PDA

View Full Version : black sun polyps

bmkindig
09/26/2003, 11:02 PM
hey guys
anyone have any experience with the black sun polyps?i have a set of orange 1's and there great but i just bought a set of black about 2 weeks ago and there not eating or coming out at night like the orange 1's and tonight i noticed that i think the skeleton is starting to show around the base of them. all the normal stuff is good ph, amm, nit,sal,cal, the only thing i can think of is the tempature is jumping up and down front 78 at night to tonight i think it hit like 84 and my tank has been at 79-80 solid for the last year up to this last month with the heat. could that be my problem i'm having problem with my hard corals in general?
thanks
brad

zooqi
09/27/2003, 12:35 AM
Blacks tend to be in a deeper water than other colors and more seen in a cave areas and they are unlike those corals that have zooxanthellae. Corals that have zooxanthellae can survive under the light and they do not need to be fed directly. Sun Polyps and specially black need to be in a darkest area of the tank or at least they tend to do better under low light or no light even some have success keeping them under the light if they keep feeding them. The only reason they grow in drak areas is that they can't compete with zooxanthellase corals and zooxanthellase corals don't grow in dark areas.

zooqi
09/27/2003, 12:45 AM
I just searched and found this article that the author recommends to make them eat and open..
sun polyps (http://www.bomani.com/sunpolyps.html)

bmkindig
09/27/2003, 07:49 AM
hey mo the reef god,
accully i knew that they liked dark araes,so i feed at night thats when i'm most active anyway.i'm concerned about the skeleton starting to show. i've only seen like 1 or 2 polyps out at a time.i feed microvert,phytoplankton and frozen brine/marine cuisine like 3 times/week and i usually don't add them on the same day.
brad

bmkindig
10/03/2003, 11:29 PM
they're starting to do better about 10 polyps came out last night after I fed the tank.
Brad

zooqi
10/04/2003, 12:06 AM
:D
I was blessing it for you and that's why it started to open up.

Originally posted by bmkindig
hey mo the reef god,
accully i knew that they liked dark araes,so i feed at night thats when i'm most active anyway.i'm concerned about the skeleton starting to show. i've only seen like 1 or 2 polyps out at a time.i feed microvert,phytoplankton and frozen brine/marine cuisine like 3 times/week and i usually don't add them on the same day.
brad

bmkindig
10/04/2003, 05:32 PM
thanks mo your the best there is still white at the bottom like skeleton that i'm corcrened about hopefully there getting used to being in my tank and gettting feed regularythat they'll grow

Tagamet
10/08/2003, 10:48 AM
they're starting to do better about 10 polyps came out last night after I fed the tank.
Brad

Have you tried cyclops-eese?
Tagamet

bmkindig
10/08/2003, 08:28 PM
hey tag
whats that and where do i get it whats it do?

Tagamet
10/08/2003, 09:29 PM
hey tag
whats that and where do i get it whats it do?

It's a Teeny tiny decapod that's grown specially in an arctic lake and harvested for our tanks. It's almost like adding a super refugium, only better. The stuff stays suspended in the water collumn and EVERYTHING gets a shot at eating it. It can be target fed too. This stuff is amazing. Do a search here on RC. I did and after reading it all, I posted a question asking for someone to please say SOMETHING bad about it. Someone replied that aips eat it, but that's true of anything fed to the tank.
EXCELLENT stuff. The only problem I've seen is if I don't mix it with other foods now and again, the fish refuse to eat the plain food! They keep waiting for the cyclops.
There's a distributor in NJ, but when I called them to order a big bag, they automatically looked up where I could get smaller bars (3 oz) to hold me over. They shipped the same day and I got it still frozen solid. A little goes so far that I'm still using the 3 oz bar over a month later - and that's only half gone.
HTH,
Tagamet

bmkindig
10/08/2003, 09:54 PM
so it's basicly a frozen food? i thought it was more like an additive to help corals from exposing there skeleton. i feed brine shrimp and marine crusine,and have good results.
thanks larry
brad

Tagamet
10/08/2003, 09:57 PM
so it's basicly a frozen food? i thought it was more like an additive to help corals from exposing there skeleton. i feed brine shrimp and marine crusine,and have good results.
thanks larry
brad

These guys are way higher in nutritional value. I don't know of anything that stops receding tissue, but a well-fed animal is going to fight harder than one eating junk food.
JMO,
Tagamet

bmkindig
10/08/2003, 10:26 PM
is this food easy to find and how expenseive is it
brad

Tagamet
10/08/2003, 10:40 PM
is this food easy to find and how expenseive is it
brad

It's hard to find and expensive. It's perfect (g).
Tagamet