PDA

View Full Version : Hello, any one out there.

deucejimmo
06/01/2001, 06:54 PM
Any one listening ,
Where has everybody gone . I know everybodys problems havent just dissappeared. Kathi how goes the new tank? Brave hart wats up with the CA reactor . Mine is finally doing what it is supposed to. I finally got my tang back and the algea problem in my tank has subsided. Golfsuper did you get your actinics running yet . I have now got two 250W Iwasaki metal halides and two 6 foot VHO tubes above my tank . I really like them .What is the plan for our next meeting anyone know. :( :( :(

Kathi
06/04/2001, 01:41 PM
Hey deuce,
I was wondering the same thing. Where is everybody? I haven't been able to get into the jensalt website for quite awhile. Was wondering if I was the only one? My tank is up and running, but that's about it. I have about a 4" sandbed with approx. 100 lbs. of rock. I added some live sand from my tanks a couple of snails and that's as far as it goes. I feed the worms and pods, have a slight dymatom bloom, but will probably just let the tank go for awhile. Most of the rock was lace rock, I just added a few pieces of liverock. I'd like to give that a chance to become inhabited. I received an email from the "wanna be reefer". He's interested in attending the next meeting. I'm not sure if I'll be there or not. I've started a second job at HD and am not sure how I'll be scheduled for that week. Glad to hear your having some luck with your calcium reactor. The lights sound great. I might have to check out "the shimmer". Still haven't decided which way to go with my new tank. Halides or VHO.

golfsuper
06/04/2001, 10:15 PM
Hi guys,

I'm still here, just been in "lurk" mode since the golf course business has picked up. Jimmo, I have been waiting for six months for the ballasts that Kim told me he could get, but I think I'll forget that. Don't really have the time right now to put them in right now, so I guess I'm not all that stressed at this point. Lots of 14 hour days at work this time of year which leaves time for 5 mins. w/kids, eat dinner, and pass out. Sigh... maybe I'll come back as an office boy like Braveheart in my next life (just seeing if he's listening). Anyhow, all is stable in the tank. Still tinkering with the Ca/Alk levels a bit, but taking a page out of Kathi's book and looking at the corals more than the test kits. Thanks Kathi.

The bulletins are up for the next meeting, but I need your help guys. I will be in Tulsa for the U.S. Open next week when we will be meeting. I thought we could do a small coral fragging seminar with Kathi demonstrating softies and Jim on sps. I talked to Bryan this weekend and asked him to pick up some of my Mont. digitata for the sps demo. and maybe one of the leathers that Mark gave me for the softies. My wife would probably love to have someone else look at the tank in my absence (someone who actually cares about reef tanks, that is!). Anyhow, what do ya think? Hopefully it's o.k. since I've posted already. I have a feeling that turnout this summer will be low due to other interests taking a front seat to reefing, but we must perservere!!! Be brave in my absence; you can do it. By the way, someone should touch base with Mic as well 'cause he said he had some pieces that he'd like to donate to the cause as well. Call me before Sunday if you have any other ideas.

golfsuper

deucejimmo
06/04/2001, 11:43 PM
golfsuper
your ballast is at Kims , It arrived with my MH bulbs. :D

Kathi
06/05/2001, 10:00 AM
golfsuper,

I'd be glad to help out with the demo. I should know by this Friday, whether I have to work next Thursday night. In the event I can't make it, maybe Mic or Kim could fill in. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

reefskinner
06/07/2001, 06:58 AM
Hi Guys, One of these days I will make it to a meeting and will get to meet you all. deucejimmo, I see you live in Meridian. I do also, we may be neighbors and don't know it. Kathi, where did you get the lace rock? I have been wanting to get a few pieces of it myself. I think I am going to go against the grain and go with 8 x 110watt VHO on my 90. I am not happy with the results I was getting from the Iwasaki's. Growth was great, but color just wasn't like I wanted. Hope everyones tanks are doing well.......

Shawn

golfsuper
06/08/2001, 10:07 PM
Hey shawn,

Long time no talk. Sorry to hear you don't like the Iwasakis. I've been running them on my system for over a year, and have to agree with you on color, but I still haven't done anything about it. I will be adding a couple of VHO actinics some time this year, once things calm down at work a bit. If you are looking to sell any of your bulbs, let me know. BTW, I'm also in Meridian or Eagle, or Boise, kinda hard to tell. I live on the corner of Chinden and Eagle, right where all three cities meet. I'll be out of town this week, but give me a buzz some time and we can get together. E-mail me for my #.

Kevin

deucejimmo
06/10/2001, 08:33 PM
reefskinner,
My tank is set up at my mothers house which is off overland between eagle and cloverdale i currently reside in the newer neighborhood off of locust grove and fairview. Golfsuper if you were refering to me doing the demo on fragging Ill be glad to help.

Kathi
06/10/2001, 10:47 PM
Just to let anyone who is interested know, I won't be able to attend the meeting this week. I've been scheduled to work that evening. So the soft coral fragging demo is up for grabs.
Shawn, the last batch of lace rock was purchased at International Stone. You can probably find it at any of the nurseries that carry stone. I like it because it's so porous. Gives the critters lots of places to make homes. Hope to see you all next month. Post how the meeting goes.
Thanks!

reefskinner
07/20/2001, 06:21 PM
I keep forgetting this forum is here. Ever since they made it a sub file, I forget to look here. It looks like I am pretty close to you guys. I live off of Ustick between Linder and Ten Mile. deucejimmo, which sub do you live in? I probably drive by your house every day, since I work near there. Kevin, I got rid of my Iwasaki lamps a while ago when I switched over to the 12000 kelvin Sunbursts. The color is pretty nice, but they are a great deal dimmer. I would recommend that a person go with 400 watters if they were to choose that lamp. The 90 is still in the garage waiting for me to get the new stand built, so I have one MH on my 25 as a get me by while I finish the 90. Kathi, thanks for the tip on the rock. I never even thought about them. Funny thing is, I have been there several times getting other rock for the yard, and didn't even notice the lace rock.

Shawn

deucejimmo
07/22/2001, 01:11 AM
reefskinner
Rolling hills is the street . its off overland the last street before cloverdale. If you want a great deal on some lace rock Kim a Jensalt just purchased a bout 200Lbs of it . I dont know exactly what he wants for it but Ill bet its cheaper there than anywhere else Im shure he will make you a great deal .
Kathi
I have my old overflow box if you are interested in putting a sump under your 55 . what happend to you at the last meeting it was pretty unspectacular. Kelly , Brian , Kevin, Kim and me . I guess that Kelly bought a 180gal and a 75 gal aquarium at a yard sale . Other than that , not a whole lot going on. ;)