PDA

View Full Version : Next Meeting Topic...Ideas?

minfinger
10/19/2003, 09:47 AM
All,

So what's on for the next meeting? Any ideas?

I was looking back through a list that Skip sent me, here are some ideas:

Acrylic Fabrication: Not really building anything but just how to cut, bend, prepare to glue, glueing techniques, etc. Also any tips or tricks to make for nicer DIY projects. It would also be helpful probably to kinda list the bare essentials regarding tools needed.

Different Types of filtration and pros and cons of each.

Procedures for fragging various corals i.e. softies, polyps, sps, lps, encrusting, etc

Invertibrate Discussion: Different types of snails, shrimp, worms,, etc.
and why they are good for the tank and what are some of the things that they
control (ex. peppermint shrimp for aiptasia control)

Refugiums and Sumps

We can combine any of these and I think they'd make for a great discussion. Any votes?

Troy182
10/19/2003, 10:48 AM
I'd like to talk about different equipment. It's benifits and applications in reef tanks (IE calcium reactor, kalk reactor, nielson reactors, denitrators ect)

minfinger
10/19/2003, 12:51 PM
Yeah we kind of hit on that a little yesterday...To bad Dave wasn't at the last meeting to ask about the reactor LOL

minfinger
10/20/2003, 08:35 AM
Anyone wanting to meet at Applebee's again? 1PM or 2PM???

How about meeting at someones house...Any volunteers?

Troy182
10/20/2003, 01:45 PM
if anyone wants to drive to Beaufort My house is available

minfinger
10/20/2003, 07:44 PM
Thank you Troy, we'll keep it in mind.

Anyone have any input on the topic???

minfinger
10/21/2003, 09:18 PM
Lets vote...
Filtration Discussion - Including Refugiums and Sumps

or

Fragging techniques and Acrylic Fabrication

skipm
10/22/2003, 10:02 AM
Either one is fine with me (you know I am not hard to please :) ). If you decide to use Troys house as the venue though I would like to suggest the acrylic fab. thing since it is so much closer to bring the tools.
We did decide on the 15th right?
Skip

minfinger
10/22/2003, 05:49 PM
Yes the 15th...

I'm open to Troys house as a possibilty, as long as his tank is cool ;)

minfinger
10/23/2003, 08:18 PM
Filtration Discussion - Including Refugiums and Sumps

That's the topic...I think for the rest of the year, lets do the meeting here in Charleston. I've gotten some people interested in the Tideline Aquatics Forum and I want to give the new people a chance to meet everyone.

Troy, I don't want to impose on you just before XMas, my wife would kill me too ;) So lets think about Janurary sometime. Skip & Troy, I'll get with you about flyers and such, maybe you can post them around at the store(s)?

This filtration thing outta be great...I currently run 3 different systems in my house now. Wet/Dry, Power Filter, and a Refugium/Sump....This outta spark a lot of interest

Thanks for the ideas Skip...I'll have the email out this weekend and I'll get flyers up at Tideline tomorrow. I think we'll do Applebee's again. I'm not sure about the time...Maybe 1:30, still gives us time to run over to Tideline :D I can't remember if they said earlier or later was better...Hmm

Mike

Aquarius Lady
10/27/2003, 04:42 PM
Minfinger,
Thanks, I am one of those who have come over from the Tideline Forums, since I am disabled it's hard for me to drive more than the "local area", but I can do the charleston tricountry area (I live in Ladson/Summervile) I have JUST set up a refugium, so this is something I am very interested in! :)
(Geeze this hobby is Waaaaaaay to addicting! I just set up a minireef and now I am already almost ready to set up SW/Reef tank #2 <G> LOL!!!) ;)
do people bring frags every meeting to trade? Anyone ever sell? being a newbie, I don't have any yet to grow! (That is changing soon!)
Thanks for having this great club!

Troy182
10/27/2003, 07:15 PM
NO people do not bring things to every meeting but we had great success this last meeting and it is a trend I hope continues. Don't worry if you don't have anything to trade. some people sell at reasonable prices. let us know what type of corals you are interested in and someone is gonna have something.

minfinger
10/27/2003, 08:53 PM
Jackie,

Welcome...I saw your posts over on Tideline...Sounds like you've got a nice lil reef going. I myself have a 7G bowfront and I love the tank. I stuffed a 3.5" Maroon Clown in there. Thank god he's doing good. I hope to move him over to my propagation system when I get it up and running.

Troy is right...Don't always expect frags to be there for trade. I just happened that we had a really good time trading at the last meeting and it wasn't like we were all fighting over stuff and things went really smooth. In fact, I fully expect for some of those frags to make it back at some point for trading. And yes this is a trend I hope continues for a very long time. I'm bring a few frags to the next meeting as well.

I think for now we will continue to do it in the parking lot. It was like our own little swap meet LOL

Aquarius Lady
10/27/2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by minfinger
we had a really good time trading at the last meeting and it wasn't like we were all fighting over stuff and things went really smooth. In fact, I fully expect for some of those frags to make it back at some point for trading. And yes this is a trend I hope continues for a very long time. I'm bring a few frags to the next meeting as well.
I think for now we will continue to do it in the parking lot. It was like our own little swap meet LOL

Isn't that the fun of it? That it is done in good humor and friendship, besides what fun is it if you don't get some of it back over time! LOL! I have done stuff like this for years at various dog shows and such (people who knew each other would always be bringing stuff to give away to friends, trade or sell) it was just somthing fun you did, because your friends were friends you knew for years (good or bad! Not everyone agreed on all subjects but we still liked everyone) That's one of the main reasons I wanted to join a Fish club, for teh friendship and to learn from others experiences good or bad and share mine.
Looks like you all have put together a REALLY nice club here, my ownly regrets is I didn't find it sooner! (my husband of 20 years is NOT as fanatical as I am about fishkeeping and reefing, but he sure ENJOYS the finished product! He's always telling me how much he likes the tanks, and he is really starting to get into this mini reef!):spin1:

minfinger
10/27/2003, 10:13 PM
Yes, you're right...That is the fun...The freindships and the experiences, the trading is a bonus :D

Oh yeah, my wife loves the tanks, but not all the time I spend with them ;)