PDA

View Full Version : I'll be in the area

CdnReefer
10/01/2003, 07:25 AM
Well, I'll be in PA next week. Not sure how close I'll be to North Central PA. I'm staying in Wilkes-Barre. Are there any reef shops that I'll be close to? I don't mind driving a couple of hours. I'm from Canada and was hoping to pick up a few supplies as the prices where I'm from are very expensive. I was hoping to get some VHO bulbs.

Thanks!

GarSrtn
10/01/2003, 10:23 AM
I don't know what's in Wilkes-Barre, but you can get from Wilkes-Barre to Williamsport in about 1.5 hours. There's a few shops in Williamsport.

Fizz71
10/01/2003, 11:15 AM
Wilke-barre puts you 2 hours from ThatFishPlace.

--Fizz

zooqi
10/01/2003, 11:23 AM
our sponsor have a shop in Wilkes-Barre area but the store that is in Bloomsburg which is 45 minutes from Wilke's Barre has saltwaterfish systems and equipments. There are other stores close to Philly too. As Garsrtn said that there are a few shops around Williamsport area too. I might be in Wilkes-Barre area sometimes next week and if you want you can give me a call and pick up what you want and bring it to you to Wilkes-Barre or you can email me ahead of time. I have a friend who orders stuff from TFP to my place and then picks them up when he is in the area. We have members from Wilkes-Barre area and they might have other options. If you will be here for the next weekend then you can join us for our frag meeting in Williamsport which is about an hour and a half from Wilkes-Barre.

CdnReefer
10/01/2003, 01:28 PM
Thanks ppl! zooqi, I think I will look you up. Looks like I'm going to be down there for 6 weeks flying back every two weeks. I would love to attend the frag meeting. Not sure I could get stuff, but it would be a good time to see what goes on. Do they sell Icecap balast your way? I'm looking for one and would like to get the 660.

zooqi
10/01/2003, 02:04 PM
It will be nice to see you here and if you need a ballast then I have one here and is new and I also have a used one too and might have two in the basement. I was going to use it on my system and decided to go to MH lights. I'm sure you will have good time. I will have a pile of used equipment too.

CdnReefer
10/01/2003, 09:55 PM
Hey zooqi, that sounds excellent! How much does a new 660 go for your way. If the used one isn't too expensive, I'll probably get that from you. I need a lighting upgrade and was thinking about either MH or VHO. I would like to go MH, but figured MH would be too expensive to run and the bulbs up this way are about $160. I can get a MH 250W ballast for about $80 from the local lighting company. That with the cost of the bulbs and the running of MH are why I decided on VHO and why I asked about the Icecap ballast. I have a 33gal. tank 36" L x 18" H x 12" W. I thought one 250W 20k bulb would do, maybe just a 175W would do. I just don't know and want my lighting decission to be my last one. What do you think? I don't know too much about MH and I may have been mislead. I have a friend who is running an Icecap with VHO and loves it. ahhh... I just don't know...

Looks like I'm going this Sunday for two weeks and I'll be around for the frag swap. Man, I would love to get some stuff, but just don't have the means, but just the same it will be cool to be at the meeting. We really don't have that kind of stuff up this way.

If you don't mind, give a number I can reach you at. My e-mail is leafy@accesswave.ca.

Thanks!
Leafy

zooqi
10/01/2003, 10:05 PM
Sanjoy one of the members has some MH ballast that you might want to look at if you are going to MH. I used VHO for a long time and still use them in some of the systems that I have setup and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a SPS fan like many members are and I know that MH is a big thing with SPS. I just put a system together for the meeting and I have MH on it and I hope that it won't go through the algae cycle that fast since I'm using an establish sump on it and is more water than the tank. I will check and see how much I paid the VHO 660 and will update you. If you want to get corals and leave them with me and pick them up when you leave that is fine with me too. I'm sure I can find them a good home for you.

CdnReefer
10/02/2003, 10:03 PM
Ya, I am interested in a MH ballast. If I go MH (still thinking about VHO), I more then likely will go 250W. I was looking at these bulbs URL=http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=lb-h2520]here[/URL]. I was hoping that I would only need to run one on my tank. Do you carry or know where I could get this type of bulb down your way? Maybe you know a better MH setup. I'm willing to take any advice.

Again, I'm planning on attending the frag swap, but could meet you anywhere to see your hardware. I don't mind driving out to where you're at. I have feeling I'll be pretty bored in the evenings and on the weekends. Any places you recommend seeing? I'm a big hockey fan and may try to get in a few hockey games. Also, are there any Aquariums, like New England Aquarium around? I don't mind driving and I'll have a rent-a-car.. might as well use it...

Thanks!

sixpackrt
10/03/2003, 12:33 AM
im only 10 mile away from wilkes-barrie

zooqi
10/03/2003, 01:41 AM
here you go, I know that 6 pack can show you around the area. He knows the area more than I do.

CdnReefer
10/06/2003, 07:39 PM
Well, I made it down. I'm in Wilkes-Barrie tonight. Flew into Newark. I missed my exit and ended out in a place called Clinton... I had a bad feeling about that area. I ended up finding a place I felt save enough to go ask...

I hope I can make it out to the frag swap. Maybe even get a few things to take back home... I'm also looking for a 250W MH ballast and two 250W 20k bulbs. I may even get a new protein skimmer. Anyone have some used gear they would be interested in selling, or know a good place that has pretty good prices.

Anyone close to Wilkes-Barrie? Wouldn't mind checking out your setup...

shimmy_yaz
10/06/2003, 10:32 PM
If you like hockey you can go see the Pittsburgh Penguins AHL team. They have a nice arena in Wilkes-Barre, I usually go to a couple games a year.

http://www.wbspenguins.com/

They play:
Home Opener - Oct 8 vs Norfolk at 7:05 - 331 tickets available

Saturday, Oct 11 vs Norfolk Admirals at 7:05 - 488 tickets available

I love hockey too. I will be in Philly this Saturday to see the Big Pens and the Flyers.