PDA

View Full Version : Snorkeling Oahu

Larry Grenier
06/07/2001, 03:13 PM
I can hardly believe it but I'm on Oahu! I'd appreciate your suggestions on where to snorkel (novice/beginner). We plan on Hanauma Bay and Kahe Point Beach Park. Good choices? Any better choices?

billsreef
06/07/2001, 11:48 PM
Haven't been to Oahau but I can tell you it usually worth checking in some of the local dive shops. They are usually very good about telling you where the good places are and what to expect. Have fun and be sure and tell us some good stories :D

Laura D
06/08/2001, 10:15 PM
I spent my honeymoon in Oahu last year!! It was awesome!

Definitely go to the Waikiki aquarium. It is REALLY cool. I snorkeled Hanauma, which was nice but there was a lot of people. We rented a dumpy little car and one day drove around the island with our masks and flippers and hopped in wherever looked good. It was really fun.

_Laura

Larry Grenier
06/09/2001, 01:28 PM
We went to the Wakiki aquarium. I believe that they actually propagate and sell to other aquariums/zoos. Ther were the first to breed Natilus!

Wee went snorkeling at Hanama Bay. Swam with the tangs mostly. Achilles, striped, black... Some as big as 12"! Parrotfish almost 1&1/2" and I literally ran into a giant sea turtle! Awsome! I stopped and looked closely and could see some blenny's pop-out and take a peak.

We're off to the Atlantis submarine tour of a reef... yippee :D

Pinecone_Jeff
06/09/2001, 02:35 PM
I've snorkeled in Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island and Hanauma Bay once when I was in high school. If you're into corals, find a nice shallow area where you can hold onto some rocks (when the swells are nice 'n small!) and look closely. The Porites lobata are beautiful when seen up close as are the Pocilipora meandrina. These two corals can be seen in as little as 4 or 5 feet of water! So if you're lucky, you can find them pretty close to shore. Notice all the little crabs and fish that hide in Pocilipora meandrina. Here's a site that has great pictures and information about Hawaiian fish and inverts and conservation. Hawai'i Coral Reef Network (http://www.coralreefnetwork.com/)

Have fun snorkeling!

Oh, and for anyone who's been to the Big Island, I'd love to hear about your snorkeling experiences!

Laura D
06/09/2001, 04:02 PM
The most impressive thing that I remember from Oahu was the two huge morays I saw.

Oh, and the massive schools (50+) of convict tangs.

_Laura