PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my nanos

Pinecone_Jeff
06/01/2001, 05:18 PM
Hi, I just loaded up a bunch of pictures of my 2 nano reefs. Just thought I'd share! The link is kinda long... blame Yahell! Here it is: http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/pinecone_jeff/lst?.dir=/Steinhart+Aquarium+Reef+Pictures/Jeff%27s+6+and+10+Gallon+Nano+Reefs&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/pinecone_jeff/lst%3f%26.dir=/Steinhart%2bAquarium%2bReef%2bPictures%26.src=ph%26.view=t

Carlos
06/01/2001, 06:41 PM
Very cool!!!

Pinecone_Jeff
06/02/2001, 07:37 PM
Here's a more accessable link to the pictures. Hope you didn't have trouble getting on before.

To see Jeff's reef pictures, click here! (http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/pinecone_jeff )

toddgack
06/05/2001, 06:09 PM
great looking tanks. I got a question though. Is that a condylactus (pink tip) anemone in there? And is that a percula or false-percula clown? I couldn't quite tell. Either way, if that is a pink tip anemone, how'd you get the clowns to hang around it. I've heard that clowns don't really care for pink tips.

Oh well, I've been wrong before.

Great pics, can't wait to see some more when you get the corals into the 10g.

TG

Pinecone_Jeff
06/05/2001, 07:24 PM
Thanks, Todd! Yes that was a condy and that was an ocellaris. I say was because while I was away for a few days, the condy got sucked up the filter intake and died and fouled the tank. I lost the ocellaris, a bunch of hermit crabs and snails, a rock full of brown shrooms, a bubble coral, and bunch of other stuff. The only things that survived were a few hermits, a fat bristle worm, 4 mushroom polyps (which are doing very well now), and some coraline algae.

But to answer your question, my ocellaris and condy had a love hate relationship. One week, the fish would be all over the condy, then for the next two weeks, it would avoid it. Then for another week, it'll be all over the anemone. I think that the condy may have been stinging the clown and since it's not a natural symbiont, the clown didn't have all of it's defensive capabilities against the condy's stings. I know there's still a lot of debate about how clownfishes are or how they become immune to their host anemone's sting. But however the mechanism works, a condy makes a poor host substitute.

And yes, I can't wait to put more corals in my 10 gal. I'm thinking of tearing down my 6 and cannibalizing it's components and putting the critters into my 10. I can use the 6 gal's lights over a refugium for the 10g for instance!

toddgack
06/05/2001, 07:56 PM
ouch, that really sucks about your condylactus, sorry to hear about it. I had a condylactus in my tank, one day it was fine, the next day it was dead. Luckily i got it out with a few hours after it passed, so it didn't cause any problem.

TG

Pinecone_Jeff
06/05/2001, 08:01 PM
Yeah, if he didn't get sucked into the filter, he probably would have done well. I had him for almost a year before the mishap. Oh well. It just goes to show that you have to have a specialized tank for anemones if you're even going to keep one. I don't think I'll get another one for some time. I think I want to concentrate on corals - softies, LPSs, and maybe a hardy SPS.