PDA

View Full Version : Free 3D modeling service for aquarium stuff!

MarkS
10/19/2003, 03:01 PM
I have lots of time on my hands and enjoy creating 3D models of aquarium stuff. If anyone needs or wants a 3D model of an aquarium device for a large system, send me a PM. I know that most people do not have access to the programs or have the knowledge of how to do this, so I am glad to offer my assistance.

If you need a large skimmer or kalk reactor or such, I can probably do it. Sometimes it's best to actually see what the device will look like rather than try to visualize it in your mind before building. I am assuming that we'll end up seeing lots of DIY devices due to the high cost of such items in the scales needed for systems listed in this forum. I also know that not everyone has access to a digital camera, so this may be the only way you can post a pic of the item.

If interested, send me a PM with what you want, including dimensions, plumbing specs, what it is to be made out of, etc. I will only do this for systems in this forum. For instance, I'll do skimmers, calcium reactors and kalc reactors with a minimum OD of 6" only, etc.

Each item will take me some time because I will probably have to model specific parts as I go. I am building quite a large library of parts, but it will always be growing and I may not have all that I need.

The main downside to my modeler is that it cannot do complex cut-outs (CSG objects). This means that some PVC fittings may not be complete on the inside since I cannot cut holes in the sides of tubes and such. Also, threads are too difficult to model (anyone know of a freeware program for this purpose??) so bolts, unions and PVC threaded fittings will not have them. These are really not problems as the idea is to get a general idea of the item and not a 100% accurate model. If you have seen any of the models that I have posted in the DIY forum, you know they still look very accurate and descriptive.

I can model your aquarium or sump if you give me exact outside dimensions of each panel along with the width. However, due to time constraints, I will only model the tank and not the complete system. I can supply you with a DXF file of the tank, PVC fittings and bulkheads if you have access to a 3D modeler or CAD program and you can assemble the scene yourself.

I will supply the rendered scene in a size compatable with ReefCentral's attachment feature. This limits the size of the file to 800x800 pixels and 51K, however, the actual file size may be smaller in either dimension as needed. If you plan on hosting the pic in your own site and linking, I can do very large sizes, but be reasonable. No one wants wait for a full size 24" diameter x 10' tall skimmer to download... The renderings will be supplied as JPEG files. I can also supply you with the DXF file(s) of the objects and scene. All JPEG files will be rendered with a 72 DPI resolution.

Let me know if you are interested. I do not expect any form of payment, but a frag would be nice if you really want...;) (I'll leave that up to you, I don't expect this). This is really just to give me something to do. :)

Mark

Ken Sellick
10/19/2003, 03:26 PM
Hi Mark I build photo realistic 3D models for work and was thinking about modeling the reef system i am planning.

DerekW
10/20/2003, 12:38 PM
I can draw virtually useless 1D stick figures if that is help to anyone. :thumbsup:

LOL, just kiddin', great offer guys.

kanankeban
10/23/2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Ken Sellick
Hi Mark I build photo realistic 3D models for work and was thinking about modeling the reef system i am planning.

What do you use?
I use AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, VIZ with Brazil, and other stuff....use to be instructor of Lightscape...

Ken Sellick
11/05/2003, 05:57 PM
I use DataCad, Lightscape, and Paintshop Pro. I have used Archicad in the past.