PDA

View Full Version : Sump setup

pmcustom
10/16/2003, 02:06 PM
I'm switching from freshwater and could use all the help I can get! I want to set up a sump. First of all, I need my tank drilled. Byerle's in Columbus will drill for $30/hole. Is there a better place to get it done? Will a 10gal sump be big enough? Where's a good place to get live sand and live rock? thanks!

NorthCoast
10/16/2003, 03:00 PM
First,
[welcome]

Second,
What size tank? You may be better off with a new tank drilled from the factory that included the built-in overflow...

Third,
The smallest the sump needs to be is "large enough to house" the equipement intended to be kept. I could give more details if you'll give specifics on the planned setup and hardware you intend on keeping... 10 gallons may be fine, however, it may not fit a large skimmer, etc...

I personally use a 42 gallon sump, but, have everything plumbed to it. :)

Later,
NC

Sloth
10/16/2003, 03:58 PM
There is a guy in New Albany that will do it. I forget his name, but his number is 614-933-8779 (I got it off his unfinished(?) website www.reefsystems.com.) I think he'll charge $20 per hole. He has liverock and livesand too. Www.phishybusiness.com is local and sometimes he gets in some VERY nice liverock.

I drilled another tank by myself. I bought a $55 diamond bit and used my dad's drill press. If you have a drill press, you might consider getting your own bit.

A 10 gallon might be a bit small (depending on what size your main tank is, and how big the space is where you're trying to fit it.) I made one out of a 15 gallon. By the time you separate out different sections, the area for my refugium was about 5 gallons in volume. Somethhing to think about. Let me know if you need any help. I did all this myself not too long ago.

cj7jeep81
10/16/2003, 05:24 PM
His tanks a 55 gallon.

pmcustom
10/17/2003, 12:55 PM
Yes, I have a 55gal. I'm thinking of going with the EuroReef ES5-3 so I can upgrade later if I want. It has a 9x9 footprint, and the tank is only 20x10. Do you think there will be enough room for everything else?

AcroSteve
10/18/2003, 05:47 AM
I would recomend a larger sump. Go as big as will fit under your stand. External skimmer could help a little, but maybe not.

Can you fit a 20 long in there?

prime8man
10/18/2003, 10:34 AM
i just got a 20 long drilled at byerlys, they did it while i shopped and it only cost 25 bucks.... i guess thats a bit expensive but i couldnt do it....

pmcustom
10/19/2003, 07:56 PM
I am building the stand plenty big, so I will probably just get a bigger sump. How does this design look? All the plumbing will be covered, and there is plenty of room for anything.

Sloth
10/19/2003, 11:50 PM
Are you gonna build the sump into the stand? Is the back of the stand going to be open? Remember that its gonna be really hard to get a decent sized tank through that door and then turn it.

pmcustom
10/20/2003, 12:01 AM
if there was a division, yes, but there will be no center brace to interfere. just approx 32"x45"x? open space. the back may or may not be open, but if it is closed it would be easily removable. i'm just using a small tank as a sump.

pmcustom
10/20/2003, 12:02 AM
oops, i'm sorry, i messed up. if i use the design i posted, the back will definately be closed (to hide the plumbing) but easily removable. i am thinking about just using the bottom for now because the tank is going to be up against a wall.

pmcustom
10/20/2003, 02:02 PM
heres the latest design. i extended the stand back 3" behind the tank so i can run the plumbing straight down through the stand top. also, the storage area underneath will have an unobstructed (i.e. no center brace), approx. opening of 25.5" x 42.25", to allow (i think) about any sump/skimmer combo i could want. the inner frame will be 2 x 4 construction and the outer sheath will be 1/4 plywood (except the top will prob be 1/2"). does this look good? any other suggestions before i start building? thanks!!

pmcustom
11/01/2003, 02:43 AM
finished! only cost $125 total and a weekend to build!

Sloth
11/01/2003, 02:16 PM
Nice!