PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area stores?

Anemone of the State
04/28/2000, 03:42 PM
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I am new and the search utility isn't fantastic. Can anyone recommend a good Bay Area store? I've been to Reef Science www.reefscience.com (http://www.reefscience.com) and a few local pet shops. Reef Science seemed pretty good but I was tricked into buying the most light-loving clam (T. crocea) by someone who didn't know what they were talking about. I have moderate lighting that I upgraded (I am now at 8 W/gal compact fluorescents) and the clam is ok, but I expected more from a place that is supposedly the retail distributor for IPSF.

Frisco
04/28/2000, 04:04 PM
You're the guy in SC right? Other people seem to always knock me for disparaging the local stores, but I have yet to see one that meets my standard of quality. I guess it's a matter of perception... I've looked on most sides of the bay, between Marin, San Jose, Hayward, and Oakland, and I truly say that they are all digusting for one reason or another. The store you checked is historically known for being the "best" so I wouldn't get your hopes of an alternative too high.

Anemone of the State
04/28/2000, 04:14 PM
I can run but I can't hide.

Frisco
04/28/2000, 04:18 PM
How many chem researchers can there be on these boards?

BTW - Go Bears! And I like the name!

RobertK
04/28/2000, 04:39 PM
I was sold a coral that needed more light than I have by the owner of that store right after I told him what my setup was like. I guess it just goes back to researching all your livestock purchases through unbiased sources before you buy. Having said that, I haven't seen any stores better than that one around here, although I haven't been to every LFS in the BA (I live in the south bay). On a good day, Aquarium Concepts in Hayward or T and T in San Jose has a decent selection, and I've gotten some nice specimens from both of them, however on an average day they are both pretty dismal IMO. The other stores I've visited in the BA aren't even worth mentioning.

Anemone of the State
05/01/2000, 12:06 PM
Yeah, physically I think reefscience is the nicest place I have set foot into. I was a bit annoyed with the advice, but then again my clam is still alive and well (and was even before I upgraded the light, so maybe I am being too critical.

I guess one of the problems is that if you set your business up in a town where the median house price is $850K, it is going to be hard to find people to work there for $6/hr.

[This message has been edited by anemone of the state (edited 05-01-2000).]

Yam
05/01/2000, 01:15 PM
Oakland: Lucky Goldfish
Hayward: Aquarium Concepts
SF: Nippon Goldfish, 6th Ave. Aquarium, and one in Chinatown. Forgot the name.
Burlingame: Aqua123
San Jose: T & T Marine
Mountain View: Seascapes
San Carlos: Forgot the name but it is small but has quality stuff.

I agree, most of these places have problems one way or the other. I prefer Aquarium Concepts because they are a little larger than Reef Science, and have a larger selection of Corals. I did get my Crocea from Reef Science, and it is stunning.

Danny

------------------
http://www.ereefers.homepage.com

Redhawk
07/16/2000, 12:31 AM
does anybody know the web address of aquarium concepts, I been there once but now I cant find it thanks. :)

Ninong
07/16/2000, 01:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Redhawk:
does anybody know the web address of aquarium concepts, I been there once but now I cant find it thanks. :)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here ya go: www.reefthings.com (http://www.reefthings.com)

N I N :) N G

------------------
Irrational Exuberance!