PDA

View Full Version : cures for ich

ATB USA
10/11/2003, 07:13 PM
victor90 wrote on 10/11/2003 11:59 PM:
Hi Steven I would like to ask you another question. I have a custom sealife 36 watt Uv sterlizer on a 90 gallon reef tank. Is it recommended that i run it 24 hours a day forever or should I do it weekly or something. Have you had any experience with uv. I tried it once and it didn't seem to make a difference just like the garlic stuff. Sorry can I get your opinion on Formalin dips. I know a lot of major aquariums like Monterey bay, Waikki aquarium according to an article in aquarium fish last month recommends dips rather copper. It say they let the fish settle down. Then dips every 3 days four times and then observe for one month. Lastly how should I know how long to leave the fish if I want to do freshwater dips. Sorry for all the questions but I'm a newbie so would like to get the best advice I can from an expert.
Thanks Vic

Steven Pro
10/12/2003, 05:58 AM
Regarding UV's, I would not recommend one be used at all on a reef tank unless you have made a mistake and caused an outbreak in the tank. At that point, yes, run it 24/7, but I don't think it is nearly as effective as removing the fish to a separate quarantine tank and treating with a proven cure.

As for Formalin dips, I don't use them very often. I usually use freshwater dips. Some prefer to give a formalin and saltwater bath when first recieveing fish. I use the FW dip, more out of habit than any actual comparison in effectiveness. Both FW dip and formalin baths have their respective pluses and minuses. This is covered more in depth in part One and Two of my Cryptocaryon articles.

The duration of a FW dip varies by species. At least 5 minutes to be effective, up to 15 minutes.