PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Adventure

ReefCorner
09/29/2003, 11:13 AM
At the last meeting the manager from Aquarium Adventure came to our to annouce the opening of the new store in Carle Place Long Island. He give out application cards for member to the Fish Club at the new store. The discounts are 25% for all livestock including marine. and 10% on merchandise purchase.

On September 20, 2003, my son and I decide to visit the new store. I store is arranged very nicely. Freshwater and planted aquarium presented very well.

Large display of fish tanks ranging 2 gallon to 220 gallon. And aquarium merchandise.

But was disappointed with marine section. Nice fish tanks. But poor coral tanks :confused:

A lot of the tanks are plagued with brown algae. Corals are poorly lit. The corals are struggling to open.

Good stock on tank cleanup crew.

Almost everything in the store very very expensive. One mushroom rock or polyps rock range about $65 - $80. Even with discount its still expensive.:(

I purchase two corals, only because they had a weekly special on 50% off on any two livestock purchase.

I returned this Saturday, since I was in the neighborhood. They had some big, beautiful Blood Shrimps. Asking price $68.00

I hope someone else visits. Tell me what you think.

witowsks
09/29/2003, 09:02 PM
I just bought a 150g from one of the owners for $150, brand new never used drilled that he had leftover in his wharehouse from a old store...also sold me Fiji rock (base rock now) that was laying around for $1.00 a lb......seemed like a nice guy, but people have to remember , Aquarium Adventure is a Franchise so im not sure how much the owners have in say on how there pricing structure goes....JMO

Julio
10/11/2003, 09:27 PM
I benn there as well, i was there last week to take a looke at the store beautiful store but too pricey for me.

Faye Valentine
10/13/2003, 11:51 PM
AA is a franchise, and the owners of the LI store are businessmen, not fisheeks. If you are concerned abou the store and want to complain, I would suggest hitting up their corporate store, AA in Columbus, and talk to the owner, or to Petland INC.

Things wont change unless you help make them change.

Faye

Julio
10/14/2003, 06:07 AM
Well, we are not looking for a change, we are just saying as customers that we would not shop at the store because of theri high prices, it is an independent franchise like you said therefore they can set pretty much their prices, if you go to a couple of different Mcdonals you will notice that they don't have the same price, a meal at 57th St. Will cost you $7 when it will cost you $5 at cross town.

JToddyBAS
10/14/2003, 08:49 AM
I think the owners know their prices are high, I'm sure they have heard it from many customers... I think that's why they have a 25% discont on live stock. There is a method to their madness... I think.
They have sort of an Aquarium Adventure club. Once you join you get a 25% discount on live stock and a 10% or 15% discount on dry goods. The idea, I think, is to hook people into getting a "deal" on their "expensive items" and keep them coming back for the deals. I would think, once you get the discount, the price you pay will be in line with other high end pet stores. What do you think? I have not yet been to the store but have heard it is really big with lots of tanks. I'm looking forward to making a trip there in the near future.
As a disclosure I must say that Aquarium Adventure has become a suporter of the Brooklyn Aquarium Society...and has made donations of fish and dry good to our society... So I know they are trying to reach out to hobbyists in the area. Lets give them a chance and see how things shake out...
Being part of a larger company can have a good deal to do with the pricing of fish. Your feed back to the owners is needed if you think prices are out of line...remember they are in a business and will respond to the pressures of the market...That market is you, the hobbyist, letting them know how you feel. Then see how they handle your comments. No I do not work for them...but I am a member of the BAS and the editor of the Aquatica and the BAS Bulletin...in which they advertise...so I'm not so fast to judge them. They are new in our area so, I'd give them some time to work things out.
Be well, John

ReefCorner
10/14/2003, 09:36 AM
I visited AA again this weekend. I happen to be in the area. I was looking from a specific medication for my percula clown.

The pipzine to expell external parasites.

Petco down the road did not have the med, AA did. There did not know they even had the meds.

But the manager knows me very well, now. And welcomes me very time I pop in the store.

This Saturday all marine fish was 35% discount. Those Blood Shrimp were still priced at $68. And not much seem to be sold since my like visit two week ago.

The manager told me at our BAS auction he in excepting some nice pieces of coral in this week.

I have never discuss the pricing with the manager, but maybe next visit I will.

ReefCorner
10/14/2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Faye Valentine
AA is a franchise, and the owners of the LI store are businessmen, not fisheeks. If you are concerned abou the store and want to complain, I would suggest hitting up their corporate store, AA in Columbus, and talk to the owner, or to Petland INC.

Things wont change unless you help make them change.

Faye

Does Petland own AA or partners. I guest AA is a upscale version of Petland.:eek:

Faye Valentine
10/14/2003, 12:12 PM
Let's just say I know a good deal about the store.

Prices are high, just like other fish only retailers since it's very hard to make money on fish. Why do you think there are so many pet stores that carry a small amount of fish, and even then the fish they carry are easy for them to maintain so they don't lose an arm and a leg on them. Dog food makes them money, they have fish just to have fish. Once the interest gets higher employee wise, they may get harder to keep fish in, but thats all dependant on who is running their fishroom. At Columbus AA, there were a lot of fishgeeks that knew how to maintain harder fish, and could sell them to customers. Many places don't have that knowledgebase, and since LI AA is new, they aren't quite there yet. Unfortunatly they have to have that markup, but yes do offer a discount club. 25% fish, 10% dry goods. Sometimes they will run storewise fish sales up to 55% off for all customers.

Of course NY customers are used to higher priced goods, so I'm not surprised you guys aren't ranting about the prices so much. In Columbus, customers are used to shopping Wal-Mart and won't pay for better selection, better store, or better service.

As far as Petland goes, AA was derived from them, and is still tied with them as a franchise. Soon enough that may change, I certainly hope so.

I've met the owners of the store and they are awesome and nice, so if you get to know them, I'm sure they will help you with whatever you want along the way. But they won't be able to change the prices, maybe explaina little mroe about why they are what they are.

Faye

Julio
10/14/2003, 03:09 PM
The only way you get the 25% disc is by applying for a card that will cost you $45 initially and manny people would and are not willing to do that.

Faye Valentine
10/14/2003, 04:10 PM
WOW. In Columbus it's 19.99 for a year, 49.99 for lifetime.

Faye

Julio
10/14/2003, 06:39 PM
yeah i guess the word Independent franchise is not taken lightly.

JToddyBAS
10/15/2003, 10:03 AM
I had no idea that there was a cost for getting an Aquariuim Adventure discount card.
The members of the Brooklyn Aquarium Society who attended the September meeting got to fill out there form and got a card for free! There was no mention of cost at the meeting. I think most everyone there got a card... I know, I did.
Maybe if you're a member of a society they well wave he fee, or maybe you all should join the BAS, or find out if they will make the same deal with your society, if you belong to one. I would aggree $45 is a steep price to pay to save 10% to 25% off items. Talk to them and see what they say... talk to an owner not just a clerk. I think I will give them a call and see what the story is... I'll let you all know what they say. John

JToddyBAS
10/15/2003, 03:14 PM
Ok, folks... here is the story on Aquarium Adventures.
I called and spoke to Scott, one of the owners. Here are the facts.
Yes ,Julio there is a charge for the discount card. But wait!
They are now giving the card away FREE TO ALL WHO ASK FOR IT. THE CARD IS GOOD FOR ONE (1) YEAR FROM THE DATE YOU GET IT FOR DISCOUNTS. Anyone can get it FREE! I believe until the end of the month. This month October 31st.
But Scott said even past that deadline:
If you are a member of a tropical fish society, just show them your membership card, no questions asked you will get a discount card Free. They may even give you more cards for you to distribute to the other members of your society. if you are an officer of a society...ask for Scott and he will arrange to get you all the discount applications you need for your members. Since they are new "on the block" they are trying to reach out to hobbyists throughtout the tri-state area.
After the one year Scott said, there will be a membership charge of $19.99 or $49.99 for a lifetime membership if you wish to contuine to stay in their discount program.
All I can say is, see if it's worth it, by getting a discount card now for free, for one year. If you spend enough throughtout the year it may be worth the membership fee when the free year ends.
I know lots of books stores that do the same thing, and they have lots of their customers signing up, so it must be worth it to them, if they spend enough on books through the year. But Wait!
So I hope this clears up any confusion you all have about the discount cards. Get a card, it can's hurt, and it's free.
John:hammer:

Julio
10/15/2003, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the clear up John.

JToddyBAS
10/16/2003, 03:15 PM
That's Ok Julio,
There is so much misinformation on line I thought I should personally check it out. Thay kind of misinformation can really mess up a business that is trying to do the best it can ina really competive business.
Glad I could help. John:rollface:

Faye Valentine
10/19/2003, 09:30 PM
WOW well I'm glad Scott is helping out the local societies. Sounds like the BAC is a firm association. In Columbus (Obviously I live there) the AA there doesn't do a lot of things for clubs and societies. I used to work there and was hoping to change that fact down the road. I'm glad to hear that LI is helping out the fishgeeks there, quite a nice gesture of them.

I guess that goes to show you that independent franchises can be somewhat that, i guess.

Faye

JToddyBAS
10/20/2003, 10:14 AM
Faye,
Working with the societies is the best way to get your businees established. It only makes good business sence to do it. This idea that societies are in competition with the stores is paranoid thinking. The stores need the societies and the societys need the stores. They can help each other grow... At least, that's the philosphy of the Brooklyn Aquarium Society. It works for us. We do what we can to help our supporters. I would recommend that other societies think about what they can do to work with their local stores. We do everything we can to help them, from giving them a link on our web site to printing up coupons (at our expense) for discounts at their stores. Also every time they donate an item to our auctions we make sure they have their businees card attached, and announce it to the membrship each time their items come up of auction or sale. Also we list them as doners in our newsletter and on the web site. We have even asked those store owners who feel comfortable to speak to the membership as a guest speaker.
I'm sure you guy could think of many othe things you could do. John