PDA

View Full Version : Ballast questions

Tagamet
10/19/2003, 11:08 AM
As many of you already know, I'm setting up my 120 as an SPS tank. I'll have two 400W 10K Ushios over it, and possibly a couple VHO's as well. While I'm waiting for my bulbs to arrive, I hung an OOOOOold 400W MH over half of the 120 and the tank looks really dim. Now, I know it's an old bulb, but I'm wondering if part of the difference is in the type of ballast I'm using on that one. It's the ancient "can" ballast, as opposed to an electronic one. I'm not sure if the M59 ballast is something different than a "can" ballast or if that's what this one is. Can someone clarify this for me?
*Whatever* ballast I end up using, it needs to drive 400W 10K mogul base Ushios.TIA,
Tagamet

Tagamet
10/19/2003, 11:32 AM
The Ushio site has a PDF file that suggest an M135 ballast for the 400W 10K's.

http://www.ushio.com/files/Aqualite%200802.pdf

Tagamet

Sanjay
10/20/2003, 07:04 PM
I have been using 7 USHIOs with the M59 ballasts for several years without any problem.

I also tested the light output with the M59 and M135 and they are almost identical.

sanjay.

Tagamet
10/20/2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Sanjay
I have been using 7 USHIOs with the M59 ballasts for several years without any problem.
I also tested the light output with the M59 and M135 and they are almost identical.
sanjay.

Thanks, Sanjay,
Is the M59 the really old balasts with the little canister (I think it's a capacitor?)?
I have two of those and the Ushio bulbs should be arriving tomorrow or Wednesday. (I'm in "stoked" mode).
Thanks,
Tagamet

Sanjay
10/21/2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Tagamet
Thanks, Sanjay,
Is the M59 the really old balasts with the little canister (I think it's a capacitor?)?
I have two of those and the Ushio bulbs should be arriving tomorrow or Wednesday. (I'm in "stoked" mode).
Thanks,
Tagamet

THe M59 ballasts have not changed for a long time. Just make sure that the one you have is a CWA circuit.

Yes, that cannister is a capacitor. They all have it.

sanjay.

Tagamet
10/21/2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Sanjay
THe M59 ballasts have not changed for a long time. Just make sure that the one you have is a CWA circuit.
sanjay.

Ok, (HUGE SIGH) what's a CWA? (lol)
Tagamet