PDA

View Full Version : how long should it be invert only?

Vilas
06/02/2001, 06:39 PM
Whelp, after a crash and a wipeout, it looks like I'll be invert only until this parasite is TRULY DEAD. I'm not going through this again. The corals and shrimp are loving life and happy, water params are fine, I just need to keep it fish free for a while.
I was thinking six weeks, but I'm moving july 1, as it turns out. Having no fish will make that one a bit easier, hehe. So, mid july or early august, I figure? I want to be on the safe side - would you guys go a full 2 months?
I guess I'll board the corals at the LFS when I move, move the sand bed and rock damp, (in town move) wait for my tank to get reestablished, add the corals back after a couple of weeks, then start restocking slowly in late july if params are ok.
Sigh. Planning these things helps me stop getting teary. My copperband finally got sick enough to catch yesterday, he's hanging onto life in the hospital tank, bring dosed with copper, but just walking by the tank makes me get choked up. He's covered with a coat of ich, eyes all blurry..the works. All I can do is give the inverts a much tlc as possible, and wait...

billsreef
06/02/2001, 09:44 PM
I usually go for 6 weeks, however the longest duration I've ever seen documented for ich to remain as a viable cyst is 72 days, with the average being more like 30 days.

Good luck with the copper band.

Vilas
06/03/2001, 08:23 AM
OK, well, I'll play it safe, and if all looks good in early august, get a pair of percs. And leave it at that. :P