PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm Cure???

Pygmey
10/10/2003, 07:51 AM
I was talking to a fellow reefer last night and he said that he has about 6 tanks. All of them had flatworms but one. The only difference was he had a damsel in there. So he moved it to one of the other tanks and after a month the flatworms were gone..

Coincidence or is he on to something here??

JSM
10/10/2003, 08:29 AM
It's common knowledge that the yellowtail blue damsel eats flatworms, but I don't know of others. Several people I know have gotten rid of flatworms using these damsels.

Janna

Pygmey
10/10/2003, 08:58 AM
Ok then.. I just had never heard that.. I must be in the dark :)

Thanks for the info Janna... I just know alot of people that have flatworms and I wonder if it is just the aggressive nature is what is keeping them from buying the damsel..

Thanks

Eric

JSM
10/10/2003, 10:49 AM
Yellowtail Blues's are one of the least aggressive, but that doesn't mean there isn't a rogue out there now and then. I have one in one of my tanks and he never bothers anyone and I have a friend who has one in a maintenence account and he bites her arm everytime she out her hand in so go figure...

Janna

Laura D
10/10/2003, 02:17 PM
Sometimes it seemes to be an individual thing with which fish will eat FWs. I know of someone who had a green chromis that would pick them off the rock and eat them!

Atticus
10/14/2003, 04:57 PM
The LFS here used 6 lined wrasses to contain their flat worm outbreak. I saw it personally and it was very bad at one point, but the fish had it cleaned up in about a week.