PDA

View Full Version : Banggai making odd noises

Drewman
06/01/2001, 11:14 PM
Hi everyone,

I have had my pair of Banggai for a while now, and over that time I have noticed quite a few interesting features of these amazing creatures. One of which is that many times my female makes (and this is the best way I can describe it) a clicking or "clucking" noise. When I first heard this I thought I had a pistol or mantis shrimp, but then I realized it was her. I am trying to figure out what provokes this, sometimes she does it while courting the male, other time she seems to hit the front glass with her jaw. I have seen one other website which briefly mentioned something like this, but I cannot find the link. Can anyone else tell me if they have observed this with their Banggai and if they have any idea why she does this? Thanks a lot.

Drew

billsreef
06/03/2001, 05:53 AM
I can't tell you about the banggai's specifically, but can tell you that a lot fish make noises as a form of communication. What it all means...who knows but to hear a bunch of toadfish bellow at night when your moored in some remote creek is really eerie :D

FMarini
06/04/2001, 09:31 AM
Hi:
Clicking, clucking noises are fairly common w/ these fish. The females appear to use it as a communication type of thing w/ the males. i have also heard the noise described as a snapping noise, either way, shes(your female) is flirting w/ the male.....enjoy it
frank