PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on the Sept. 27th Frag. Swap...

NorthCoast
09/28/2003, 06:32 PM
The purpose of the thread is to give feedback on the Sept. 27th Frag Swap. Read more in the original thread here... (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=215186)

I had a great time and look forward to the next event. I want to thank everyone that participated - old friends, new friends, sponsors and especially everyone that organized and coordinated this event. :thumbsup:

Please provide your feedback and appreciation... :D

Later,
Mark
(a.k.a. NorthCoast)

szwab
09/28/2003, 10:06 PM
good thread northcoast I agree whether it is good or bad we should put all the info we can out there to make the next bigger and better.

One ting I'd like to see is a "more formal" greeting to "register" people as they arrive. I tried but between swapping and just making sure things were going well I couldn't catch everyone. Maybe if some were willing to take shifts this coulsd be accomplished.

prime8man
09/29/2003, 12:10 AM
Well i can say that was the coolest thing ive been to in a while, some of you might remember me buying up anything i thought was hardy for a newbie like myself.... (i was the guy with the little 5 year old girl if that helps) i got a good haul, just about everything i wanted, only thing i didnt see much of was mushrooms which i was hoping to get my hands on. You guys put on a heck of a show but, im glad i found this sight and came to the meeting.. You'll hear more from me and im looking forward into helping out all i can. Ill post some pics soon of the corals i got. They all are doing very well and are happy in their new home. Im looking forward to learning more from such high end aquarists, looking at the quality of the corals i saw at the shows and the content in this site, i can say im impressed i havent found this much "content" on the internet in a while.. but my only question is why did it take me so long to find this site???? Ive been a member on the columbus area fish enthusist site for years and ive scanned the yahoo members site weekly, and i scour for info on corals daily i dont understand why it took me so long to find this site? Advertizement may be a issue?

thanks Prime8maN

shaw
09/29/2003, 12:12 AM
it was pretty fun, got a lot of frags that i was looking for. thank you

geo
09/29/2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by szwab

One ting I'd like to see is a "more formal" greeting to "register" people as they arrive. Iaccomplished.

I agree, I am quite sure more than a few didn't get signed in. Need to get a couple loudmouth reefer wives (mrs geo :) ) to sit at the table and harass everyone as they walk in :lol:. I really liked the layout of the room you came up with, that was nice. When the elevator doors opened up it was like "WOW". It wouldnt be a bad idea to have the vendors "donate" a few bucks to help cover the cost of things as well.

kmacartney
09/29/2003, 07:17 AM
I thought it was awsome. Now I am sorry that I did put my name tag on. (I was the guy with the OU shirt on) Everyone was so friendly and helpful. I will definitely make it to the next one.

NorthCoast
09/29/2003, 07:49 AM
I agree with the more formal registration. For next time we could set it up right outside the doors (or in this case, at the lower entrance). That way people aren't tempted like kids in a candy store and just wander past with eyes all glazed over. ;)

I would also suggest placing the vendors at the opposite end of the entrance. This way people won't group in the higher traffic area.

Those with lists or inventory of corals they brought had a good idea - I found that helpful. Perhaps for the next swap few tips could be published. I always bring my own containers (the little plastic zip-lock bags and Glad bowls). Something to carry everything in (if you didn't bring much) becuase leaving with more is an almost given. :D Hand towels seem to be one of those things and rubberbands seemed to be demand. ;)

Feel free to add more coments and suggestions.

Thanks,
Mark

NorthCoast
09/29/2003, 01:32 PM
Additional feedback here also: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=248348

geo
09/29/2003, 03:32 PM
isn't it funny how everyone seems to go home with more than they came with :)
how is that.....not that i am complaining

cward
09/29/2003, 08:10 PM
I wish I could have stayed longer, but my in-laws were in town and you know how that goes. I did have chance to meet a few people which was cool, but I would have liked to had more of a chance to talk about reefing with some more people. Maybe next time.
Thank's for having this great event.
Chris Ward

geo
09/29/2003, 08:46 PM
hey chris we are in the same town

cward
09/30/2003, 07:25 AM
Hey geo, I sent you a PM.

cone9
09/30/2003, 08:18 PM
Firstly, thanks to ‘szwab’ for hosting!

Now, some of my thoughts.
This series of swaps began here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52916
We had about twenty reefers show up and I’m certain (look at the end of the thread as we relate our experiences) we all had a great time and came away with new stuff, new friends, and new knowledge. It was enthusiastically followed by the swap at Dale’s house in Hartville and then Trent’s in Dublin, and then Rick’s in Strongsville, and then John’s house (I missed this one L). They shared a similar set-up and ‘feel’ to the events – somebody’s house, many of us brought munchies, and we looked at the host’s tank.
I don’t know about the last one at John’s, but by the time we reached Rick’s it was a very crowded house indeed – must have been close to 50 reefers there.

I found all of these events to be very rewarding. I was a fairly prolific trader – usually taking 20+ frags and bringing home a similar number. It was great fun and I’ve filled my tank with the proceeds. Most of my time was spent trading (in the spirit of the event) rather than buying or selling. Often, we’d set up and leave our tables to walk about looking. If you wanted to work out a trade, you often had to search out who’s stuff you’d seen, as he/she was walking about as well – kinda’ forced us to mingle more.
This swap had more of a ‘commercial’ feel to it; not a bad thing - just a different thing! I only did one pre-arranged swap (thanks Jason) and bought a couple things, as my tank is full, but still had a good time.

I liked having the dealers there. Rick, CoralDynamics, has been in since Stan’s house and Serdar was at Trent’s, so it’s not a new thing. They had nice stuff at internet prices without the shipping cost – how can you complain about that! I bought a couple things from Serdar, myself. Several people have suggested we hold it the same place every time, often referring to ‘next year’. I think the same location (if possible) for an annual event would be great. Downtown parking for a buck – there’s a bargain! Plenty of space and light. I too would like to see the dealers set up more to the rear and somewhat segregated from the ‘traders’ tables. We may also need a security guard, as well, with a big stick to whack the ‘reefer thiefer’ should he show his salt creepy hands again!

Maybe it was just that I wasn’t active engaged in working trades this time, but I got the feel that more reefers were into selling than swapping – perhaps then using those dollars to buy from someone else, but none-the-less a different, less friendly (for lack of a better word) approach – just didn’t have that warm, fuzzy feeling to it. Then again, maybe it was just that Frick-N-Frags wasn’t there with his ‘fuzzy’ leather!!! Anyway, I’d hope the ‘road show’ can continue with various hosts about the state several times each year. I like approaching another reefer to compare our stuff and work a swap we both found satisfying. I don’t mind buying things, but I much prefer trading to selling.

Dave

geo
10/01/2003, 07:02 AM
I would much rather trade as well, I even feel odd when someone ask me "how much". I think more people are showing up empty handed with full intentions of buying new corals for their set ups. Hopefully the purchased corals will grow and then be fragged for a future swap.

NorthCoast
10/01/2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by cone9
Maybe it was just that I wasn’t active engaged in working trades this time, but I got the feel that more reefers were into selling than swapping – perhaps then using those dollars to buy from someone else, but none-the-less a different, less friendly (for lack of a better word) approach – just didn’t have that warm, fuzzy feeling to it...

Dave

I think that the experience was a little less relaxed at the downtown location. That is not a bad thing - just different. I can say the swaps at individual homes (even in informal gathering of 40 at my place :) ) seemed to have a more get together feel. I think it has to do a lot with a more casual setting of a home.

One thing lacking was a display tank (and system) to gather around. At someone's home, people would gather around a focal point and often start conversations on various topics. Another thing was having a comfortable place to talk away from the trading yet close enough not to be too removed.

Just some thoughts,
Mark

NorthCoast
10/01/2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by geo
I would much rather trade as well, I even feel odd when someone ask me "how much". I think more people are showing up empty handed with full intentions of buying new corals for their set ups. Hopefully the purchased corals will grow and then be fragged for a future swap. I fragged a number of corals with the intention of bringing them, however, a friend at work had recently started a tank and I felt the need to help him along the way. :D For me it was difficult being on the asking side this time... I'll be ready with a number of softies for next time. :) They never stop growing... :D

later,
Mark

shaw
10/01/2003, 11:45 AM
Ya, i would rather trade and get something totally new than get 10-20 bucks for a frag, but you know sometimes you need that green. but trading is the best! it helps everyone out without taking from the ocean and giving business's in mostly california our money

Underwaterrealms
10/04/2003, 12:49 AM
I really liked the location of the swap and was glad to see so many people there. I picked up some awsome zoos, green spotted shrooms, red metallic shrooms, purple gorgonians and a purple anacropora. The location was very nice and accomodating for the group we have. I would love to have one yearly here, if it is possible thanks to Mark(Szwab).

I went to the swap at Coraldynamics hosted by Rick also. It was very nice too, but different in that it was more casual, which is nice. It was my first swap and I had worked out so many trades before hand I did not have any extra corals to spread around and I felt like I should have had more, although I did acquire some awsome stuff from feeronan frick and frags cone9 and Rick himself. I also have been to Mark's (Northcoast) and that was a great time also not to mention getting together over a beer somewhere to talk shop every once in a while.

I like the idea of having swaps at different locations to change things up a little. I will be honest and only had one reefer offer a trade but I think it was due the the fact I only had mostly small zooanthid frags.

I will have a lot more soon to trade and will be going to the mini convention in cleveland and I am really looking forward to it.

Happy Reefing
Chuck

SSEAL
10/04/2003, 06:40 AM
Great comments everyone. I had a great time at the Swap!

Just comment/idea on future swap locations:

The All Ohio Frag Swap location has always alternated from Columbus to Cleveland to Columbus and so on with the next one being in Cleveland (thinking February 2004).
I spoke breifly to GEO and it was mentioned that we should hold a swap in the Toledo area to draw the Michigan crowd. This is a great idea. Maybe we should open the swap locations to other City's as well like Youngstown, Toledo, and Cincinatti. The only downfall is that the Ohio Frag Swap typically meets twice a year. If we hold 4-5 events a year (Columbus, Cleveland, Toledo, Cincinatti, Youngstown) the Swap may loose some of its value. What if held three swaps a year. one in Columbus, one in Cleveland, and one floater that Toledo, Youngstown, and Cincinatti can take turns alternating.

Lastly, as the attendance has grown to over 100 reefer per swap I like the idea of having the swap in a more open set up rather than someones home. Maybe we should try to keep the same location for each City's event.

Let me know what you think.

s2