PDA

View Full Version : Float valve question

Staceon
02/10/2000, 12:06 AM
Hello David and thank you for the email. If I go with gravity fed your design is what I will be shooting for.

Is there anyway to set this up without drilling the sump?

David Grigor
02/10/2000, 12:44 AM
You can glue another piece of plexiglass on one of the sides inside of your sump and drill into it. I really can't think of a good way without drilling into something.

David Newman
02/10/2000, 12:55 AM
Staceon, when i set up a gravity feed with a Kent float valve I didn't want to drill the sump either. Instead, I used one of those plastic specimen boxes that hang on the rim of a tank. I simply drilled the box, attached the float valve and hung the box/float valve in the sump. I put a small bag of sand in the box to weigh it down. Works great, and it's removable.

Good luck
David

Staceon
02/10/2000, 11:27 AM
I am looking for a way to set up a reservoir for top off water. Dont know if I need to go with a gravity feed or not? I have never even seen a float value accept in a few pics. I have an acrylic sump, do I have to drill into that to install a float valve? Can you drip the Kalk right into the reservoir? Any suggestions on how this can be done? Basically looking for something that will hold at least 15 gallons and fill up the sump when it drops below a certain line? Or drops in a certain amount everyday?

David Grigor
02/10/2000, 11:41 AM
Staceon,

I just sent you some pictures to your email address of my float valve setup to give you an idea of how.....

Hope it helps......

David Grigor
02/10/2000, 01:08 PM
David Newman,

Your not so stupid after all !!!!!

Just kidding. Good thinking.....

David Newman
02/10/2000, 01:18 PM
David
Actually, I probably am. It's embarassing to think how long it took me to come up with this little solution, all because I was too lazy to empty out the sump and drill it.

David

golfish
02/10/2000, 02:16 PM
if you have the room,I would think a gravity feed top-off system would be alot cheeper....I didn't have the room and went with a float switch...I have a 35 gal holding tank set up outside the window...cost is about 90.00 for the switch from Sipedon and the price of a powerhead.

Mark

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/golfish1/reef.htm

Staceon
02/10/2000, 02:28 PM
David your idea sounds good, but I am a little confused. First what is a "plastic specimen box". Is that similar to what the inside overflow box looks like? How does it work? Is there water coming in the box from underneath in the sump? Or do you fill the box with water and once it drops below a certain line it fills? Where do you drill the hole in the box? Under it, on the side? Do you have any links to a pic?

Does anybody know anything that would hold water that is only about 6 to 8 inches wide and 2 to 4 feet tall. I am going to try to put the top-off between the aquarium and the wall. It's a corner tank with no room left underneath. How easy it to built your own?

NorthCoast
02/10/2000, 02:41 PM
Staceon,

To answer your last question, how about 6" or 8" diameter pvc? All kinds of optional parts for plumbing too.

HTH,
NorthCoast

David Newman
02/10/2000, 02:44 PM
Staceon,
When you go to the LFS to get a fish they typically hang a small plastic box on the outside of the tank and then put the netted fish into the box and take it to where they do the bagging. That hang on box is what you want. Most any LFS will carry it. You drill the side of the box. The Kent float valve accepts a 1/4" (I think) water line which you run from a holding tank that is positioned above the water level of your sump. The water from your holding tank travels to the float valve which is activated when the water begins to drop.

David

Staceon
02/10/2000, 02:49 PM
North,

I think I need to re-word that last question. I am looking for something that will hold the top off water that is 6-8 in wide, 2 to 4 feet deep, AND around 2 feet long. Maybe your idea would work but I am confused as to how? Could you elaborate?

Staceon
02/10/2000, 02:55 PM
David,

Much better description thank you. Just a few more questions. Is it only the water level in the box that determines when water is released into the box? Meaning did you have to do some calibrating to figure when the box level kept the sump level? Is the hole that you drilled in the box sumerged in the sump water or above it? Does the kent value sit inside the box or outside of it? I thank you answering my questions and your time. It has been very helpful.

David Newman
02/10/2000, 03:11 PM
Staceon,
The float valve has a small bulkhead which you pass thru the drilled hole in the side of the box, with the float part outside the box and the fitting which accepts the water line inside the box. To figure out where to drill the hole, hang the box on the inside of the sump and hold the float vlave up to it and find the spot where the water in the sump hits the float and shuts off the valve. The hole will be approx. 2" above the sump water line. Although my box has water in it because I drilled holes in the bottom for another project, there is no reason to have any water inside the box.

Hope this helps
David

Staceon
02/10/2000, 03:52 PM
That explaind it perfectly David, thank you. Now I just need to find that holding container.

grog
02/10/2000, 07:34 PM
David Newman,
Hey, nice call on the container! I received a Kent float valve some time ago and I've never installed it because I have a glass sump. I read your post this morning and went out and bought the aforementioned plastic container for about $5. I drilled it and install the valve and it works like a charm :)

Of course, while I was at my favorite LFS buying the container, I just HAD to pick up some new critters!!!

Thanks,
Grog

Larry M
02/10/2000, 07:40 PM
Good idea, David. How about we draw up something showing that concept and put it on our DIY pages?

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

Nemo
02/10/2000, 08:28 PM
I had the same problem with a glass sump and not being able to drill. I built a tower out of egg crate to mount my float valve. I needed to maintain my water level pretty low in my sump ( 9 in) because of my skimmer. This low water level also allows me extra space for water volume in case my float valve sticks or my return pump fails. Check out my web page for a picture of this tower.

Staceon,
I only have a 5 gallon reservoir for my tank because I wanted to make sure my sump could handle the extra water volume in case the float valve happened to stick. I dose Kalkwasser through this system and was worried about calcium buildup in the valve. You might want to see if your sump can handle the extra 15 gallons.
Try going to Wal mart and look in the container section. I thought I saw a 15 gallon trashcan or storage container with a top that seals on it. This should roughly fit your needs.

This top off system is so simple and such a time saver. It was one of the easiest DIY projects to build and probably the most helpful one I've ever made. I have not had one problem with mine.

Nemo

------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"The sea is everything. It covers seventenths of the terresterial globe. It's breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert where man is never alone, for he feels life quivering around him on every side. "
-Jules Verne-<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Homepage www.wizard.net/~nemo (http://www.wizard.net/~nemo)
nemo@wizard.net

bmw
02/10/2000, 09:50 PM
Hey David,
Please follow up on Larry's suggestion and give him something to put on the DIY page. I know its a pain, but what a help. My situation is different than what you all are discussing , but your solution, I think, is applicable.
thanks.
b.

David Newman
02/11/2000, 06:55 AM
Larry, Glad to do it. I'll try to put something together this weekend and get back to you.

David

Nathan
07/13/2000, 12:55 PM
5 MONTHS PASS

What happened to the diagram that was promised on the DIY pages?

I'd like to see what others have come up with since I'm about to make my top off water system.

-Nathan

JH4
07/13/2000, 01:51 PM
NURCE....

herefishiefishie
07/13/2000, 01:58 PM
I took a different approach.

I use a 32-gallon rubbermaid trashcan in the basement, and plumbed it to a Reef Filler dosing pump that sits next to the sump. The dosing pump has a hose that goes to the sump.

The dosing pump is plugged into a float switch that I attached by lashing it to the side of my turbofloater with cable ties. The setup works great.

HTH

------------------
HFF

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Please be kind to your fish; maintain low stocking levels.
<LI>Visit HFF's Reef. (http://www.thehedgemaze.com/members/shaman/here/index.html)
<LI>Visit the underground poetry gallery at Pen and Sword (http://www.thehedgemaze.com/members/penandsword/index.html)
<LI>E-mail me at radiosomalia@disinfo.net
</UL>