PDA

View Full Version : PH of Q tank only 7.83?

Nanook
06/04/2001, 02:22 PM
Hi, I have a quarantine tank, 20g. I have a Penguin mini-biowheel filter, heater, and small powerhead. I checked my settings today and the SG is a tad high at 1.027, easy to fix that. But, my PH is only 7.83 by ph probe and 7.8 by Lamotte test.

I have 3 small blue reef chromis coming this Wednesday. Should I do anything to increase the ph? Also, should I run the Q tank at the same temp (80) as my main tank? Any other advice for the quarantine of the 3 chromis? Feed daily? Thanks for your advice,

Nanook

billsreef
06/04/2001, 10:34 PM
A little buffer should help boost the pH. Keeping the temp close to that of the tank they are going into is a good idea. These guys are active, so daily feeding is also a good idea. The Q tank is the time and place to get them acclimated to the foods you will be offering.

Enjoy your blue chromis, they're my favorite :D

Nanook
06/05/2001, 02:43 AM
Thanks Bill for the advice. I am adjusting the ph with Kent Pro Buffer, hopefully I will get it a little closer between now and a month from now, is it ok to buffer the water with the chromis in there? I plan on buying 4 more Blue Reef Chromis after these are quarantined.

Nanook

Agu
06/05/2001, 09:13 AM
Nanook,

A couple of suggestions regarding chromis. Get them all at once, they tend to squabble and a group diffuses aggression. Also, when researching mine, I was told chromis introduced at different times won't accept each other. Second, unless they're guaranteed hand caught (and I wouldn't trust the guarantee anyway) you will probably have some losses. Schools of chromis hide in a coral head and quite often they're caught with cyanid. I've also heard that because they're cheap fish they're crowded in the shipping containers to save weight. From my research I've heard 30% mortality is not unusual with chromis :(

If you do a search on chromis you'll find a few informative threads.

A twenty gal tank should be able to handle more chromis as they're usually small specimens that are sold. Be sure they have plenty of hiding places. If you do get larger fish the Q tank doesn't have to be an aquarium, a large rubbermaid container will work as a temporary Q tank.

fwiw,
Agu