PDA

View Full Version : Sump on the 29G

minfinger
09/25/2003, 08:55 PM
Well I finally got it up and running, but woah was it abig head ache!! I ended up using a whole bag of south down and of course got the sand storm :mad: And I quickly foudn out the the tank side of my overflow box was TOO HIGH in the water!!! Made a small mess :D

Just the same, I got some mad rubble from Tideline Tuesday in their LR shipment!! :D It's good to be me and I got some great pieces to mount rocks too. About 5 lbs total :D I can hook anyone up on the next shipment if you like :D Stinky stuff too.

minfinger
09/26/2003, 11:15 AM
Maybe I'll get some pictures this weekend :D It looked really cool this mroning. I just hope more corals aren't freaking out :(

skipm
09/26/2003, 06:04 PM
What did you end up using for a sump? Did you DIY it with baffles and all? Just wondering what you ended up going with. Later, Skip

minfinger
09/27/2003, 12:58 PM
I found a 20H at Petsmart for a $26, I think on the price.

Here's pics, I hope you can understand, it's the 3D Design file.
The Green on the left is the trickle filter from the overflow. I used a 1" Fiiting in the top, a PVC T 1" to 3/4" and then drilled out the 3/4" pipe. The black platform across the middle is for the skimmer, when I get it, and the carbon/phosguard. The light blue panels are the baffles, as you can see in the 2nd picture, I really lost a lot of space to the baffles, so I redesigned it and this is what I got. A Mag 5 fits perfectly down in the hole.

http://host36.ipowerweb.com/~myyamaha/CR/Images/29G/Sump.jpg

http://host36.ipowerweb.com/~myyamaha/CR/Images/29G/SumpV2.jpg

skipm
09/27/2003, 02:35 PM
Are you planning on a refugium area in the bottom? Or at least a place for some of the LR rubble you got. Looks good, Skip

minfinger
09/27/2003, 03:06 PM
Yeah I put a full bag of South dwon in there, the rubble I got from tideline, some stuff I got from Age yesterday, and I seeded it with a rubbermaid cup full from the main tank. I've got to find some cheap PC lights and then I'll put in some Calupera.

Didn't we talk about using some different kind of light to grow Calupera?

skipm
09/27/2003, 03:47 PM
Macros grow under just about any light source. We mentioned using the Lights of America fixtures once that are compact fluorescent worklights that cost around $20, some WalMarts and Home Depots carry them. I use a NO fluorescent striplight that I had laying around with a plant bulb in it that I picked up at WalMart. I have also read of some people that are using a couple of clamp on incandescent fixtures and the spiral PC bulbs, there are some that are either 5,500k or 6,500k output. I can't remember the brand but I have seen them at Lowes here in town. HTH, Skip

skipm
09/27/2003, 03:48 PM
BTW Mike, if you need some macros to get you started let me know, I can probably get a decent bagful out of my refugium for you. Skip

minfinger
09/27/2003, 04:01 PM
So if I get that Plant light from Walmart, my Macro will grow? That's cool.

I'll have to hit you up on some of that too. I'll trade you for it...

minfinger
09/27/2003, 08:58 PM
Downie told me he'd trade me a frag for some of that Red Macro :D

I picked up a bunch of things from Tideline today :) Didn'ty cost to much, finally got my first green brittle star, put him in the sump, along with 10 crabs, and 1 sand sifting snail. Everyone seems happy.

I also took an old strip light I had and using the one white bulb it had, I stuck it above the sump. It was a doulbe tube 24" bulb. Now all I need is an actinic buld that will fit it, just to look cool ;)

skipm
09/28/2003, 10:10 AM
That striplight will work out great, that is what I am using except it is only a single bulb fixture. I also have an old Coralife Mini-Mite (2-9 watters) on one end.
What kind of red macro do you have? Do you want some bristleworms to go in your refugium too?
Skip

minfinger
09/28/2003, 02:44 PM
Nono no worms. He's got the thick red kind, I forget the name. If you tell me the 2 names I can tell you which one it is.

skipm
09/28/2003, 03:25 PM
If he has any spaghetti worms I want some! They are the ones sold by ipsf.com as mama-mia worms. I keep telling myself that I will make another order from them but I can't find enough things in the 9 for $99 special to make it worthwhile. Skip

minfinger
09/28/2003, 06:19 PM
I've often wondered about them...maybe sometime in the future we can get some people to go in on an order and we'll all split it evenly.