PDA

View Full Version : CMAS would like to formally invite...

mkirda
10/08/2003, 09:54 AM
everyone at WRS to attend our next meeting, October 18th.

Sanjay Joshi and Ferdinand Cruz will be coming into town.

Sanjay's talk will be:

Metal halide Lighting: Recent Results on Lamps and Reflectors

Sanjay Joshi is currently professor of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering at Penn State University. He has been a reef addict since 1992, and currently keeps 3 reefs at home 55G, 60G and a 180G SPS dominated reef. In addition he co-manages the 500G aquarium at Penn State. He has published several articles in magazines such as Marine Fish and Reef Annual, and Aquarium Frontiers, Aquarium Fish Monthly, and been an invited speaker at several marine aquarium society meetings.

Ferdinand's talk will be on:
"Legitimizing ornamental fish collection in the Philippines:
Aiming towards a Community-based approach"

For those of you who do not know, Ferdinand Cruz is a field trainer in the Philippines. Formerly with the Marine Aquarium Council, he has been working with local governments on formally opening up marine ornamental fish collection areas and conducting net trainings. Ferdinand is on the front lines in the reform movement in the Philippines and has firsthand knowledge of the industry and the cyanide trade.

We hope you can join us!
See www.cmas.net for directions and details.

grafxguy
10/08/2003, 10:12 AM
We have many members interested in coming down. Looking at the site I cannont find directions or a start time. Can you provide that?

eric

mkirda
10/08/2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by grafxguy
We have many members interested in coming down. Looking at the site I cannont find directions or a start time. Can you provide that?

eric

Oh, my... I didn't realize Tom had taken down the directions...

http://www.stdl.org/ is the library's web site. We meet in the Rasmussen room on the second floor.

We are still knocking about the start time. The room is reserved from 12:30pm, so no earlier than that. The likely start time will be 12:45pm or 1pm.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Niven
10/08/2003, 10:41 AM
Will there be any cost to the seminar? Donations?

mkirda
10/08/2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Niven
Will there be any cost to the seminar? Donations?

Heh. The CMAS BOD is still debating things, but I don't think so. This is not the final word though. This is a normal meeting, not a seminar, I'm thinking they will not be charging.

Donations will gladly be accepted however. :D

A great way to 'donate' is to become a CMAS member.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

hwynboy
10/08/2003, 12:26 PM
do you have an idea of how many vendors will be there? any guest speakers or such? It will be a 5 and a half hour ride in for some of us =)...just need some convincing for the other half. maybe a shopping center close by? =p

mkirda
10/08/2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by hwynboy
do you have an idea of how many vendors will be there? any guest speakers or such? It will be a 5 and a half hour ride in for some of us =)...just need some convincing for the other half. maybe a shopping center close by? =p

The meeting is a normal meeting, not a seminar. There may be some people who bring frags to sell/trade, but no official vendors.

Guest speakers are/were as outlined: Sanjay and Ferdinand.

I can bring a couple to table coral frags if it would entice you further...;)

There is a very large mall nearby. The wife/significant other would have no problems finding stuff to spend money on. :)

http://www.gowoodfieldmall.com/

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Niven
10/09/2003, 02:18 PM
There's an IKEA near by too, I think....

mkirda
10/09/2003, 02:27 PM

You are correct. Very close by, just to the north, in fact...

Regards.
Mike Kirda

jbash
10/15/2003, 04:15 PM
Just to update. Sanjay's presentation will start promptly at 1pm, Ferdinand's at 3. Each presentation is supposed to be 1.5 hours so there will be time for questions.

The room opens at 12:30 if anyone wants to come early to chat, trade frags, etc.

A $5 donation is requested of folks who are not a member of an aquarium club. So bring your current membership card and save $5! (I can verify CMAS members but not other clubs, hence the need for your card).

Hope to see some of you Saturday. Sanjay's lighting info is alway interesting (I bought a new reflector after hearing him in Michigan and my corals have better color:-) and this is a rare (unique?) opportunity to hear Ferdinand Cruz (unless you travel to the Phillipines).

jim b

hwynboy
10/15/2003, 04:27 PM

What's an IKEA?

grafxguy
10/15/2003, 04:32 PM
A very cool store. www.ikea.com

If you what "Trading Places" they use allot of stuff from that store.

I am an IKEA junkie. Cool and inexpensive.

eric

mkirda
10/15/2003, 09:46 PM
If anyone has a count of how many will be heading down, could they e-mail or PM me?

Thanks!
Mike Kirda