robwsup
10/29/2003, 07:20 PM
Skip,
It's that large Rio's 1700, 2100 etc, that are the bad ones. The small 600, 900's etc are ok. I have some that are 8 years old and have been used, stored, abused, used again, etc, and still run great. Some could use new impellers, but they still move water. But, given a choice, I think we would both agree that a maxi-jet is a better PH.

Mike,
I may try to make it to Charleston for your meeting. The wife is working that day, so it should be cool. In addition to bringing a couple dozen frags to trade, since I am an new home business, I would like to donate a coral to the club to frag. Let me know if this is cool.

Troy182
10/29/2003, 09:57 PM
robwsup - I hope you are bringing a frag of that orange montipora digita for Me :D

robwsup
10/29/2003, 11:59 PM
I'm not really fragging it. I lost one small frag. I will bring you a small, tiny piece, but only one. Since you asked first, you got it.

Rob

minfinger
10/30/2003, 07:07 AM
Rob,

That's cool...I'll bring my scissors and plyers...We can do it in the parking lot.

Glad you're going ot try and make it up.

robwsup
10/30/2003, 08:42 AM
I'm not sure what I'll bring as a donation colony. I have a nice yellow devil's hand I could spare. I'd like to bring an SPS, if you guys have at least VHO's for the most part. I don't want to be the guy that brought you the brown Acro!

Rob

minfinger
10/30/2003, 03:34 PM
Alot of the members have VHO and MH.