PDA

View Full Version : Canister Filter

skeets
10/18/2003, 04:50 PM
Hey guys, does anyone have a canister filter I could borrow asap for like 2 or 3 days?
I just noticed I have some flatworms, and want to get rid of these guys before they spread to much. Musta got them off one of my recent frag orders =/
Im gonna need to run like 2 or 3 lbs of carbon in the filter, because I am gonna use the flatworm exit to nail em. I syphoned out the majority of them i could see today, which was only about 20... but id rather kill em when there is less than 100 in the tank than when there is 1000's.
Thanks

janetglon
10/20/2003, 03:22 PM
I have a canister filter that I'm not using. I just bought this whole 55 gallon system and I'm learning everything before I try and set it up. Here's what I have...300 GPH Renaissance Prime Canister Filter. You're more than welcome to use it if you'd like. Post a reply if you're interested and I'll send you an e-mail of how to get it. Janet ....virgin reefer.

muzzelfuzz
10/20/2003, 06:00 PM
Welcome to Reef Central and to the arizona FRAG, glad to see new ppl posting hope you enjoy your stay

skeets
10/20/2003, 10:04 PM
That should be fine. You can put any media into these things right? I dont know anything bout canister filters, never used one... I know that it is important for the carbon because supposedly the carbon really needs to have water pushed through it with pressure vs just throwing it in the sump with baffles...
I wont need it quite yet, Ill send you a PM in a day or two.
Thanks a lot!

janetglon
10/20/2003, 10:08 PM
Your questions about putting any media into the filter are definitely for more advanced reefers than I. I don't plan on ever using the canister filter. I'm going to get a protein skimmer, so in my opinion, you can use it for whatever because I don't care if anything happens to it. Definitely see if you can get some responses from others though about what exactly you're going to use it for to make sure it will work for you. No problem what so ever on using it though. Just let me know when you need it.

dgin
10/20/2003, 11:21 PM
If the cannister doesn't have any bags inside of it, you could use a mesh bag or pantyhose to put the carbon in.

conundrum
10/20/2003, 11:41 PM
I think you will find that there is very little difference between water flowing over a carbon bag and putting carbon in a canister filter chamber to have water flow over it. It's not like you are pushing it thru the carbon grains either way. Water flowing over the carbon will allow it to absorb all it will be able to.

I am sure MX_TANG could do a full page on this topic, and make it extremely technological sounding(complement). I am just pointing out you probably need not hassle with rounding up a canister filter for this task.

Welcome janetglon, if we can help with your setup, let us know. Starter sand to possibly saving you some money, we are here to help. The local DMS members are a great group of reefers.

skeets
10/20/2003, 11:52 PM
Alright...
The manufacturer(salifert) says that problems get caused when there isnt a proper filter with carbon used etc. I dont know a whole lot on this subject so was gonna follow their directions.
Not to disagree with you conundrum... But does anyone else have any facts on me needing a filter or not?
Itd be nice to not need to worry about it, but I want to be as safe as possible.
Thanks

AZDesertRat
10/21/2003, 02:29 PM
Skeets,
I've got a Fluval 203 and a TetraTec 300 PF hang on I'm not using. I've also got a System 1 diatom filter if you need to do any polishing of your water. You are welcome to borrow any of them.
A.J.

conundrum
10/21/2003, 11:33 PM
This is an example of one article on the subject of how best to use carbon, all I have seen agree.

The most effective use of carbon in the aquarium is to have it in a mesh bag in a place where it receives a constant slow flow of water. Blasting the carbon with the stream from a high powered pump can wash the contaminants right out of the carbon. Just hanging the bag in the tank results in low adsorption and inefficient use of the carbon.

Could sailfert be talking about filtration in general and using carbon also.

Your origional post was to search for a urgently needed canister filter for your carbon. I was attempting to point out carbon does not require a canister filter.

The topic of mechanical filtration is different, some people favor it, some don't. A search will bring up many posts and reasons either way, you should decide if you want mechanical filtration or not.

dmorel
10/21/2003, 11:57 PM
When I was running the 90 carbon went in a piece of cut up pantyhose in the sump, always did its job the way it should.
BTW, I have nothing but good things to say about seachem matrixCarbon. Super stuff!
-dm

skeets
10/21/2003, 11:58 PM
Thanks everyone and conundrum.
I do have baffles in my sump so I can throw carbon in there and it will get around 1000gph flow. It wont be shoved into it like a canister filter, but yet it wont just be sitting in the tank somewhere. I think it should work now that you mentioned it.
I aprpeciate the help guys, if I decide I need it ill PM you,
Thanks alot for the kindness allowing me to borrow your equipment, janetglon and AZDesertRat!