PDA

View Full Version : Modification to AG Bow front tank canopy.

Carlos
06/09/2001, 10:15 PM
Well,

For the people that have the bow front tank, you have centainly seen the glass shield that protect the lights from the water. Well, being such as small piece of glass, I doubt it has been threated properly to let light thru.

That small shield probably reduces the light intensity by at least 25%. Considering that very little light goes into the tank, and that the source of light is small also, one should take advatage of every single lumen one can get. So, I went ahead and carefully removed the glass shield from the canopy and what a difference it makes. To my human eye, I could see an increase in brighness. I am sure the corals will also love the increase in light and also, this might help dissipate the heat.

Has anyone done this? Any results?

nitritetest
06/10/2001, 02:21 PM
I have the bowfront, but I have held off on getting lights for it for a few weeks now...

I want to make sure I have enough light in the tank. Are you getting any salt spray on the lights without the glass cover?

Carlos
06/10/2001, 02:41 PM
Just a little. Not enough to cause any problems as long as you clean it up somewhat frequently.

Carlos

Jade
06/10/2001, 08:56 PM
Good Tip Carlos!! Just got my 7g this afternoon. As soon as I read this post, I took the glass out. Makes quite a difference, even with the NO light. Now I need to order a CSL 32w kit and put that in. Thanks for the tip.
Chris:D :D

Q-ball
06/10/2001, 09:27 PM
I've got no glass between my lights & the water, I prefer it this way really cuz glass always messes the light up imo. I just built the light box, put the lights in & they sit about 2.5" above the water surface. Works for me...

Q!!!

nitritetest
06/12/2001, 08:13 PM
I haven't tried it, but it looks like there's space in the original canopy, in the front right under the door, for a 13 watt pc bulb. You might have to cut away some of the plastic hanging down around the door opening, but I bet you could stick a 13 watt bulb in there.

Playfair
06/13/2001, 11:58 AM
Hey Los- I did think about removing the glass, but was really concerned about evaporation. Over the weekend I currently loose about 16oz, can't afford much more than that or I will have a reef in the Dead Sea!

What is your rate? How bout you, Q?

Q-ball
06/13/2001, 02:21 PM
Hiyas...I was evaporating about 23oz's per day (no misprint) with the fan running 24x7, but since I put the fan on the timer with the lights (no need for it at night it turned out) I cut it down to about 8-10oz's/day. It's not bad. I do wonder if it wouldn't be less with a piece of plexi under the lights and if it'd be worth it. I may try that & find out in the next few weeks.

Q!!!

Carlos
06/24/2001, 11:35 PM
I also have a fan pointing right at the power filter and my evaporation is around 32 oz each day.

I get more evap but I like the fact that the corals are getting all the light they can. I have not tested the light but I am sure the glass was blocking 25% or more of the light.

Carlos

ChrisIsBored
06/28/2001, 01:20 PM
Hey Carlos just curious, how did you go about getting the glass off?

I'm still waiting for my lighting to come in through UPS so I have a few days before I need to pry that sucker off.

Carlos
06/28/2001, 06:17 PM
A blade and lots of patience.

Jade
06/28/2001, 07:59 PM
Like Carlos said, use a razor blade. The glass sits in the canopy from the top. So, if you flip the canopy over, slide the blade inbetween the glass and the plastic, and TAKE YOUR TIME!!! . It will come out with no problems. HTH
Chris

mr9iron
06/30/2001, 03:49 PM
I removed the glass from my 7 gal also and I can say that I have to agree with Carlos, it really makes a difference. My corals have opened up even more and look great. I also keep a fan on a timer which starts 30 min after the light comes on and off 30 minutes after the light goes out. I get very little salt spray also. As for the evaporation I loose between 2/12-3 cups a day so I made a diy topoff unit out of a small pitcher and a 10gtt iv tubing set. It drips about once every 10-12 seconds and lasts for about 3 days. HTH

Chris, use a razor blade to slice through the kalk, just go slow.

New nano pics coming soon.:D