PDA

View Full Version : Garibaldi

Rhodophyta
09/27/2003, 06:22 PM
Does anyone know the legal issues of keeping this cool water fish? The garibaldi is California's official state fish and resembles a giant damselfish.

Rhodophyta
09/29/2003, 12:19 AM
All I have found out so far is that California had a collecting moratorium in effect from 1995 until 2002. I suppose being a coldwater damsel that reaches 14" would deter most aquarists from attempting to keep one. However.

Has anyone any information about any legal restrictions still in effect?

bgoode
09/29/2003, 11:22 PM
As far as I know, it is still illegal to collect anything off California.

Rhodophyta
09/30/2003, 05:39 AM
BGOODE, at California state sites, I could find no regulations other than this one, '95 to 2002. Do you have a source? Thanks.

bgoode
09/30/2003, 06:09 PM
I work for an aquarium maintenance company in San Diego and my boss said a client wanted one, but they were illegal to collect.

Rhodophyta
09/30/2003, 08:54 PM
You need a large tank, a matching size chiller, and due to its aggressive nature, no other fish in the tank. That sounds like enough to discourage most people. It should be.

From what I have found out so far, they are being legally collected in Mexico. Because the catch is concentrated on juveniles, most of which in the natural scheme of things do not survive predation and competition, there is little impact on the population.

Even if the '95 moratorium was for a set time, like temporary taxes and term limits, once something is set in the mortar of politics, it seldom goes away. The moratorium is still being enforced, whatever the standing of the original law.

This is still not a good aquarium fish. It needs are too different from the typical tropical specimen, and due to its aggressive nature, it needs to be kept alone. The cold water "live rock" that could be kept with the fish is just not available, so it would depend on advanced filtration and freqquent water changes. Like many other fish, as mentioned in the recent U. N. report on the aquarium trade's effect on the world economy and ecology, it would be best left in the wild where it is not endangered.

The Lance
10/04/2003, 12:26 AM
I have seen several of these on sale lists from wholesalers and while working at R.F.C. had a few in a species tank in the back. I have also seen them at a store here in K.C. Last year I visited a friend in Chicago that took me to a house that had a 725 kelp bed style tank that had 7 that were at least 8". This was a coldwater marine tank and held some unusual fish (the kelp was fake but looked really cool).

montiel12
10/04/2003, 12:42 AM
Check with California Fish and Game. I believe there is a hefty fine for taking a Giribaldi. I heard its in the thousands$

Rhodophyta
10/04/2003, 05:55 AM
Montiel, that was one of many websites I searched, before starting this thread. Since the mid ninties, there have been many rumors and stories about this fish, especially in California. It is not suitable for most hobbyist aquariums, so it should not be sold in pet shops mixed with warmer water species.

montiel12
10/04/2003, 09:40 AM
I agree with you Rhodo. These fish should be kept only if you can replicate the physical properties of their environment.

Project Reef
10/05/2003, 05:35 AM
I see these fish quite often at wholesalers down here. I believe they bring them out from Mexico, the ones from Catalina are illegal to take.