PDA

View Full Version : 4 free table acro (sarmentosa) frags. local pickup only.

tfp
09/27/2003, 06:06 PM
i bought a wild colony (will never do that again) 2 months ago that has stn.

for some reason, he just doesn't seem happy in my tank. i fragged him up at 3:45pm today (avoided any stalks showing signs of the stn) and kept a few pieces for myself but would like to give away the other pieces to locals in hopes that he will survive.

to increase the chances of this, i'd like to have him spread out in four different stable systems. the first four locals that reply to this thread can each have one piece.

thanks,
tim

tfp
09/27/2003, 06:07 PM
blurry pic of 3 pieces in background...

Marc Daniels
09/28/2003, 12:41 AM
Tim-

I would love to have a piece, and can pick up whenever it's conveinant for you. I live in Elk Grove but work in El Dorado Hills so I could pick up after work Mon-Fri. I could also run out tomorrow (Sunday), and bring a frag to trade. I have a nice fiji S. elegans about 2" across, m. digitata frags as well.
Marc

got chow
09/28/2003, 04:45 AM
Hmm... I'm a local, but not part of MARS. I did however drive Morgan from Inland Aquatics from the Bay Area into Sacramento though! ;) I wouldn't mind taking a frag for you, although I do have a sarmentosa frag already. I'm in Davis and unknown when I can make it to Folsom to pick up a frag.

Maybe if there are 4 people who want to pick up the frags then go ahead. If no one else bites then I'll make the drive and pick one up off your hands. ;)

tfp
09/28/2003, 10:39 AM
danieldm, you don't have to bring any frag in exchange b/c i really don't know if this guy will survive. but if you want to, thats cool. i'll be around after 1pm Sunday up until 6:30pm. pm me and i'll get ya directions.

brian chow, if 3 others don't jump on them i'll hold a frag for you.

Photon
09/30/2003, 12:53 AM
Hey Tim,
How are the frags?
So far things are OK in my tank. Do you want to risk a frag?
James

Did you get my PM about sand?

changhsu
09/30/2003, 01:40 AM
Hi Tim,

I'm interested and I'm in Elk Grove.

Hi danieldm,

Would you be willing to pick up a piece for me too? Let me know how I can compensate you.

Thanks to all in advance!!!

-chang

tfp
09/30/2003, 09:42 AM
frags are now all reserved for:
danieldm, photon, changhsu and pam.

tim

Photon
09/30/2003, 10:19 AM
Hey Tim.
THANKS for the frag. I will call and make plans to pick it up. I can also pick up Pams.
Let me know.
James

tfp
09/30/2003, 10:24 AM
james,
that sounds good to me.

Marc Daniels
09/30/2003, 10:45 AM
Chang-

No problem picking yours up, and don't worry about compensation. If you PM me your address/directions I'll drop it off on the way home.

Tim-
I'm still planning on 6:30-7 this evening.
Marc

Photon
09/30/2003, 11:02 AM
Hey Tim,
Almost forgot......I was at Aqua Life yesterday and I think I saw some of your former tank occupants!!!!! Nice fish!!!
James

spfmatt
09/30/2003, 11:17 AM
any left?

Marc Daniels
10/02/2003, 12:55 PM
Tim-

I wanted to thank you again for the frag. Hopefully it will take off in my tank.
Marc

tfp
10/02/2003, 03:30 PM
danieldm,
you're welcome. i hope he grows out into something special. so far, the frags i've kept are doing fine.

tim

changhsu
10/02/2003, 10:32 PM
Hi Tim,

I want to thank you for your generosity. I heard from Marc that you have a remarkable 300 gal tank. Marc pointed it out to me at:

http://air_plaza.tripod.com/plazas/id28.html

Wow, it would be great to see it in person!

Hi Marc,

I want to thank you for your kindness and patience with me. And thank you for looking at my tank and giving me many valuable comments.

I wonder if anyone will have time to post pictures of their frags so that I can compare them with mine and try to gauge the health of my frag.

I have much to learn from all of you. Thanks again to all! :)

-chang

Photon
10/03/2003, 01:34 PM
Tim,
THANKS for the frag! It has great color and looked fine this morning.
I always enjoy seeing your tank and how things are progressing. It looks GREAT!

:rollface:

James

tfp
10/03/2003, 04:11 PM
you guys (and Pam) are all welcome! :)
i really hope the frags prosper in your systems.
changhsu, swing by if you're ever out in folsom.

tim

headshrink
10/16/2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by tfp
i bought a wild colony (will never do that again) 2 months ago that has stn.

tim

Tim,
What exactly is a Wild Colony" and why is it bad? What is stn?

tfp
10/16/2003, 12:41 PM
headshrink,
i'd consider coral colonies taken directly from the oceans that make their way to our systems wild colonies. of course, all our corals began that way. but we've got better odds on tank-raised frags that are 2nd,3rd,etc. generation frags that are used to our environments. the colonies taken directly from the oceans are used to certain variables and i hear that their survivability rates are low.

stn is slow tissue necrosis where the actual coral tissue falls of the coral over a period of weeks (vs rtn in hours/days).

tfp
11/28/2003, 11:58 AM
just a 2 month followup on the frags...

they are doing great and encrusting on their base and growing out at their tips too.

a very pretty forrest green. has anyone else experienced different coloration with theirs? i've got mine mounted pretty low beneath a 175w 10k ushio which is over the center tank brace!

Marc Daniels
11/28/2003, 12:37 PM
Tim-

Mine went RTN just a few days after I picked it up from you. I had it about a foot under a 175 halide running 20k, and it was also getting lighting from a 175 halide running a 6500k. I have other SPS corals in the same area of the tank that are thriving.

Marc

tfp
11/28/2003, 04:09 PM
marc,
well that sucks. lmk if you want to try another frag of it.

tim

Photon
11/29/2003, 08:50 PM
Hey tim,
The sarmentosa frags are both doing great and growing quite a bit. They are an intense dark green color.
Mine is located on a piece of rubble in the bottom of the tank under 400 W 20k lighting.
Thanks,
James

changhsu
11/29/2003, 11:00 PM
I'm sorry to say that mine also RTN'd after about two or three weeks. Mine was in a 12 gal nano, a few inches away from a 96W PC 50/50 10k/actinic. I even tried adding an extra 34W from the side to no avail.

I think the problem might either be my water chemistry (I just started kalk not long before) or because I didn't use glue but wedged it in a crack which might have caused the polyps at the bottom to start dying.

(I've seen quite a few people with SPS in a nano under PC lights on http://www.nano-reef.com/)

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their generosity and helpful tips. I have a lot to learn.

budgetyourself
12/03/2003, 12:18 AM
Hi Tim, my frag is doing great, encrusting on the rock and starting to grow out at the tips. I have it in a frag tank about 8 inches under a 175 MH. Thanks, Pam

Marc Daniels
12/03/2003, 12:21 AM
Pam-
What Kelvin is the halide that you're running it under?

Marc

budgetyourself
12/03/2003, 11:37 AM
Marc, a 10 K - 175 MH. I was concerned that the corals would not color up under that, but the frags seem to be coloring up quite well, blues and purples are all looking good.

Marc Daniels
12/03/2003, 12:31 PM
I also had mine in a frag tank, about 8" under water. It was directly below a 20k 175w and also received side lighting for another 175 halide running a 6500k about 2 feet away.

Mine started going RTN after almost a week, and I fragged three small pieces above the RTN and they also went the same route after a few days. I have other SPS in the same area that are thriving.

tfp
12/03/2003, 02:13 PM
thats one of the challenging aspects of keeping sps :)
these guys seem so sensitive to so many things and can bleach or rtn for unknown reasons, while other sps will thrive.

marc, pm me if you want a couple more to try out (for free of course). ;)

tim