PDA

View Full Version : MH or T5, need some quick help.

nine9d
10/06/2003, 09:14 AM
A friend of mine was helping me with picking out a lighting setup and had found someone on the site selling 2x65W Compact Fluorescent and 2x175W MH 10,000k (USHIO) with ballasts and hood. The MH bulbs would have to be replaced but the PC is 6 months old. He said for $330 shipped. Do you think this is a good deal with still having to replace the bulbs (I still want USHIO bulbs)?

Now my friend is pushing the T5's on me. He said in the long run these would be the better buy and bulb and they can take care of all my needs.

I will want to have clams, sps, soft corals, etc... (mainly everything, LOL). After my tank is stable for 6 months to a year and I start adding things I don't want to feel as if I have made the wrong lighting decision. I am getting a 75g tank just so everyone knows. Thanks again to all.

Ross

andro
10/06/2003, 09:32 AM
I like my 2x250 watt MH myself. 75 gallon also. I used to have PC but didn't like the look.

-Ian

vmiller
10/06/2003, 11:30 AM
Ross,

There's a few lengthy threads on T5 in the General Reef Keeping Discussion forum. Hopefully they can help you with your decision. I've read about T5 but have no experience with them.

I keep mostly sps and use 400W halides and I'm happy with them.

If you decide on halides, make sure you take the heat output into consideration unless you have a chiller or basement sump.

Vin

Tomzpc
10/06/2003, 11:34 AM
Ross,

I don't think that you can go wrong either way although the MH/PC combo might give your tank a better look, although not as good as a MH/VHO combo. Keep in mind that with the MH's you'll most likely have to invest in a chiller. You also need to consider the height of your canopy (if you already have one) so that the MH's aren't too close to the water.

Tom

nine9d
10/06/2003, 01:03 PM
I have read a ton of threads about the T5's and they seem to be kick arse. I agree that either way I will just have to make one decision and stick with it. I just feel that if I go with the MH/PC I will want to change out the PC and it will be a waste of money. He did however offer me the MH setup for $175 (prob. $200 shipped). But I still have to replace the bulbs from $75 to $100 per bulb. The cost is not the issue, it is just a matter of how it looks I guess. Sheesh, I am going to tell my friend thanks for the help but enough is enough. I have to decide on my own now.

ADS
10/16/2003, 01:50 PM
T5's are new and not proven alternative to MH for certain corals and clams-there are definate success stories with them so far.
They are pricey since they are new-
175W systems can be found as give-aways these days because of the reduced PAR and limited choice of bulb types(AB 10K and ALS 12K). Most are upgrading to 250W.
Newer bulbs are available such as coralvue which are cheap and excellent quality for MH. (no bulb AB, Ushio, radium should cost more than $80 and that includes HQI and 400W)
Heat is not an issue unless you go to 400W-then chiller is a must.
Adam

foxstop
10/16/2003, 04:50 PM
The lighting issue has been one I've been wrestling with too.
I think I may go with 2 of the mini hqi pendants and supplement with a couple of actinic T5's. Seems like the best of both worlds at the moment for my 120.

Moonpod here on RC has had a good experience with the T5's and Masterswimmer here at HVRK (click here for thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=250040) ) is going with T5's as well.

I like the fact that some of the T5 products I have looked at are being produced by reputable manufacturers who are accessible here on RC (like Sunlight Supply)

Either way it boils down to a personal choice. I wish I could set up two tanks with the classic MH/VHO combination and one with T5's. Put the same livestock in each tank and let it fly :)

Best of luck on your choice!

Brian