PDA

View Full Version : Next CORA Meeting: Proposed Agenda

NorthCoast
10/21/2003, 01:15 PM
Next meeting with the following proposed agenda:

1) Discussion and Ratification of the proposed CORA Constitution
2) Discussion and Ratification of the proposed CORA Bylaws
3) Establishment of the board with three Officers President, VP and Secretary / Treasurer
4) Formal Nominations of Officers
5) Election of Officers with a term of through December 2003 or through December 2004 (Strating with President, VP and Sec/Tres)
6) Establishment of regular meetings
7) Establishment of a three member Communication/Website Committee to be chaired by a non-board member. It should include one regular member (non-chair) and the Sec/Tres.
8) Discussion on Dues for Sponsor Membership (may be part of the ratification discussions)
9) New Business
10) Meeting closure (recap if applicable)

For the election of officers, each person must have a nomination and a second for a vote. I would urge canidates to create a bio to be published on the CORA website. Each bio will be read by the canidates at the meeting prior to voting. Any last minute canidates should be prepared to speak on their own behalf.

Please comment.

Thanks,
Mark

NorthCoast
10/21/2003, 01:17 PM
We can also use this thread to suggest time/place and anything else related to the meeting logistics. I think that there were a number of suggestions in another thread...

pyranha
10/21/2003, 01:53 PM
Most of the people at the previous meetings would benefit from an eastside location. In another thread I have seen concerns about switching sides each month.
Also, since we are meeting to discuss some formal business, it might benefit us to meet at a more formal location. Barley's was fantastic, but it was not easy to discuss things at a reasonable level.
Somewhere we could get a nice big table would probably be great. Unless, of course, someone wants to volunteer to have the "Charter Meeting Place of CORA" at their place :-)
Keep in mind, when advertising your home on the historic register, do not confuse it with "The Birthplce of CORA". Northcoast's home holds this honor.
:-)

NorthCoast
10/21/2003, 02:37 PM
I would be willing to host again. Got to check with the boss at home, but, a few hours won't hurt. Then there would be no confusion... ;)

Later,
Mark

pyranha
10/21/2003, 02:45 PM
Optimal time for me is the November 10-14, or November 17-19. I can make it anytime, but I am taking some classes up in that part of town on those days so I will be up there anyway.

Phishy
10/22/2003, 08:39 AM
I would like to come and take part in this meeting. I have a very hard time getting to the week day meetings. Would it be possible to make this one on a Saturday night? What are your thoughts?
Serdar

pyranha
10/22/2003, 08:52 AM
I can make weekend meetings as well.
If someone just lays out a date and time, we will be fine. I would expect this all to take less than a couple hours if we stick to business and leave the socializing until we are done. This is the not-so-fun(for some) part of getting an organization off the ground. If people know they need to block 2 hours on a given date, and it is important enough to them, I would expect it could be done.

NorthCoast
10/22/2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by NorthCoast
I would be willing to host again. Got to check with the boss at home, but, a few hours won't hurt. Then there would be no confusion... ;)

Later,
Mark

I checked with the boss. I will offer up my place for Tuesday November 11th or Wednesday November 12th. The start time would be 7:00PM promptly and the closing time would be 9:00 PM. Social time may follow.

I am in the NE part of Westerville for anyone that has not been here before. I will publish directions, etc. if we want to make it final...

Later,
Mark

TacoKing
10/22/2003, 12:28 PM
I don't see any problems with either of those dates.
-Rob

Norm R
10/22/2003, 03:46 PM
My wife's birthday is the 12th so the 11th would be MUCH better for me.

Thanks for the generous offer to host again Mark.

szwab
10/22/2003, 05:40 PM
Thanks Mark!!!

i agree this one should be in a more controlled enviorment. I'm actuall free all that week. (don't know how that happened)
should we put up a poll and go with the date with the most votes? It should be one that enables to vote for more than one day. I to feel it should be limited tho the agenda proposed. we can do frags and fun at the next one. this one should be all business.:) :) :)

cward
10/22/2003, 05:44 PM
How do I become a member???

szwab
10/22/2003, 05:50 PM
suprise suprise you are a member you were at the last meeting:D
pretty simple huh

cward
10/22/2003, 06:00 PM
Cool!! I buy the first round at the next meeting.
:beer:

cward
10/23/2003, 07:02 AM
I voted for the 12th, but I really could be there anyday.

NorthCoast
10/24/2003, 09:43 AM
It was suggested that we hold the CORA meeting at a "neutral" location, therefore, if we can find an alternate location for the meeting it may be best for everyone. I have given this much consideration and I WILL NOT BE HOSTING the meeting at my place. This may open the dates up to weekends and alternate weekdays in November.

-Mark

NorthCoast
10/24/2003, 12:27 PM
FWIW the poll results tallied:

2 people total for Tues. 11th

1 person total for Weds. 12th

9 people for both 11th and 12th

2 for alternate weekend.

Someone should post another if the dates may possibly change...

Thanks,
Mark

pyranha
10/24/2003, 12:48 PM
Finding a neutral and quiet location may prove to be somewhat challenging.
As indicated by the totals you have, there are not that many people interested anyway. This has been the case since the VERY BEGINNING of this forum(first thread actually...posted by JohnL).

I was looking back over some history and saw Geo state:

"Anybody willing to offer suggestions on how we can better organize monthly meetings (that others will actually attend)".

It looks like this is still the biggest challenge. If there is not something tangible to be gained, people just do not come out. Everyone makes plans for a frag swap. If someone were to have a meeting and offered "Free 6" acros for everyone that walks through the door", I would be willing to bet we had 100 or more, and people would bring dates(if they could get them.....Taco).
The last group we had was the biggest ever non-frag gathering we have had.

Quite possibly we have moved too quickly. What I posted in my initial thread was nothing more than the ramblings of a few guys drinking beer at Byerly's. Herb Kelleher started SouthWest Airlines(LUV) from a drawing on a cocktail napkin....so I thought what the heck :-)

Maybe a logical next step would be to set the night for the monthly beer meetings, encourage people to toss around the idea of a BBQ, holiday party, etc, etc, and see where things progress. Maybe we can all just lighten up a bit as well.

Hello.....Hello....is this thing on??? :-)

topher374
10/25/2003, 05:41 PM
I'd be willing to meet any of the dates mentioned (and did vote in the poll). I could check into using a room at Westerville North HS for a quiet, neutral meeting place. I know that they do allow the public to use the school, with enough notice and usually a small rental fee. Another option would be to use one of the meeting rooms in the Westerville Public Library.

What do you guys think?

Note: limiting agent = no beer at either place

Chris

tye_c
10/26/2003, 08:13 AM
I vote for an alternate weekend. I have an hour drive and that would suck on a weeknight.

prime8man
10/26/2003, 09:39 AM
Maybe we should contact one of our local vendors, like phishy see if we had a meeting at his place or near his place then toured his livestock, phishy im sure would get a lot of sales and people would come out of the woodwork simply because you cant buy 25 snails for 12.50 anywhere else in town, or redblood shimp for under 20.00 bucks. It would be a good way to make phishy some money plus have a great turnout. Maybe we could contact on of the local vendors like byerlys or another good LFS and maybe getting 20+ reefers together that LFS could give us a special for getting together there? I dont mean to put anyone on the spot (aka phishy). Just a great idea for people to get great livestock at great prices and to help out a fellow reef turned LFS, I havent seen his basement set up yet and would love to and i would buy from him if i went, and im sure at his prices ive seen on his site most of us would.... Once we get the meetings off the ground we should be able to offer stuff up more often.. If i had anything good to frag (other than Xenia and clove polps) i would and bring them to this meeting not for profit but to get the ball started, we'll always have a good turnout if theres a few frags to be had.

pyranha
10/26/2003, 10:19 AM
All I can say is.....

*SIGH*

Underwaterrealms
10/26/2003, 01:36 PM
I know that we are not going to be able to make a time where everyone can make the meeting all the time. I for one would like to see things continue. It seems to me that tuesday will work best. I would like to be at these functions but not at the cost of stalling things. I am sure that most major functions or events will happen on weekends and I can make those and I am quite happy with that.

I vote for the 11th

Chuck

Mantis
10/27/2003, 08:19 AM
It doesn't matter to me which night we have the meeting on. If we find a small quiet restaurant we shouldn't have any problem with noise, especially on a week night. We could take the place over. Example: a Chipotle that serves beer (Polaris).

I just thought of another, the Donatos on Maxton and 3C has a small party room that is always empty. I don't think they charge for it either.

Brad

Christopher Marks
10/27/2003, 04:03 PM
I'm open to any day. Hopefully this will work out.

prime8man
10/27/2003, 04:48 PM
im good for anyday also, i just need some time to prepare i really want to make it to this meeting.

zeppelin
10/29/2003, 05:49 AM
I'm going to try to start making more meetings. Had allot of stuff going on with the car in the summer. Its now parked for the winter, so more time for the "other" hobby.:D My Firebird/Camaro club went through the same growing pains in the last couple years. We are three years old now, and just voted on officers last year for the first time. Prior to that it was the founder and some friends that were the officers. "Build it and they will come" is my opinion. I think getting the meetings organized is a big step. We alternate N, S, E, and W each month, but if most members here are on the East side, locations East may be the way to start. Sounds like there is a good group of core people here. I personally can't thank GEO enough for all the help and direction he gave me getting started. I think this will be a slow process for us as this hobby has a smaller niche than my other. As more people realize the advancements in the hobby I think we will grow, especially with the population growth happening in this area. Thanks for all that has been done so far to get this group started.

Larry