PDA

View Full Version : Hippo with acne

ByTor
06/07/2001, 04:46 PM
I have this hippo tang for well over a year. Well today i noticed it had what looks to be pimples all over it's body. The spots in the black striping appear to be whitish, and the spots in the blue just look to be raised pimples... I have never seen anyhting like this in all my years keeping fish. Water params all in check. No new intruductions in well over a month and those were only a few soft corals.. Other fish in the system are as follows..1 Bangaii,1 Marine betta.. None of the other fish show signs of this... Diet is prime reef formula 1&2, freeze dried krill,and frozen mixed seafoods... selcon added to the foods 3 times a week... I was trying to get a picture but I've had no luck... will keep at it... anyone with any ideas what this could be???? and a possible treatment if needed? So far the only steps I have taken is testing,increased feedings with zoe and selcon,small water change and new GAC.... Thanks

Clyde
06/07/2001, 06:01 PM
ByTor

could you please more more info ?

size of tank, SG, temps, and test results

how much live rock you have ?

feeding the Tang Nori ?

its possible Ich

FMarini
06/07/2001, 06:13 PM
Hi:
it also sounds like the begining of ich to me... is there away of catching and isolating this fish in a quarentine tank?
Can you attribute any new something in the past week or so which has(ve) stresed out your fish?
thanks
frank

ByTor
06/07/2001, 06:44 PM
the tank is a 55gal 2+ year old soft coral reef.. salinity is 1.025 amm 0 Nitrite 0 No3 5ppm ph 8.2 temp 81 to 83F.. total of probably 85lbs of assorted rock types with a plenum bottom... 3 types of macros are in the main tank.. this hippo occasionally nibbles at the macros..Clyde as for feeding nori or seaweeds this fish just doesn't eat them they are always on offer but doesn't touch them...but does get formula 2 everyday..Frank as for any changes, none have been made.. not a single thing has been touched...this system purrrrrrsss, as for catching the fish out it can be done, but... would have to do a teardown... if need be will do!!! both of you say ich I've delt with ich years ago but it was always on the surface of the the fish this actual pimples that look to be under the skin??? Here is the best picture i can get...notice the discolored blemishes.. also there are no spots on the fins http://ByTorsreef.homestead.com/files/Rim00541.jpg

Clyde
06/07/2001, 07:31 PM
one SMALL possiblitiy - the tank is becoming more SMALL for him, thus stressing it a bit ?

ByTor
06/07/2001, 07:39 PM
yeah!! Clyde I agree!!! I'm about a month away from setting up the 240gal..one good sign is it's still eating like a monster!! so fingers crossed..

Terry B
06/07/2001, 10:54 PM
The picture is not clear enough to help me. Any small details about what you see and the fish's behavior may help. Are the pimples irregular in shape or size? Any other symptoms?
Since you seem to be familar with what ich looks like, I want to look for other possibilities.
Terry B

ByTor
06/10/2001, 09:30 AM
Terry, the pimples look all to be same shape and size...some groups of 3to4 pimples here and there..I've been feeding the fish pretty heavey since,and so far so good!!:D as of this morning there are only a few visable but swollen no where near what they were...as for behavior, there was really no change that i could see.... I tried to get a better picture but ...this guy is just to camera shy and to..many hiding places. I will continue to monitor the fish to see if anything else will so up..."Lets hope not" Thanks for the help!