PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Riders vs. Wild Caught

ChrisN87
06/02/2001, 08:22 PM
Hiya Dr. Ron!!

ChrisN87
06/02/2001, 08:31 PM
I have been keeping seahorses since I was 10. Now, 8 years later, I am still keeping them.

I currently have dwarf seahorses, but I would like to get a much larger species. I want something that isn't too fussy when it comes to feeding. They would have to be hardy, not a target to disease.

I was thinking about getting Ocean Rider's Mustangs. People from Seahorse.org, told me that Ocean Riders are the way to go. People from a great mailing list called Ultimate Seahorse told me that Ocean Riders are no hardier then wild caught seahorses and that wild caught Hippocampus Erectus will eat frozen Mysis Shrimp.

I want to know what YOU think. Which is better ORs or WCs? They are both in about the same price range.. So price really doesn't matter. I just want the one that is easier to keep.

rshimek
06/02/2001, 11:52 PM
Hi Chris,

I have moved the thread here in hopes that you will get some useful advice.

I have no opinion on these animals having never kept any sea horse at all.

:cool:

tlc
06/03/2001, 01:03 AM
imo it is always better to support captive raised practices. the over harvesting of sea horses for asian medicine has truly declined there populations. in addition captive raised horses have been adapted for tank life. yes you can train wild caught to eat mysis. personaly i try to support any captive raised species. i have even paid double than what the wild caught would have cost me. i did a lot of research before diving into horses and the general concensus was that wild were more prone to infections, suffered greater stress from shipping and acclimation to tank life, and were hard to train to eat frozen. with that said i hope you choose ocean riders if for any reason to support captive breading. i look forward to the day that we can purchase most of our species from a breeders and leave our oceans and reefs for our viewing pleasures...

billsreef
06/03/2001, 05:50 AM
Hi Chris,

From everything I've heard the OR seahorses do very well. IMO it is good to go with aquacultured where possible. I have kept H. erectus that I've collected myself with sucess, but then I used to collect grass shimp too :D The biggest problem I find with wild caught is what they are subjected too going through the industry supply chain. The starvation and shipping and handling breaks down their immunity leaving them prone to infection and often an early death. Just more reasons to go with cultured ;)

ChrisN87
06/03/2001, 12:32 PM
Thanks Guys!

It looks like I will be getting 4 Ocean Rider Mustangs.
The price for the Mustangs and shipping should be around $147.

Next July, I will be going on a cruise. Could I buy live ghost shrimp or mysis shrimp and put them in the tank all at once or would the mustangs eat them all before I get back from vacation?