PDA

View Full Version : New tank

drace
10/19/2003, 07:42 AM
I just want to thank everyone that helped me find my new thank. I am the newly infected that Bullet had posted the WTB for. I purchased a 72 gal bowfront already established. I didn't like how dirty the sand looked and with the recently purchased Southdown sand that I have I decided to use most of that and a little of the old to seed it. The problem I have is that the tank looks very cloudy and I have the fish that were in the tank in an 18 gal rubermaid tub. I plan on building a sump, he sold me a biowheel filter, junk. What can I do to get the cloudyness out of the water quicker so that I can put the fish in the tank, I am worried about the shrimp picking on my flame angel.

flyj3
10/19/2003, 08:03 AM
What is wrong with the biowheel filter?
I used one on a 120 gallon tank until nitrates started to show and then removed the wheel and used it until recently as a sump.
Good luck with the southdown milkshake and also with the bucket of fish that are going to go through an ammonia spike.
In other words, You did it wrong.
John

drace
10/19/2003, 08:14 AM
I am saying that the one that came with the tank is junk, it is old, loud, and took a long time to even get it to work right. I figured out that I did something wrong, I would like to have advice on how to fix it as quickly as possible.

flyj3
10/19/2003, 08:32 AM
The best way I can tell you to get rid of the milkshake is to get a diatom filter, Hopefully one of the guys in the club has one that is close to you and will let you use it. If not maybe they have one at AE that you can use, They are costly to buy and you would probably not ever need it again.
When you put water in a tank of new southdown it is best to cover the sand with a plastic bag and add the water slow. This will not always work but it is a good practice 90% of the time. The milkshake will clear on its own in a couple of weeks. Throw a piece of raw shrimp in the tank to start the cycle now.
Next the bucket of fish.
Since you decided to start with new sand it is going to take some time, 4 weeks plus, I recommend you find someone local who can house your fish until you are ready for them, I don't know what kind of fish you have so I can't make any recommendation as to any that will be strong enough to be put in your new tank. I wish you luck with your new tank and I am usually here to try and help.
John

HOC
10/19/2003, 05:34 PM
Just get one of those $50 magnum hang on filters. It will clear up in a day or so. If you have some established water, sand(substrate), and LR in the tank you'll be all right adding the fish IMO. I've done it before. If everyhting were new though you would go through a cycle and should find temp housing for your livestock.

HOC
10/19/2003, 05:42 PM
Did the tank come with any LR? If not you'll need it before you add the fish. If you took a complete setup with LR and just moved it, you don't have anything to worry about.

Another thing...Dirty looking sand is usually good in a reef tank as it has lots f life in it. Your SD will look the same in a few months. If it was crushed coral though you did good by removing it. Send me a PM, I'll ansr any ?? you have.....Chris

dknape
10/20/2003, 12:52 AM
If it is of any use to you, I have a Fluval 204 that I do not use. Not sure if it will help with your milk-shake.

Let me know if you are interested.

drace
10/22/2003, 08:57 AM
Tank is now up and clean with everything in it, I would post pics but how do you do it??

flyj3
10/22/2003, 09:03 AM
So how did you do it?

drace
10/24/2003, 10:50 PM
Just let it run its coarse with a HOT magnum