PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a DIY meeting.

H@rry
10/03/2003, 02:39 PM
If we would want to have a DIY meeting I could demonstrate/guide you through the making of a skimmer. The tools required are table saw, drill, hole saw, and dremel tool. (Hey, I've got those things). Anybody who wanted a skimmer could make their own at the meeting. See my thread for the components.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=244430

kng
10/03/2003, 04:24 PM
Now we're talking....our club is really coming along. We're planning frag swaps, frag workshops, and now DIY classes! Sounds good to me.

Icepic
10/06/2003, 02:17 PM
harry , if you ever want to come down south to do a class , i voulenter my tools and small work shop

tools to offer for a class would be

table ,radial arm , band , scroll , jig , recipracating , circular saws

gench grinder , two table tops bet sander , and sanding wheels

6 1/8 jointer/planner and 12 1/2 inch planner

drill press , hand drills , cordless drills

Last but not least , and strip heater for bending that acyrlic :)

and other tools that i cant think of at the moment ..

Mariner
10/07/2003, 08:57 AM
Harry,
I'd be very interested in watching/learning how to do this. I don't know that I need a skimmer like the one in your thread though. Do you think it could be modified to be an HOB skimmer?
Mariner

yoda
10/07/2003, 10:25 AM
If we have a DIY meeting, I'll bring my skimmer. I've made a couple of PVC skimmers that work well. Mariner might be more interested in making one of them, for a sumpless system.

I am interested in seeing Harry's design. I like the way his skimmer neck cones in like that. I need that for mine.

Jason

H@rry
10/07/2003, 03:19 PM
Mariner - This one won't work for a HOB because there is not a tight fit between the body and the collection cup and it leaks a little bit. I've tried to figure out a way to secure it but with no success. The biggest reason I wanted to find a twist lock or friction device is to avoid having to weight the cup on but I have gotten used to it now. The other day in Wally World in the automotive section I saw a car ash tray that was made of some kind of plastic. The lid was held on by a friction collar and I thought that might be just the thing. You could cut everything off except the collar part and glue one part on the body and the other part on the cup and it MIGHT NOT LEAK.

kng
10/07/2003, 06:23 PM
How about a general "DIY Skimmer Workshop"? Anyone who's done it (read "Harry and Jason") discuss their designs. I know I would definately gain from something like this as I plan to do a DIY Skimmer on my system.

speakeraddict
10/13/2003, 01:21 PM
I can show everyone how to wire ballasts and build canopies and stands in my shop in south Huntsville.

I am also planning on making a large batch of aragocrete soon and everyone could get in on the messy fun with that too.

speakeraddict

ChrisB
10/20/2003, 06:31 PM
speakeraddict- I would definitely be interested in the aragocrete
workshop! wiring ballasts too! I live just outside Decatur, and plan on joining the NARC.

Chris B.

speakeraddict
10/21/2003, 08:51 AM
I haven't joined yet.

Who do I email to join?

I would be glad to open my workshop up to visitors and even the whole group for this stuff.

Just get some southdown or oyster shells and a bag of portland cement and we can have a blast.

The wiring of ballasts will be demoed on Fulham ballasts if you have another brand, bring it.

I have to miss the meeting on the 8th. I was really looking forward to it.

Steven

yoda
10/21/2003, 10:56 AM
Speakeraddict --- send KNG (Kyle) a PM giving him your contact information and you will be signed up. Mariner has made cards for the group also, so he will need your name as well.

yoda
10/21/2003, 10:57 AM
Speakeraddict---what kind of workshop do you have?

speakeraddict
10/21/2003, 12:14 PM
I have a 1.5 car garage.

Tools: Table saw with 36" rip, Radial arm saw, drill press, jointer, router table, two routers, power mitre box, dust collector, sanders, commercial grade circular saw, drills, etc.

No planer or bandsaw...yet!

Do you need some help with something?

Steven

speakeraddict
10/21/2003, 12:17 PM
I almost forgot!

Air compressor and commercial grade finish nailer.

Steven

yoda
10/21/2003, 07:18 PM
I don't need anything right now, but perhaps later on. I was just curious, it sounded like you had a commercial shop. It does sound like you have alot of nice equipment.

Thanks man,
Jason