PDA

View Full Version : that fish place location?

Obi-dad
10/05/2003, 10:18 PM
I have relatives in Troy and the surrounding area, so I make occaisional trips to PA. Where is the 'That Fish Place' store I see you guys talking about? Any other LFSs in the area?

bmkindig
10/05/2003, 10:35 PM
hi obi-dad
it's in lancaster and in my opinion the have the best prices anywhere i get a 200 gallon pail of salt there for like $40 and the lfs around my house sell for $75-$80 and the calcium and other supplies are cheaper to, so for me it's worth the price of gas to drive 1.5 hours each way some of there fish are cheap but they don't always have a good selection. they are starting to do live shipping to. it's a cool palce to check out. there website address is www.thatfishplace.com request a calalog to get on there mailing list i got some good deals last month they had a "tent event" sale i got a $45 item for $15 and if your good with fixing thing the had some nice used tanks that leaked
later
brad

Obi-dad
10/06/2003, 07:26 AM
Thanks. Do they carry many corals?

Fizz71
10/06/2003, 08:42 AM
Their corals are a crap shoot. They have a great coral room, but I've seen alot of dying corals. I think it's because of the volume they do..the dying ones don't get bought, so they are left behind and seem to be in abundance.

Since I no longer live in NJ (where my old lfs is) I will start buying my corals from TFP once my tank's nitrates are under control. The other thing you have to watch about tfp is not all the employees are reefers, so you may wind up with a person bagging for you that doesn't know reefs..but generally they'll admit it and get you somebody that does. Look for the guys in the black shirts. :) When I asked if any of their 20+ mandarins took to prepared food yet, the guy's answer was.."they rarely do, you'll need live food"....Thank you for not bullsh*tting me! Sold!

My only other "complaint" with tfp is that they don't have some of the items that are considered "some of the best" in here..like AquaPro skimmers, sailfert tests, sea swirls, etc.

Having said that...I'm there every two weeks and all the fish in my tank are TFP bought...so obviously I can look past their shortcomings. :)

I love the store..and take the kids (if you have them) because their touch tank is nice, and there's plenty to see there.

My drive is between 45 minutes to an hour each way..and it's always worth it. I'll be there this Friday for more crickets ($20 for a 1000..there a deal!) and some IO salt.

--Fizz

beerman0831
10/06/2003, 08:50 AM
Whwen I was there 2 weeks ago I seen a huge 700 gallon tank sitting up front behind the regesters and there was a sign on it that said that was going to be a display tank in the wall there.Cool looking tank.Can`t wait till they get it up and running.I agree that they don`t have alot of things that are considered the best but they have a good selection of lots of things.As for their corals I think they are expensive.I do much better here and on ebay.JMO.

bmkindig
10/07/2003, 06:41 PM
if you guys our looking for a wide selection for corals theck out something fishy in northampton right outside of bethlehem
i live like 5 min for there and they have a garage full of tanks mostly corals. email me at bmkindig@aol.com if you want a link to there website
later
brad

millisec
10/07/2003, 08:15 PM
TFP rocks... $36 for 200g instant ocean that like someone else said goes for as much as $80 locally so they can justify trying to get $25 for a 50g bag of instant ocean. I've saved as much as 50% on all sorts of stuff vs LFS's.

Maybe I missed them last time out. Nothing but fish at just OK prices.

It's a 100 miles for me but worth the trip if I know what I want in hard goods. Easy to get to... can't miss it right off highway 30 on Centreville.

Fizz71
10/08/2003, 11:36 AM
millisec...If you didn't see any corals, you missed a room of tanks! :) All the corals and inverts (and Mandarins) are in a separate room inside the fishroom, right by the entrance.

--Fizz

zooqi
10/08/2003, 11:40 AM
That room is behind the counter and it looks like is just for employees. I think they should have a bigger sign on the door or make the doors all glass. I left the room and asked somebody outside where do they have corals and walked with me back and showed me the room. :)