PDA

View Full Version : Don't You Wish You Had a....

Timbo
06/03/2001, 10:12 PM
K, we all know that most reef aquarium equipment is expensive. We also know that most of it is too big or not designed for smaller reef tanks like nanos. What i'm asking you guys is what would you like to see come on to the market especially for nano tanks? I'm reffering to lighting, top off devices, circulation, sumps, overflows, whatever.

So come on guys, respond with some ideas and we can discuss what we want most for our little tanks.

Tim

Pinecone_Jeff
06/04/2001, 09:04 AM
Hey Timbo,
I'd like to see an overflow that doesn't take up half my tank! :)
Since I suck at doing DIY projects, especially anything that has to do with plastics, I usually buy components for my tank. So I'd like to have a sump/refugium next to or under my 10 gal nano on my desk at work, but a typical overflow is just too big for my tank.

oohnoo
06/04/2001, 05:47 PM
What I would like to do next after I get my RO that I just ordered is to setup a top-off device like the Nurce. I'm pretty handy so I think I could make one once I get the kinks out. Cannot afford No Disasters at work, be the last of the tank if that happened. Got 4 other people to start tanks at work also, 3 FO and 1 nanoreef. Also they just can't make those pumps small enough in my mind.
Pinecone_Jeff
I modified a Eheim surface extractor for my 15gal. minireef, works just great. I used to have a skimmer box that I made myself but that didn't work to good cause I have a refugium in the back of my tank which sits higher than my main tank so all evaporation is in the main tank. The Eheim has a floating piece that just floats with the evaporation. But anyhow if you want I could sell you that one or make you one to your specs. Works great if you have your sump below the tank. Look at my pics here> http://www.fototime.com/inv/D79759469B91787

Pseudo Boy
06/04/2001, 06:36 PM
Timbo,

Believe it or not, I would love a mini kalkreator for mine. After dosing mine with ESV everyday and then after the top-off water and pruning the caulpera out of my tank, I am looking to simplify the chores I have to do everyday...

There was a company that made a dry Co2 system with a mini kalkreator but I forgot who made it. That would change alot of the things I do. I love the refuge that oohnoo made. But it is too big for a 7 gallon bow tank. Not only that but with the custom hood that is on it I can't fit it, That and the Prizm skimmer that's in the way.... on and on I go.

Some the logistics of a mini reef combined with the enthusiasm we have sometimes just doesn't work together. I spent over $800-$900 bucks just to get it to where it is now. And I don't see the end in site yet. If you think about it my 90 gallon custom with lights and ect. cost me only $1100 to build. I did a lot of the work myself and found things below cost at auctions " 5 dollars " :D, is the nano really that good an idea ??

HELL YES !!!:smokin: Because it's hard as hell to do and keeps ya satisfied. Any shmo can buy a reef the size of a bed BUT can they spend $1000 making a nano reef the size of a monkey's behind:cool:

Don't tell the missus what it cost ok :rolleyes:

Pseudo

Timbo
06/04/2001, 08:18 PM
Pseudo,

Not sure whether or not you're referring to a calcium reactor or a kalkwasser reactor. I think kalkwasser reactors are much better suited to nano tanks than calcium reactors. The calcium/alkalinity demand in a nano is small enough that there really isn't much of a need for a calcium reactor set up. As far as a kalkwasser reactor goes...

What do you think about a product that would sit about 18" tall, be composed of two columns with the base measuring about 6"x12". The first column would be a FW resevoir and the second column would be a mini kalkwasser reactor with a magnetic stirrir built into the base. Both of these columns would be made from acrylic and have a flange seal on the top. The only necessary piece of hardware would then be a dosing pump. Total, the device would hold roughly one gallon and so would be good for a week or so. Of course, the reactor could also be designed without the freshwater resevoir sitting next to it so that you could just use a remote resevoir if you already have one.

Would such an item interest you or any other nano reefers? Also, if it did interest you, what price range would you like to see the product?

Let me know guys, such a product might very quickly become a reality, in particular to of us that spend our time in this forum ;)

Pseudo Boy
06/04/2001, 09:26 PM
Your right Timbo, I didn't state that correctly. I did mean a mini calcium reactor. I used to see them sold at Pet Warehouse, but they don't sell them anymore.

Snooze you lose I guess. I don't want to be refilling anything that much. With a 1 gallon reservior, that would last only for one week or maybe even half a week. Then with all the sediment, even with a stirrer at the bottom, you would still be cleaning to much too make it sound investment.

No, what I really want is to make all the preperations to the tank in advance (equipment, livestock), to make a nano reef more appealing to myself and others. Nothing hurts the hobby more than an unsuccesful tank.

Pseudo:cool:

Timbo
06/04/2001, 09:45 PM
Pseudo, how are you taking care of top off currently? I'm curious what you are using on a nano that allows you to go longer than a week in between refills...

Tim

Pseudo Boy
06/05/2001, 12:15 AM
I have a 5 gallon Great Bear water jug that I got from work and an IV line from my girlfriend's job. I got it adjusted so that it will constantly drip into the tank. It usually shuts off when the water reaches the IV line. But I still check it everyday. I lose alot of water because I don't have fans inside the hood yet, so the heat from the CSL lights evaporates the water quickly.

I am going to eventually get a Lifereef float switch when it is in the budget. Till then I just have to keep an eye on it, but it works.

Pseudo

Timbo
06/05/2001, 12:25 AM
Pseudo,

So you have room for a remote resevoir to pump water from using the float switch?

Tim

Pseudo Boy
06/05/2001, 12:33 AM
Right now the jug is sitting on top of my empty 54 gallon corner bowfront ( that I swore I needed ). It's any ugly situation where it is at, but for now I have nowhere else to put it until I move.

Pseudo

roenee
06/07/2001, 11:00 PM
if you ask me.. fans evaporate more water then without them.
1k spent on a nano tank, boy it'll send me to the poor-house

mr9iron
06/07/2001, 11:10 PM
Sounds like a good topic. I would love to have some type of refugium for my nano that wouldnt cost me an arm and a leg. As far as the maintenance, i really dont mind doing it and i find it relaxing.